Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: waterproofing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default waterproofing

anyone use corrosion x on their electronics for waterproofing? if so does it work or any other suggestions aside from buying waterproof lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJ802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: waterproofing

i tryed it a few times it seems it would work for 1 dunking the second time it goes under it would fry servos seemed to hold up better than escs

i think it more stopes the corrosion after the dunking than waterproofs it
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i tryed it a few times it seems it would work for 1 dunking the second time it goes under it would fry servos seemed to hold up better than escs

i think it more stopes the corrosion after the dunking than waterproofs it

right on thanks for the feedback, i saw a few similar answers on the reviews

Old 07-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Corrosion X wears off, quickly. I use conformal coating, I have never had a failure. The main thing I use it on are my CC BECs. I take off the heat shrink, and dunk the BEC three times, letting the coating dry about an hour between dunks. I put the heat shrink back on and its good to go.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Corrosion X wears off, quickly. I use conformal coating, I have never had a failure. The main thing I use it on are my CC BECs. I take off the heat shrink, and dunk the BEC three times, letting the coating dry about an hour between dunks. I put the heat shrink back on and its good to go.

right on, i'll try that on mine, was hoping for something to spray on for a receiver but may just have to end up getting a low profile waterproof box

Old 07-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I have used both conformal coating and Corrosion X. I have had the electronics in my Bomber coated with Corrosion X for about 4 years. No issues with anything but the freaking switch on the Mamba X. But the switches are always the weak link. I used the spry on conformal coating on my kids rig. Everything worked great. Never had an issue as with the Corrosion X. Until I went to use the spray can again. Even though I cleaned the nozzle, it still got pugged up with the material. I found the $20.00+ price tag was not worth a one shot application.

My $.02,
FlatLander72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ802 View Post
right on, i'll try that on mine, was hoping for something to spray on for a receiver but may just have to end up getting a low profile waterproof box

You could likely take the RX out of the case, coat it, then put it back. You'll need to cover the pins, the conformal coating will also insulate the pins.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
You could likely take the RX out of the case, coat it, then put it back. You'll need to cover the pins, the conformal coating will also insulate the pins.

really, just one coat so i don't ruin it?, makes me nervous with the pins, but i like the idea with the box, i'll have to give a try, i have 2 extra so if need be and it doesn't work atleast i've tried, thanks for the idea!

Old 07-27-2020, 06:34 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatLander72 View Post
I have used both conformal coating and Corrosion X. I have had the electronics in my Bomber coated with Corrosion X for about 4 years. No issues with anything but the freaking switch on the Mamba X. But the switches are always the weak link. I used the spry on conformal coating on my kids rig. Everything worked great. Never had an issue as with the Corrosion X. Until I went to use the spray can again. Even though I cleaned the nozzle, it still got pugged up with the material. I found the $20.00+ price tag was not worth a one shot application.

My $.02,

yeah it is expensive even for a 6oz can, but i like that you had luck with it, still tryin to figure a route i wanna take but all about trial and error by the sounds!

Old 07-27-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

super glue makes a great waterproof coating i do 2 or 3 coats with th3 superglue and havent had a failure yet but i never tryed it on a esc just becs servos and recivers winch controlers light controlers little stuff
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Conformal coating is by far the best option. imo, it's the only thing anyone should be using to waterproof pcb's at all. Epoxies and CA glue can work well too but you have to be careful not to get something that has conductive additives in it.

If the nozzle clogged after one use I hate to be the guy that points it out but that's user error and can't really be called the fault of the product. I used a spray can of conformal for about 2 yrs until it was empty without issue.

After that spray can was done I switched to the bottle and I use the applicator brush instead. I find the brush-on works much better - the spray can often created air bubbles in the coating that could become failure points if not dealt with.

For both the spray or the brush-on I always do at least 2-3 coats. I treat my rigs like submarines and I've only ever had one of waterproofed Rx's fail once in about 5-6 years.

I use this treatment for any pcb's that need water protection - Rx, BEC, ESC, Switches, winch controllers, etc...

*Don't forget to also use dielectric grease on/in all of the connections points too - it keeps the pins and plugs from corroding.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ802 View Post
really, just one coat so i don't ruin it?, makes me nervous with the pins, but i like the idea with the box, i'll have to give a try, i have 2 extra so if need be and it doesn't work atleast i've tried, thanks for the idea!
An easy way to protect the pins is to plug in some connectors on them or put a wrap of electrical tape around them. Even if you get some on the pins, it's easy to scrape off.

I always recommend 2-4 coats just to ensure you've got it everywhere.

Also, most conformal glows under UV so if you have a black light you can use to check the coverage.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:56 AM   #13

Thanks for your great information i helps me alot.
Bentle is offline   Reply With Quote

waterproofing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
waterproofing JtsYfz450 Electronics 2 01-29-2012 01:20 PM
waterproofing The Bandit Axial SCX-10 16 06-25-2010 06:14 PM
waterproofing axialartr Newbie General 3 02-11-2009 10:24 PM
waterproofing help 4x4wheelier General Crawlers 1 12-24-2008 09:34 AM
Waterproofing?.. InFlames Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 11-03-2008 09:31 PM