RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Best mini ESC that's programmable? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/621663-best-mini-esc-thats-programmable.html)

Oh How Original 10-24-2020 07:59 AM

Best mini ESC that's programmable?

Not to be pedantic, but I didn't want to post this in the 24th scale crawler section since it's 18th, but I've just got an FTX Outback Mini LC90, I can already see myself having lots of fun with it, so I'd like a more progressive throttle, what's the best go-to brushed ESC for these little beasties?
I plan to put it onto my Spektrum radio with a de-cased SR310.

GA Dawg 10-24-2020 09:03 AM

Re: Best mini ESC that's programmable?

I would go with a Mamba Micro X. People here run them in 1:10 stuff all of the time, but they are technically a 1:18 scale ESC.

Oh How Original 10-24-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Dawg (Post 6049983)
I would go with a Mamba Micro X. People here run them in 1:10 stuff all of the time, but they are technically a 1:18 scale ESC.

I might just be dumb but I didn't really know that was good for a little crawler actually so I hadn't considered it, thanks for the suggestion.

spoo76 10-24-2020 11:11 AM

The 1/18 FTX Outback mini LC80 is just a rebadged HobbyPlus CR-18. Built on modified 1/24th CR-24 parts
You should check out the micro scale crawlers section. Most things that apply to the HobbyPlus CR-24,CR-18, FMS 1/18 Katana, and ATLAS 6x6 will apply to your LC80

Lots of potential with these rigs. I'm my opinion unless you need a new ESC anyway it's not the first place I would start, however here's some info that may help.

If you're on a budget and just want a separate ESC so you can upgrade your radio.
Look for the XYSBL20 for about $8-$10. there's now lots of unlabeled clones of these but I prefer the XYS branded. Look for the one that says no brake. The brake feature it's referring to is the instant reverse versus brake then double tap to reverse a typical car ESC has

Then there's the HobbyPlus upgrade ESC, I believe it still comes in an upgrade kit with a new servo and motor which in your case is the same motor as it was originally considered an upgrade to the CR-24. The ESC may be available separately now.

Now if you want to step up to a higher quality ESC that has a programmable throttle curve, it gets more expensive.

The Mamba Micro X is a great ESC, You definitely shouldn't need the heat sink but the waterproof case and epoxy is nice. If you don't plan on going in the water it's a bit overkill for what you need.

If you're not planning to get it wet then the micro sidewinder is what you'd want for a little less money and a smaller footprint.

Either one if the castle ESCs you'll want a castle link or castle Field card link to connect to your computer So you can change settings especially if you are planning to switch between brushed or brushless mode. It can be done with the transmitter but it's nice to have the link to program the throttle curve and other settings anyway

For a really nice brushed only ESC the Tekken BXR It's also very nice with a very tiny footprint probably the smallest especially with a case. These can be programmed with a hot link to dial in your throttle curve

The Holmes Hobbies mini esc It's probably the most powerful. I believe it will take up to 6s lipo. It's also programmable with the castle link.

Now for upgrades. If you're handy with fabrication a 130 motor instead of the tiny 030 is a nice upgrade for all micro crawlers, But if you prefer a bolt in a solution AsiaTees has 050 sized motors liked you'd find in the 1/24 outback and 1/24 FTX, The only difference is the motor mount holes are the proper location for your transmission so it's a bolt in.

If you're looking for slower crawling and more torque I'd recommend the 050 motor with a 9t pinion and replace your 54t spur gear with the 64t from a 1/24 RGT Adventurer/FTX Outback. They are available on AsiaTees.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Voodoobrew 10-24-2020 12:59 PM

Did you look at the firma spektrum esc reciever combo?

stimpy 10-27-2020 11:14 AM

Hello mate,

Bare in mind the XYS unit is not programmable and does not have drag brake. I cannot comment on the HW unit.

On the expensive end I'd say go for a Sidewinder Micro 2 over a microX as you just won't need the features and the latter is slightly lighter and cheaper still...

robert@castle 10-28-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Dawg (Post 6049983)

In a 24th scale crawler, a Sidewinder Micro 2 might be a better fit unless he wants the AUX wire features.

But yes any of our brushless ESCs can be programmed to run any brushed motor.

GA Dawg 10-29-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert@castle (Post 6050580)
In a 24th scale crawler, a Sidewinder Micro 2 might be a better fit unless he wants the AUX wire features.

But yes any of our brushless ESCs can be programmed to run any brushed motor.

He said that it was 1:18 scale.

spoo76 10-29-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Dawg (Post 6050675)
He said that it was 1:18 scale.

The FTX mini 1/24 and 1/18 are relatively close in size and use quite a few of the same parts. In this case as far as the castle ESC is concerned there's not much difference.
Same center diff/axle housing, transmission, motor and suspension. It's just slightly wider and longer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk