Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Silent outrunner and ESC for less then $60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2021, 07:04 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Silent outrunner and ESC for less then $60

The Holmes esc's may have better startup because of the MCU he is using.

@duke4you the firmware is not really specific to crawlers. The new ones I compile have adjusted settings that improve arming with surface radios. and sometimes the Dukes of Hazard sound.
Older ones had to be compiled specifically for crawlers, but since 1.64 or so it is not specific. There can be some tweaking if you are planning on putting the esc in a micro crawler in the compiling. It also depends on where you get your firmware files from too.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #82

Very interesting to see performance like that from Chinese component!
Does the ESC have a 5v out? planning on using a direct powered servo, but it would be great to power the receiver from the ESC, so I don't have to add a BEC
swerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #83
Rock Crawler

It is close ...and 4s ....yeay !!
https://www.facebook.com/HolmesHobbi...84031281629881
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:46 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerg View Post
Very interesting to see performance like that from Chinese component!
Does the ESC have a 5v out? planning on using a direct powered servo, but it would be great to power the receiver from the ESC, so I don't have to add a BEC
no, it has a 3.3v that works for spektrum, and I use little one amp Buck regulators from amazpon that are like $2
Old 05-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Price is king...
I got a couple more ST Links and I shall see if I can make this one work.

If not HH it shall be...
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:36 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
no, it has a 3.3v that works for spektrum, and I use little one amp Buck regulators from amazpon that are like $2
FS2A(my go to receiver for flysky GT5 radio) work from 3.3v to 10v, that is great news! time to order some electronic.
swerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

So what settings are you using with the blheli32 firmware? Anymore testing on this? I’m looking at using it with a Team Brood riot S 1850kv on 4s... maybe 6s if I can get the gearing right without buying a new motor...

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
So what settings are you using with the blheli32 firmware? Anymore testing on this? I’m looking at using it with a Team Brood riot S 1850kv on 4s... maybe 6s if I can get the gearing right without buying a new motor...

Lou
I am pretty sure this is how I set BLHeli. Low speed wasn't great, but acceptable in my scx24.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:19 AM   #89

Well, I have finally had to come ask for help!

I have flashed an Iflight 55A with the Iflight_crawler_1.64-1800kv_FULL.BIN.bin from Voodoobrew. There have been a few hurdles along the way, but nothing major, just inconvenient, but now I am almost stuck.

When powered up it plays the arming tone on repeat.

The ESC connects to the ESC_Config_tool_1_68 and I have matched the throttle calibration to the readings from a Castle X and played with the trim, powered on the esc before the radio etc.

Any suggestions to the simple thing that I am missing??
Runfrcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke4you View Post
Hi guys
this is my update.
the first ST-Link was broken . When you plug in USB there should be a blue LED.
the second one have this. I connect +3,3V and - from ST-Link to ESC + and - .
then connect swclk to clk on ESC,
then swdio to data on ESC.
Open CubeProg plug in USB and refresh ST-Link and voilà i can connect.
I did the optionbyte and a full chip erase, all seems good.
But i can not flash firmware i tried many things most i can flash 10-30% then the connection lost.
After few hours i tried with +5v i can not connect...
So i plugged the USB start CubeProg connect with +3,3V OK, disconnect and switch wire to +5v(with connected USB) voilà i can connect.
Try to flash bootloader PB4v8 - OK
Try to flash Iflight 1.65.bin - OK
Try to flash Eeprom v1_7c00.bin from AlkaMotor - OK
Connect ESC to HGLRC F4 flightcontroller Dshot300, open ConfigTool 1.67 change Parameter according to Voodoobrew Video, save, finish.
Today i got my new Motor and will try out if it is running.
cu

BTW:
Is firmware iflight 1.65 special for crawler? If not did anybody know if there comes a special firmware for crawler?
Looks like I had the same problem!
Order 2 new ST Links and managedto install the firmware (I hope).
I will try to test the ESC against the MicroX onceI change the chassis of my mini comp crawler.
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

The was an issue with some surface receivers (Spektrum are the ones that mainly have this issue) where they are not being recognized as being 1000us-2000us servo signal input during an automatic input calibration.
I had found a way to widen the sensitivity of the servo detection when compiling my own firmware but it probably never made it to my google drive files unfortunately.

The newer experimental 1.67 firmware seems to not have this issue if you can install that you should bee good. Here is a list of the experimental partial bins from Alka on GitHub https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...mental/Release These need to be flashed to 0x08001000

If you are also running Spektrum receivers I had better luck powering on the older firmware with the transmitter off as the default safety output of the Spektrum receiver is 1500us. Once it arms you can turn the transmitter on.

Also if you edited the eeprom using an Arduino or flight controller and the configuration tool then bidirectional and complementary need to be selected.

I will receive messages faster if you send them to Voodoobrew in the AM32 slack chat https://join.slack.com/t/am32/shared...6Ga0CG6jlfFknA or you can ask in the support channel where there are a few people willing to help. I am on there daily, where I might forget to check in here for weeks some times.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 05-26-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

I added instructions on how to adjust the settings yourself using an Arduino.
This also lets you update the firmware (not with installing the bootloader) using the receiver plug instead of having to use the ST-Link.

Quote:
Creating a PC Link to AM32 using an Arduino.

I use the cheapest Arduino Nano's that I can find. They use the a ATmega328P chip but other chips also may work with Method 1. For example these amazon recommended ones will work fine.. You can also find Nano's with different USB plug types that suit your preference, they all work the same.

