Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How Do You Wire 2 1080’s Together?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How Do You Wire 2 1080’s Together?

Got a Bully II, was gonna use a Holmes BR Mini Dual ESC but can’t find them anywhere. So I have 2 Hobbywing 1080’s and a Holmes V3 Servo sitting here. Can someone show or explain to me how to wire these 2 1080’s together for use in my Bully II comp crawler? Thanks
cloudswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
j0e
Rock Crawler

Default Re: How Do You Wire 2 1080’s Together?

You could most likely just use a Y adapter at the rx to control both tat the same time.
You'd then need two batteries; one for each esc. You could probably Y the batteries together, too.

It'd be easier (and pretty cheap) just to run a dual motor esc like the HW 880.
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...18212301930611
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

No big deal. I run a BRMD which is just two ESC’s together. Only thing is to need to mix the channels, My Futaba does that for me. You must disconnect one red wire between the two before plugging into your RX. What TX are you using

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
No big deal. I run a BRMD which is just two ESC’s together. Only thing is to need to mix the channels, My Futaba does that for me. You must disconnect one red wire between the two before plugging into your RX. What TX are you using

Hang up and Drive
I’m using the Airtronics/Sanwa MT4. My plan was to copy the guy’s rig in Finland who won those comps with a Bully II, so that would have been Holmes Team Puller 500 Motors, the BRMD, Holmes V3 Servo, and MT4. Both the BRMD and motors are vaporware at this point .. so I gotta do something. At this point I have the Holmes servo, 1 Hobbywing1080 and another coming on Tuesday, the stock RC4WD motors, and the MT4. So now I need like a diagram/instructions that say i.e. ‘take this wire from the 1080 and solder it to here’ Yeah complete and utter electronics idiot here, I can solder great .. but that’s about it. I was looking last month for someone to just wire this up for me but that didn’t pan out, so I’m at the mercy of someone talking me through this, heck I’ll even pay someone for their time. In the 1:1 world when I’ve had problems getting a locker installed in an axle, or some other issue in my Jeep I’d buy a bunch of beer and pizza and 10 guys from the club who knew what they were doing would show up on Saturday and practically do all the work for me lol. Different world now. Thanks man for chiming in
Old 10-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default How Do You Wire 2 1080’s Together?

Don’t overthink the wiring . Each esc gets plugged into a separate channel on your rx. Disconnect one red wire from one esc..... that’s it , you still need to program each esc, and calibrate each to the rx as normal. Now set your mix on your TX. If you want 7.4 volts to your servo pick up a Holmes rx bypass cord.

I’d be good with beer and pie , but that’s a long road trip. So check locally at the LHS for some locals
Hang up and Drive
Old 10-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Don’t overthink the wiring . Each esc gets plugged into a separate channel on your rx. Disconnect one red wire from one esc..... that’s it , you still need to program each esc, and calibrate each to the rx as normal. Now set your mix on your TX. If you want 7.4 volts to your servo pick up a Holmes rx bypass cord.

I’d be good with beer and pie , but that’s a long road trip. So check locally at the LHS for some locals
Hang up and Drive
Hey thanks Mike, yeah Calif. and Florida .. a smidge of a drive, but worth it for my wife’s home made Dutch Apple pie Ok so I remove 1 of the 1080’s red wire that goes to the receiver, but how do I go about getting power to both ESC’s from my 1 battery? Thanks again man!

Last edited by cloudswimmer; 10-22-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswimmer View Post
Hey thanks Mike, yeah Calif. and Florida .. a smidge of a drive, but worth it for my wife’s home made Dutch Apple pie Ok so I remove 1 of the 1080’s red wire that goes to the receiver, but how do I go about getting power to both ESC’s from my 1 battery? Thanks again man!

No problem.... Dutch Apple?Mmmmmmm!
Just butt both power leads together, shrink wrap / solder. Biggest “trick” is properly calibrating to the TX, do each individually (I just do each on ch2 separately) I use XT60 plugs, you can stack them, but it’s not needed .

