Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4 wheel steering conversion problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2020, 09:53 PM   #1

Default 4 wheel steering conversion problems

So I'm adding rear steering to my Everest 10, and I got a simple stupid question.

I think I need a y-split adapter to connect my rear servo up with my front steering servo. BUT, I saw a video somewhere that I need to reverse the rear servo (?) so that it turns, and doesn't just crab crawl. I can't seem to find a y-spit adapter with a reverse adapted for the rear servo. Any help would be appreciated...I'd be most happy if I could get a link to or a part number for the wires that I need.

Thanks in advance for any help.
ShaynDaPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2020, 10:11 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 4 wheel steering conversion problems

Can you just flip rear servo opposite of front servo?

You'd be better off using a different ch for the rear servo if you radio will allow it.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Do NOT use a Y-harness for 4WS. '4WS' does NOT specifically mean "front & rear wheels turning opposite each other". Before explaining, to properly do 4WS on a vehicle, you need four things:
1) A transmitter that had 4WS modes.
2) A 3-channel (or greater) receiver, with at least one unused channel.
3) Two servos (preferably identical)
4) A second front axle, to be used at the rear.

While I have somewhat limited experience in the crawler side of RC, I have come to realize that axle-mounted servos are a better, and easier, way to don't 4WS, compared to chassis-mounted servos. As for my 2nd sentence, yes, the front & rear wheels turning opposite each other is one 4WS mode, but having front/rear toning the same direction is another. A third mode is front-only steering, and a fourth is rear-only steering. With a Tx that offers true/full 4WS modes, you have the ability to switch between all four modes. If you use a Y-harness, all you're going to get is to servos rotating identically to each other...that's not "4WS".

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Do NOT use a Y-harness for 4WS. '4WS' does NOT specifically mean "front & rear wheels turning opposite each other". Before explaining, to properly do 4WS on a vehicle, you need four things:
1) A transmitter that had 4WS modes.
2) A 3-channel (or greater) receiver, with at least one unused channel.
3) Two servos (preferably identical)
4) A second front axle, to be used at the rear.

While I have somewhat limited experience in the crawler side of RC, I have come to realize that axle-mounted servos are a better, and easier, way to don't 4WS, compared to chassis-mounted servos. As for my 2nd sentence, yes, the front & rear wheels turning opposite each other is one 4WS mode, but having front/rear toning the same direction is another. A third mode is front-only steering, and a fourth is rear-only steering. With a Tx that offers true/full 4WS modes, you have the ability to switch between all four modes. If you use a Y-harness, all you're going to get is to servos rotating identically to each other...that's not "4WS".

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
More or less, this is the right way to go about it. It gives you controllable 4WS. I run 4WS on my Bomber, and I just run the back servo off of the slider on my DX5R, its a little cheesy, but it works.

But, if you are just looking a simple steering system that turns the front and back wheels opposite of each other you can just install a Y-harness, connect everything and see if it works. If it doesn't work properly, just install a servo reverser on to the back axle's servo:

https://www.davesrce.com/product-pag...servo-reverser
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I make a controller that gets you most of the way there:
4 Wheel Steering Controller
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote

4 wheel steering conversion problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ECX Temper 4 wheel steering conversion driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 03-06-2016 05:09 PM
front motor mount conversion problems evolution Axial SCX-10 4 09-20-2015 11:49 PM
Mad Torque 4 wheel steering conversion kits: in stock renezfd General Crawlers 3 05-17-2013 05:47 AM
wraith steering conversion summitcrawler Axial SCX-10 2 04-01-2012 07:00 AM
Integy Crawler Conversion Problems SpikeX HPI Wheely King 0 03-26-2009 05:14 PM