Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing WP 1080 Discovery - 11 "Neutral Range'" Purpose!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hobbywing WP 1080 Discovery - 11 "Neutral Range'" Purpose!

Other people have probably figured this out, but I have not till tonight. In fact no matter how much searching, and all the threads I have read on this forum about the settings for this ESC, I have never found the answer to what the "Neutral Range" setting does. It seems that others, from the reading I have done, have not found what it does either. So here we go.

The Neutral Range is described as the following in the manual:

11. Neutral Range
As not all transmitters have the same stability at “neutral position”, please adjust this parameter as per your preference. You can adjust to a bigger value when this happens.

Say what??? From reading this it is very unclear what they are trying to tell us. However when playing with this setting I have discovered its purpose.

The default setting is option 4 or 0.05ms. At this setting with my Flysky FS-GT3C my truck has always driven forward if you turn off the transmitter while the ESC is on. I always figured this was a communication difference between where the transmitter thinks neutral was and where the ESC thought neutral was.

When I adjusted this up one value at a time the amount of forward movement decreased. For my transmitter, I needed to go to the highest setting, Level 9 or 0.12ms. Once this setting was input into the ESC the forward movement and rotation of the motor has stopped.

Now there is another thing this setting changes. If you leave it set at the default value, the trigger response to forward or reverse motion was instant with even the slightest trigger movement ,which made it hard to control at the lowest speed. Once you increase the "Neutral Range" setting you have more neutral range on the throttle trigger of the transmitter. This means that there is a little more distance before the truck moves when you pull the throttle trigger which really smooths out your initial starting movement thus making crawling more precise and easier to control.

For me this makes a huge difference in the way the truck drives and I am very excited that I have finally found out what it does. I hope this helps someone else out there.

Last edited by Stomp; 11-16-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2020, 04:09 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hobbywing WP 1080 Discovery - 11 "Neutral Range'" Purpose!

Think of this setting as neutral dead band, a larger number increases the amount of throttle needed before the esc believes you are doing it on purpose instead of electrical noise or a sticky trigger.
A low number would give you a hair trigger.
Personally I keep mine at 0.05

If your truck moves forward when you power off the transmitter (which is a bad habbit BTW) then probably either:
1) you set your transmitter throttle trim to not 0 (best practice is to set it to zero then calibrate the ESC) and when you turn the transmitter off the transmitter, the receiver then sends what it believes neutral is with out the trim offset.

or

2) I forgot what I was going to say...
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Think of this setting as neutral dead band, a larger number increases the amount of throttle needed before the esc believes you are doing it on purpose instead of electrical noise or a sticky trigger.
A low number would give you a hair trigger.
Personally I keep mine at 0.05

If your truck moves forward when you power off the transmitter (which is a bad habbit BTW) then probably either:
1) you set your transmitter throttle trim to not 0 (best practice is to set it to zero then calibrate the ESC) and when you turn the transmitter off the transmitter, the receiver then sends what it believes neutral is with out the trim offset.

or

Lol! I know how 2 goes!

I have always calibrated my WP 1080's with the transmitter throttle trim at 0. Maybe it is just something to do with the Flysky FS-GT3C radio? It has done this on three different trucks all with WP 1080 ESC's.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
or

Prolly, "Turn off your ESC first".
nathanotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanotis View Post
Prolly, "Turn off your ESC first".
Yes this is the norm, however the fact that a truck wants to run on its own when the transmitter is turned off first, indicates a mismatch between transmitter and ESC which is what this setting can help correct.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

But I thought calibrating the esc was supposed to fix that?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

it could be a flysky issue, one reason why I use spectrum is because as soon as the Rx gets power, is sends out a 1500ms signal.

Um ok so throttle range PWM signal varies from about 1000ms to 2000ms where generally 1000ms is reverse
1500ms is neutral
and 2000 ms is full forward

spektrum defaults are 1100ms full reverse, 1500ms neutral, and 1900ms full forward.

I noticed on the tactic 330 er whatever the scx10II came with that it dosent put out any signal until the TX and RX both are on and paired. also I believe the signal end points were way different. there was defiantly more range going forward then reverse, and neutral might even have been 1400ms (i will possible check it and report back, but its not really important)

where the spektrum one defaults to 1500mm instead of zero volts.

This is significant when using say, an Arduino because it doesn't know how to read zero signal, so it just waits.

But any ways I don't have flysky anything but you can probably buy something that reads the PWM signal on a display. I made one with an arduino but you can buy one too https://www.servocity.com/pwm-meter/, there are probably cheaper or better ones.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 11-17-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I personally prefer a "hair trigger" so I use this setting to tighten everything up. One of my radios is so sensitive that if I set it down and a breeze comes along, the car will receive throttle signal and start creeping. I'm used to it, but a lot of people seem to get whiskey throttle when they pick up my radio. It's kinda like shooting, do you like a trigger that breaks like glass, or one with a lot of creep?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I personally prefer a "hair trigger" so I use this setting to tighten everything up. One of my radios is so sensitive that if I set it down and a breeze comes along, the car will receive throttle signal and start creeping. I'm used to it, but a lot of people seem to get whiskey throttle when they pick up my radio. It's kinda like shooting, do you like a trigger that breaks like glass, or one with a lot of creep?
I agree a hair trigger can be nice, however living in Minnesota i will crawl in fall, spring, and winter when temps are well below freezing. As such I wear gloves which makes you loose some sensitivity. This is where a hair trigger makes things hard to crawl. With just a little extra room on neutral before engaging, it makes life easier when wearing gloves.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
I agree a hair trigger can be nice, however living in Minnesota i will crawl in fall, spring, and winter when temps are well below freezing. As such I wear gloves which makes you loose some sensitivity. This is where a hair trigger makes things hard to crawl. With just a little extra room on neutral before engaging, it makes life easier when wearing gloves.
Yeah this is how it is here, I like a more sensitive throttle during the summer when the weather is perfect but once the gloves are on it's a PITA.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote

Hobbywing WP 1080 Discovery - 11 "Neutral Range'" Purpose! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing 1080 problems LSO Electronics 9 06-07-2020 07:10 PM
Hobbywing 1080 mr_alister Electronics 3 05-23-2020 10:42 AM
Hobbywing 1080 settings Jboucher Electronics 80 04-25-2020 02:48 PM
Hobbywing 1080 ESC Supermotovinny Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 3 01-03-2020 02:22 PM
Hobbywing 1080 krazee Traxxas TRX-4 2 12-21-2017 09:03 PM