Keep it simple, it’s just tiny trucks!

Hang up and Drive
Old 10-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Mike is correct, just remove the red wire from one esc. But the issue is they don't like being calibreted at the same time. So calibrate them before you install them. I recomend pulling the red crimp from the plug, and heat shrink it. Also the 1080 dosent offer ccw/cw motor direction, so one motor gets soldered backwards.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Just an FYI. Holmes posted on facebook today that he got the BR mini's in and was going to be soldering some up for BR Duals and RTR's.
Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkul8r View Post
Just an FYI. Holmes posted on facebook today that he got the BR mini's in and was going to be soldering some up for BR Duals and RTR's.
Hmmm .. can’t find that post on Holmes Hobbies Facebook page, is it their regular Facebook page?
Old 10-23-2020, 12:00 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No problem.... Dutch Apple?Mmmmmmm!
Just butt both power leads together, shrink wrap / solder. Biggest “trick” is properly calibrating to the TX, do each individually (I just do each on ch2 separately) I use XT60 plugs, you can stack them, but it’s not needed .

Keep it simple, it’s just tiny trucks!

Hang up and Drive
Ok so just bring the battery wires together from each ESC and solder together .. then solder another wire onto those that has my battery connector on the other end, so in effect I’m creating a Y setup? Then on connectors is XT60 now the new thing? Back when I started here Deans was kinda the popular connector .. so all my batteries including my 4 Brood 3S 850mah I bought for this Bully II have Deans, is it worth it to switch everything over to XT60’s? Thanks again!
Old 10-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok so just bring the battery wires together from each ESC and solder together .. then solder another wire onto those that has my battery connector on the other end, so in effect I’m creating a Y setup? Then on connectors is XT60 now the new thing? Back when I started here Deans was kinda the popular connector .. so all my batteries including my 4 Brood 3S 850mah I bought for this Bully II have Deans, is it worth it to switch everything over to XT60’s? Thanks again!

XT60 vs Deans, personal choice. As a mater of fact, my Bullyll has Deans on it, only one left in my fleet, but as I run small batteries (600-850) Deans has always worked fine.

Hang up and Drive
Old 10-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
XT60 vs Deans, personal choice. As a mater of fact, my Bullyll has Deans on it, only one left in my fleet, but as I run small batteries (600-850) Deans has always worked fine.

Hang up and Drive
Ok cool I’ll just leave it Deans for now. So I have it right on Y’ing both ESC’s power to one lead that goes to the battery?
Old 10-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Yup just make sure they are Bl/Bl
Y/Y . Remember though each still must be turned on , and no bypassing the switches

Hang up and Drive
Old 10-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yup just make sure they are Bl/Bl
Y/Y . Remember though each still must be turned on , and no bypassing the switches

Hang up and Drive
Bl/Bl Y/Y? Yeah lost a lot of grey matter during my school years
Old 10-28-2020, 01:33 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Bl/Bl Y/Y?
I think he is saying blue to blue and yellow to yellow, but those don't get soldered together. They are motor wires. Its black to black and red to red ::shrug::

Don't forget to remove a red wire from an esc when they are both connected.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:00 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Why not get a Hobbywing 880 and be done with it ??

Last edited by themountain; 10-28-2020 at 02:03 AM.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:10 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I think he is saying blue to blue and yellow to yellow, but those don't get soldered together. They are motor wires. Its black to black and red to red ::shrug::

Don't forget to remove a red wire from an esc when they are both connected.

OOPS, yup red /red Black/black

Hang up and Drive

How Do You Wire 2 1080’s Together? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short Grantmethepower Traxxas TRX-4 13 06-21-2020 01:34 PM
Русские идут (the Russian is coming) - our ironworker goes Scale... nicodrive01 Scale Videos! 8 05-07-2011 10:33 PM