You want to connect the Signal/PWM from the ESC the pin D3 on the Arduino Nano and Ground to Ground (I know they call it one wire but there are 2 ��

Note: Some of these cheap Arduino Nano's come with a different (Older) bootloader, but its no big deal, both of these methods will work with either bootloader.

Here are 2 ways to create an Arduino pc link.

Method 1 is probably the easiest way

Method 1 using BLHeli32 software

First go to https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dx6...4l/BLHeliSuite to download the BLHeliSuite software for your OS and then install it.

1) After installation is complete open the BLHeliSuite software and navigate to the Tab labeled "Make interfaces"

2) Plug in your Arduino, check to make sure that it shows up in your computer ports and select it.

3) Select your board from the dropdown list, The Arduino Nano may be "Nano w/ ATmega328 (new Bootloader)" or "Nano w/ ATmega328 (old Bootloader)"

4) Select Arduino BLHheli Bootloader to create a one wire interface.

5) Double check that your settings are all correct and click the button labeled "Arduino BLHeli Bootloader" and click confirm to program your Arduino.

Method 2 using Arduino IDE

Learning to use an Arduino is fun and challenging. I highly recommend using Arduino IDE to get your feet wet in the programming world.
Here is a link to the BLHheli 1wire code that you can upload to your Arduino AM32pin3Link.ino.

This is slightly more involved then I can thoroughly explain right now. Basically after installing the Arduino IDE you will probably need to go into tools>Boards manager and install the drivers for your Arduino board, then again in the tools menu select your board, bootloader and port. Double clicking on the .ino file should import it directly then you verify and upload it.

Using the Arduino PC Link with AM32 config Tool

You must use version 1.67 of The Multi ESC Config tool

Connect your programed Arduino PC Link to your PC's USB port.

Connect your ESC to your Arduino PC Link using PWM on the ESC to pin D3 on the Arduino and ground to ground.

Connect your battery or power supply to the main ESC power terminals.

Open the ESC Config Tool.

1) Check Direct Connect when using an Arduino PC Link (not when using a flight controller interface).

2) Select your Arduino Port.

3) Click the Connect Button.

4) Read the ESC settings using the M1 button.

Now you can adjust your settings, change tabs and upload new firmware, or load default eeprom settings.

5) When your done save your settings.

To double check that your settings were applied, close the connection then re-connect and hit M1 again.

This video shows the approximate performance of the setup, I will upload a video of this exact setup as soon as I can, but the firmware is the same, just slightly different hardware. Should be able to do it this week some time.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

What esc’s are compatible with the arduino method?

Lou
Old 05-27-2021, 04:39 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

All of em that can run am32 as far as I know.

https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...orted-Hardware
Old 05-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

You don’t “need” the breadboard using the Arduino, correct? With the two wire connection you describe, I can flash the firmware and adjust it?

Lou
Old 05-30-2021, 03:43 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
You don’t “need” the breadboard using the Arduino, correct? With the two wire connection you describe, I can flash the firmware and adjust it?

Lou
You dont need a breadboard at all.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:08 PM   #97

Thanks Mr Brew!
I will give that a go when they make it back onto the table.
Runfrcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #98

in Spain already crawling with Esc in silence 50A BEC integrated 20g of ESC
https://youtu.be/jHjvxbYNvcY

Combo LOW COST !!!
Óscar vh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:12 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Óscar vh View Post
in Spain already crawling with Esc in silence 50A BEC integrated 20g of ESC
https://youtu.be/jHjvxbYNvcY

Combo LOW COST !!!
That's awesome, I have been looking for one with a built in bec!

Here is what he got Flycolor Francy BLHeli_32 20A/30A/40A/50A 3-6S Dshot ESC w/ LED only 20A and 40A are in stock ATM

Óscar vh is not running the AM32 firmware in the video so his slow crawl is not as good. As you can see it is still pretty good and slow though.

Drag brake is not as good as a brushed motor IMO. To gain a powered drag bake that will hold better will cause the motor to buzz like a servo in the examples I have seen, and has not been implemented on these esc's that I have seen.

Pair this with a direct power Holmes Hobbies servo and you are good to go with out all the hassle of programming AM32.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:03 AM   #100

Quote:
That's awesome, I have been looking for one with a built in bec!

Here is what he got Flycolor Francy BLHeli_32 20A/30A/40A/50A 3-6S Dshot ESC w/ LED only 20A and 40A are in stock ATM

Óscar vh is not running the AM32 firmware in the video so his slow crawl is not as good. As you can see it is still pretty good and slow though.

Drag brake is not as good as a brushed motor IMO. To gain a powered drag bake that will hold better will cause the motor to buzz like a servo in the examples I have seen, and has not been implemented on these esc's that I have seen.

Pair this with a direct power Holmes Hobbies servo and you are good to go with out all the hassle of programming AM32.
I have been unable to get the am32 firmware, even so I think that the result is very very good. I am preparing the pro version, with an 80A Esc, and a 1800kv 875w motor. We are doing the whole process at injora RC Spain on telegram
Óscar vh is offline   Reply With Quote

Silent outrunner and ESC for less then $60 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get a Silent ESC for outrunner motors Voodoobrew Electronics 5 11-17-2020 01:25 PM
Waterproof Sensorless ESC able to handle 4S for Outrunner Stray Electronics 10 10-27-2018 04:51 PM
Brushed esc with silent mode? moondaddy Electronics 9 10-03-2016 06:10 PM