Notices

Thread: 3D Printing help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 3D Printing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
HumboltEF, you have a MK3, would you say it's worth the extra $550ish? If so, what features does it have that make it worth that much? I know you said the MK3 doesn't need upgrades/troubleshooting, but if your only doing PLA and PETG, you don't really need upgrades on the Ender than a Capricorn Bowden, right? Not being a smart-ass, but legitimately asking because I have a spool of PETG that I want to start printing with when I get good at printing in PLA.
I'll just start by framing my "hobby budget", I have no kids, no SO, no payments beyond rent. Due to this I spend a silly amount of my income on my hobbies (emphasis on the silly part). This is just what I typically do with new tools, go overkill so theres hopefully no need to buy another or upgrade later etc.

I cant say that I can quantify where the extra value comes from in a way that applies to you like it did to me. I'll just list things I like about it. Defaults work very well, power loss protection, filament sensor, flexible build plate, it can print flexible filament with default settings (which is rare but also depends on which specific filament). I was able to focus on learning CAD instead of troubleshooting the printer which was my biggest concern having watched from the sideline for years. That last point alone made it all worth it to me which is what I was trying to convey earlier.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I'll just start by framing my "hobby budget", I have no kids, no SO, no payments beyond rent. Due to this I spend a silly amount of my income on my hobbies (emphasis on the silly part). This is just what I typically do with new tools, go overkill so theres hopefully no need to buy another or upgrade later etc.

I cant say that I can quantify where the extra value comes from in a way that applies to you like it did to me. I'll just list things I like about it. Defaults work very well, power loss protection, filament sensor, flexible build plate, it can print flexible filament with default settings (which is rare but also depends on which specific filament). I was able to focus on learning CAD instead of troubleshooting the printer which was my biggest concern having watched from the sideline for years. That last point alone made it all worth it to me which is what I was trying to convey earlier.

Is the filament sensor for if it runs out during a print, it stops? I can see that being really useful. Power loss protection is nice, we have a few power outages each month, it’s normal here lmao.

Thanks for letting me know why you like the MK3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Yeah the filament sensor stops the print just like the power loss protection will. After that point you can reload filament/wait for the power to come back on and then continue the print. If the print has cooled down its best to preheat for a while to try to get heat back into the top layer as the next layer going down doesn't usually bond as well.

But while the strength (layer adhesion) may suffer at least the print wont be a total waste. If I'm going for strength though I will start a print over if its cooled down too much.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:53 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Yeah the filament sensor stops the print just like the power loss protection will. After that point you can reload filament/wait for the power to come back on and then continue the print. If the print has cooled down its best to preheat for a while to try to get heat back into the top layer as the next layer going down doesn't usually bond as well.

But while the strength (layer adhesion) may suffer at least the print wont be a total waste. If I'm going for strength though I will start a print over if its cooled down too much.

Oh yeah, I didn’t even think about structural integrity dropping if you start back up in middle of a print.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Default 3D Printing help

Man, the overnight print curse is ruthless! Everyone has it lmao!

I printed a bed for my Bronco, and it messed up at around 97% if I had to guess. It’s still useable, just the frame rails poke out a little, no big deal. I printed it vertically to not have supports so I cut down time from 22hrs to 8hrs. I think what happened was the hot end didn’t have enough time to raise up before moving and it hit the top where there is a ding at. Woke up to the bed on it’s side off of the print bed and a small filament web lol.

No more overnight prints lol!

Here you can see where I think the nozzle clipped it and knocked it over. I’m just going to use it, I don’t really care.

It looks decent. Hell, I’m probably change it up 5 times

Old 12-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

That sucks. I have had a few prints get goofed right at the end like that but it was because the filament was wrapped on the spool. Never fun to have a print get buggered right at the end.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote

3D Printing help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3d Printing Help MaX-D Paint and Body 0 12-10-2019 04:41 PM
3D printing?? vwdaveb Tools, and Procedures 2 05-08-2015 11:55 PM
Looking for 3-d printing help scale4x4 Chit Chat 2 05-02-2013 04:14 PM