Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba AUX wire question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2020, 05:44 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Mamba AUX wire question

Got a Mamba micro x setup yesterday and am trying to get the AUX wire setup to adjust the braking force. It seems no matter what I do for settings on my TX the brake is always full on ( truck will nose stand when letting off the throttle ).

I know the aux wire is working as if I set it to reverse on / off that works from the TX but the brake force doesn't seem to adjust ( or is the brake on these just that strong ? )

Im using the esc with a Spektrum DX5 Rugged hooked to aux 3 on the 5ch receiver it comes with via a Y harness ( also have my BEC on this port ). Is it the BEC that's causing this to happen? I didn't think the BEC would use the signal wire for anything when hooked to a receiver.

Any help would be great
Damion10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2020, 06:01 AM   #2
RCO
Pebble Pounder

Default Mamba AUX wire question

Did you tried it without the Y harness?
And did u set it on AX1 Lin?

Looking at the servomonitor is helpful to make sure something is changing on the right channel!

Last edited by RCO; 08-01-2020 at 06:08 AM.
RCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mamba AUX wire question

Do you have the Aux wire set to adjust max brake force or drag brake? In the forward/reverse mode used on crawlers, the drag brake controls the amount of brake strength and basically cancels out the max brake force setting.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Do you have the Aux wire set to adjust max brake force or drag brake? In the forward/reverse mode used on crawlers, the drag brake controls the amount of brake strength and basically cancels out the max brake force setting.
Its adjusted for max brake force, but if the drag brake overrides that then its kind of a moot point then....

Ill try adjusting it so it either controls the drag brake or have a small slope set before the drag brake bites in too hard.

Side note / question, is it ok to run the BEC with the signal wire not attached to the RX? I don't really see where the signal wire has any function other than when its being programmed.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
RCO
Pebble Pounder

signalwire is just for programming
RCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Play around with the drag brake ramp setting.

But also why would you even want brakes on a crawler?
If you have a drag brake turned on in a crawler you will never be able to actually use brakes because the drag brake kicks in so quickly. Try to use it and you'll likely find yourself in reverse.

Adjusting braking force is more of a racing specific thing, or are you actually racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion10 View Post
Got a Mamba micro x setup yesterday and am trying to get the AUX wire setup to adjust the braking force. It seems no matter what I do for settings on my TX the brake is always full on ( truck will nose stand when letting off the throttle ).
Your "nose standing" is due to drag brake not braking.

Brakes and drag brakes dont typically get used together. If you want to use brakes you'll want to turn the drag brake off and switch to a delayed reverse which isnt good for crawling.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-01-2020 at 11:58 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Ahh thanks for the info on braking, I figured it was the brake doing the nose stands, I don't know why but I thought drag brake only kicked in after the rig is stopped. So the process would be ( as I saw it anyway ) throttle-brake-drag brake.

I don't NEED the braking per se but I have a fancy new toy with this option and the brake adjustment seemed to be the best option that I would use. I can't think of when I would want to lock out reverse, limit my throttle etc....
Old 08-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I think the most useful AUX wire functions are the rock race mode and adjustable drag brake.

Adjustable drag brake is just like it sounds.

The rock race mode allows you to set a point at which when you go below a certain drag brake strength it switches into a mode where the reverse type is switched to delayed reverse so you can bash and be able to coast (depending on how you set it up) and have brakes.
Rock race mode is a little tricky to dial in but I've only used it on 1 rig that had a 2 speed and a brushless setup, trying to drive that rig quickly resulted in a bunch of roll overs without the rock race mode.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:22 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I plugged it in and set the aux wire for drag brake adjustment. Probably won't need 100% drag brake when trailing but can turn it up when it gets tougher. I haven't tried it out as of yet though
Old 08-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Just tried it out and now it works as expected. On 0% it just gradually rolls to a stop ( have the brake set to 50% ), then next click is half way and rolls a second then stops, next click is full on which is nose standing.

It'll be nice to be able to choose how I want it to behave throughout a run.

Thanks for the help and clearing the brake thing up!!

Side note this new system ( Mamba mini X as topic says and Slate 2850 motor crawler edition ) is leaps ahead of the 35 turn brushed system I was using, smooth slow speed and unreal wheel speed and torque, I think 3s is going to be the next move.

Mamba AUX wire question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Castle Mamba X AUX Wire Glitch Techno Duck Electronics 12 07-19-2020 10:38 PM
CC Mamba X (white) aux wire Fishcharger Electronics 25 03-24-2019 07:35 PM
Setting up GT3C channel 3 for Monster X aux wire? mass-hole Electronics 6 03-19-2019 08:31 AM
Mamba X aux wire glitch, can't get it to work properly Antsiranean Electronics 6 02-17-2019 03:50 AM