Thread: Reccomend a dual charger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Reccomend a dual charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
@Kingmeow
Thanks for all the details. I was more lost than I thought!

So now that I think I get what's going on, I can NOT charge two full sized packs with a parallel board on my Thunder AC6.
If I want to charge (two) 4000mAh packs at 1C (4.0 amps), I would need 59.2 watts, but my charger's max output is 50 watts.
Perfect! You get the idea here. You can still charge them with your AC6 even though it puts out max 50 watts and you want 59.2 watts out of it. It'll just reduce the charge current so it'll take slightly longer to charge (59W and not that far off from 50W).

Quote:
It would, however, work on my 1.7mAh packs because 1C would only be 1.7 watts.
I think you mean 1700 mAh which means at 1C it's 1.7A, not watts. Assuming it's a 2S pack, that's about 13 watts.

Quote:
So, with my smaller crawler packs i could potentially charge 4 at once at almost 1C.
Right?
Also, if I did want to charge all four, would it take about the same time as charging just one because the charger would simply output more wattage?
Correct. Four of your 2S 1700 mAh at 1C, charges parallel will need 50.32 watts (4 x 12.5. Pretty much at the limit of your 50 watt charger. Yes, it would take the same time as charging one pack.

I also want to make you aware of something else that *may* further limit you due to your charger's specification. Hopefully this won't confuse you more. All chargers have a max not only in power (watts) but in current (amps). For example your AC6 is 50 watts max. But it may also have a max current, let's just say 6A. You may reach one or the other first and it will reduce your charge rate, resulting in increase charge time.

Let's take your 2S 1700 mAh pack as an example. Charging four will need 50 watts, which your AC6 can handle since it's 50 watts max. BUT, your charging current needed is 4 x 1.7A = 6.8A. And assuming your max current is 6A, the charger will scale back to 6A since you reached that limit and not the 50 watts limit first. You need to check the spec of your AC6.

For my Revolectrix GT1000, it's 1000 watts with a max charge current of 40A. Yeah, it can charge big packs in parallel with no problem.

EDIT:
Looks like the AC6 can only do max 5A. So since your really need 6.8A in the above example to charge at 1C, you will charge at a lesser current of 5A, less than 1C, thus your charge time will take longer. BUT, it will still be quicker than if you charge one pack at a time.

https://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman108 View Post
Hi there I hate to say it but Traxxas EZ Peak Live as much as I don't like Traxxas other than TRX4 and Slash most everything else is sub par to use nice language but the charger is easy to use and works flawlessly I use strictly xt60 connectors and I just bought off amazon a plug and I have all my lips saved on the app on my pad and I always check the cells and they are always on point I gave up on all the other complicated chargers an like I said I don't use Traxxas batteries anymore I]or most anything Traxxas IMO... BUZZZZ...
It's max is 100 watts, with a max 12A for 2S and 9A for 3S packs. Not bad. $80 at Amain. It has the Traxxas name thus the Traxxas first rate support. But there are better spec'ed chargers out there with better prices. Of course you won't have the first rate support that Traxxas can give you. Some people care and some people don't.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/c...-live-12amp-id
Old 10-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #43
j0e
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
Perfect! You get the idea here. You can still charge them with your AC6 even though it puts out max 50 watts and you want 59.2 watts out of it. It'll just reduce the charge current so it'll take slightly longer to charge (59W and not that far off from 50W).

I think you mean 1700 mAh which means at 1C it's 1.7A, not watts. Assuming it's a 2S pack, that's about 13 watts.

Correct. Four of your 2S 1700 mAh at 1C, charges parallel will need 50.32 watts (4 x 12.5. Pretty much at the limit of your 50 watt charger. Yes, it would take the same time as charging one pack.

I also want to make you aware of something else that *may* further limit you due to your charger's specification. Hopefully this won't confuse you more. All chargers have a max not only in power (watts) but in current (amps). For example your AC6 is 50 watts max. But it may also have a max current, let's just say 6A. You may reach one or the other first and it will reduce your charge rate, resulting in increase charge time.

Let's take your 2S 1700 mAh pack as an example. Charging four will need 50 watts, which your AC6 can handle since it's 50 watts max. BUT, your charging current needed is 4 x 1.7A = 6.8A. And assuming your max current is 6A, the charger will scale back to 6A since you reached that limit and not the 50 watts limit first. You need to check the spec of your AC6.

For my Revolectrix GT1000, it's 1000 watts with a max charge current of 40A. Yeah, it can charge big packs in parallel with no problem.

EDIT:
Looks like the AC6 can only do max 5A. So since your really need 6.8A in the above example to charge at 1C, you will charge at a lesser current of 5A, less than 1C, thus your charge time will take longer. BUT, it will still be quicker than if you charge one pack at a time.

https://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

@Kingmeow
You rock, man!
Thanks for all of that. I can't believe I keep typo-ing my my mAh amounts.
lol
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #44
j0e
Rock Crawler

Quote:
... I would get this Hobby King Turnigy Reaktor charger instead. Cheaper ($65), 2 x 150 watts, calculates internal resistance, touch screen, etc. US warehouse for fast shipping. Seems to have good reviews.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...en_us_products

@Kingmeow
Which do you think sounds like a better deal; the one quoted above or this one?...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/0620-20a...version-2.html

This Reaktor states 300W and 20A, but I'd also need the parallel board for two at once.
Ultimately, I'd like to be able to charge (2) 5000+ mAh 2s packs at the same time.
Maybe some day I'll try a 3s, so I'd like the option of two 3s packs, too.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
@Kingmeow
Which do you think sounds like a better deal; the one quoted above or this one?...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/0620-20a...version-2.html

This Reaktor states 300W and 20A, but I'd also need the parallel board for two at once.
Ultimately, I'd like to be able to charge (2) 5000+ mAh 2s packs at the same time.
Maybe some day I'll try a 3s, so I'd like the option of two 3s packs, too.

That’s a dc only charger. Not sure if you’re aware of that.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

What Benp ^ said. If you could survive on DC only, which means you have to factor in an additional $25-$30 for the power supply, the 300W is definitely better. Always go with more power. However, if you want AC/DC then the earlier one I quoted is the one to go.

A lot of the airplane guys have the 300W one. Can do 20A! (Tim the Tool Man grunt) More power!

I wouldn't worry about 1 port vs. 2 ports as with 300W just slap a paraboard on it and you're golden! It's all about the power. You can buy a 4 port charger but if it maxes out at 50W (as an example), you're never going to use all 4 ports at once unless you are charging 2S 400 mAh packs!

Last edited by Kingmeow; 10-21-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Default Reccomend a dual charger?

Quote:
What Benp ^ said. If you could survive on DC only, which means you have to factor in an additional $25-$30 for the power supply, the 300W is definitely better. Always go with more power. However, if you want AC/DC then the earlier one I quoted is the one to go.

A lot of the airplane guys have the 300W one. Can do 20A! (Tim the Tool Man grunt) More power!

I wouldn't worry about 1 port vs. 2 ports as with 300W just slap a paraboard on it and you're golden! It's all about the power. You can buy a 4 port charger but if it maxes out at 50W (as an example), you're never going to use all 4 ports at once unless you are charging 2S 400 mAh packs!

Thanks for the links to Hobbyking and the Turnigy chargers!!!!

I am really digging that Touch 300!!!!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=pt_pt

If my Hota gives up the ghost that’s what is replacing it.

Last edited by Benp; 10-21-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Thanks for the links to Hobbyking and the Turnigy chargers!!!!

I am really digging that Touch 300!!!!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=pt_pt

If my Hota gives up the ghost that’s what is replacing it.
There you go! 300 watts AND AC/DC power.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #49
j0e
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
That’s a dc only charger. Not sure if you’re aware of that.

I was NOT aware of that! Thanks.
I do have an old pc power supply that I could convert...
Also, what if I used a laptop power brick with 19.5v and 4.7A?
Seems like it wouldn't be strong enough, right?
Old 10-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I was NOT aware of that! Thanks.
I do have an old pc power supply that I could convert...
Also, what if I used a laptop power brick with 19.5v and 4.7A?
Seems like it wouldn't be strong enough, right?
It *might* be ok. That power brick is roughly 90 watts so it might do temporarily. But why buy a 300W charger and throw a 90W power supply on it?

The link I gave above with the $25 server power supply from Ready Made RC would fit this perfectly.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:32 AM   #51
j0e
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It *might* be ok. That power brick is roughly 90 watts so it might do temporarily. But why buy a 300W charger and throw a 90W power supply on it?

Good point!
Guess I had a brain fart.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:30 AM   #52
j0e
Rock Crawler

@Kingmeow
I need to check out my old computer power supply and see what kind of output it has.
What sort of numbers should I be looking for if I want to power a 300W charger?
I assume I'd need the power supply to provide MORE watts and amps than the charger...?

As a novice, I might be better off just buying an AC/DC charger, but I do like fiddling with electronics.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
@Kingmeow
I need to check out my old computer power supply and see what kind of output it has.
What sort of numbers should I be looking for if I want to power a 300W charger?
I assume I'd need the power supply to provide MORE watts and amps than the charger...?

As a novice, I might be better off just buying an AC/DC charger, but I do like fiddling with electronics.
See how many amps the 12V line puts out.

Watts = volts x amps
Watts =12 x ?

Yes, a little bit of a head room is better (due to inefficiency, heat, etc.) but 300 watts is a lot of power! As an example, a 2S (7.4V) pack would be 40,000 mAh to be 300 watts! How many 2S packs do you have that would add up to 40,000 mAh? You'll run out of connections on the parallel board.

Even if you use 3S (11.1V), that's still 27,000 mAh.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

For those who are stilling thinking about this and needing a power supply, ReadyMadeRC is having a Black Friday sale going on now for their 24V (TWENTY-FOUR volts) 400W power supply with XT60 connector for $19.

That's an amazing price for something you don't have to fiddle with. Just plug and go!

https://www.readymaderc.com/products...er-supply-xt60
Old 11-28-2020, 01:12 AM   #55
Rock Stacker

Glad I ran across this thread. I'm in the process of upgrading to LiPos and have a choice of connectors. Everything is currently Tamiya NiMH.

It seem that Deans (T style) connectors are very popular. However, from what I read the XT60 or IC3 seem a bit more robust. I'm sure Traxxas won't change anytime soon and Axial looks like they are leaning on IC3 on the SCX10 III.

I'm leaning towards the XT60 my self.

I know I can change them on the battery and/or charger, but is there a trend happening? Like - "Oh no, don't us the XT60. No one uses that!" or "Yeh everyone uses Deans".

Also it doesn't look like the chargers come with all the connector options, which is annoying. Do they typically include them or do I need to buy them are they all 4mm bullets? The documentation sort of sucks on the chargers.

Thoughts?
itr1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Default Reccomend a dual charger?

Trend was everyone used Deans, back a couple of years, all switched to XT60, because they are easier to solder and grip to separate.

I’ve found all the leads with banana plugs available easily, XT, Deans, Traxxas, Futaba (life)

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:43 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

To this day there is still no standard. The big three are (in no specific order) XT60/90, EC3/5, Deans. Pick one you like and stick with it for all your stuff.

Arguing over which one is better is like asking "Which is the best crawler?" Good only if you are doing life imprisonment with your cell mate and have plenty of time.

And if you are concerned about playing nice with your friends' stuff you can always make or buy adapters.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

The deans aren't rated for as many amps as the xt60s, and they tend to wear out faster. They are ok for low amp draw brushed crawlers, but don't hold up well in brushless applications. So if all you will ever own is brushed crawlers, deans are ok, but if you have other 1/10 vehicles running brushless systems, you'll want something better like the xt60s on all your vehicles so you only have 1 connector to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Deans are popular with the people that haven’t bothered changing out their connectors for whatever reason, XT60s are a popular choice for anyone who has picked up the hobby in the last 5-7 years or gave up on Deans, EC3s and EC5s are the standard of Horizon RTR vehicles and will only become more popular. There is also a strange bit of regionalism going on with connector choice as the connector that every one uses by you may be rarely used the next state over.

I try to keep it simple and run XT60s on everything but my 1/8 scale 4S+ trucks which get EC5s.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

One more thing. The EC3/5 connectors are use once and discard. The bullet connectors snap into the house and you can't remove them without damage.

Reccomend a dual charger? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a new charger 2s 3s 4s 6s Dual or Quad cpu77 Electronics 7 05-08-2017 07:59 PM
New Dual Charger Time kkipp9 Electronics 7 01-03-2017 06:56 PM
can anybody reccomend a HobbyKing charger? LoneRanger Electronics 12 08-14-2014 01:32 PM
Reccomend me a charger! grob23 Electronics 17 05-18-2009 06:48 PM