Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Flysky - Fail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2023, 09:46 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Flysky - Fail

I know there are a lot of people that like their Flysky radios, but I have purposefully stayed away from them. I have never likely the way the felt, it seemed if I squeezed to hard the radio casing would pop like a zit. Plus, I know a good number of people who swear by their FS's, but seem to be always cursing because their radio failed, again...

Getting more and more into 1/14 scale rigs, semi trucks and construction equipment, I have found myself needing a stick radio for various reason. Most of the stick radio options are meant for aircraft, and you have to detune the air functions out of it so that you can use it for a ground vehicle, which is a pain. I have seen a number of people in the semi/construction RC world use the FS-i6S radio. It has aircraft features, but it more or less works like one of our pistol radios. So, I bought one several months ago...

I have finally started using it, starting to program in some simpler rigs, and learn how to do some of the more advanced things, like mix channels for skid-steer vehicles, all is good. Until, I start fiddling with the two sliders it has, they act very weird, almost like 3-position switches with a tiny dead band. Of course I am thinking that I have a setting out of place, but there just are not that many to fiddle with, and nothing is obvious. The video below shows what is happening.

Part of performing radio troubleshooting is to reset the radio back to factory, and install the latest firmware, neither correct the problem. After a bit more digging I discover this issue is due to a bad board that the slider connect to; the radio is physically broken....

As stated, I bought this radio a while ago, so any warranty is long gone. I REALLY wanted to be proven wrong about Flysky quality with this radio, and admittedly this is one of the nicest looking and feeling stick radios I have had. But sadly, fluke or run of the mill, I received a bad radio.

What to do now? I have projects like my Tonka TRX4 that I want to retool, and get things working better, and this radio was at the heart of that. So, do I shell out another $75 and hope for better success, or just move on down the road...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mFvV_BF3X8
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2023, 03:38 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Flysky - Fail

FlySky radios have 1-warranty.
The first layer of support is the reseller.
If the reseller will not assist with support, you need to email FlySky.

I tried dealing with them once, tossed the radio in the trash and never looked back.

Keep your emails simple and straight to the point. Model #, serial #, date of purchase, place of purchase, and the problem.

If you make it through the email support, they will want you to send the radio back to China.

Wish you luck.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 06:17 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5059 View Post
If you make it through the email support, they will want you to send the radio back to China.
Really... Meaning where else would you send it for warranty work ?
Does Japan even build their own radio systems any longer ? (likely buy it from China too)
I'm a fan of Fly Sky... if it fails they are generally inexpensive enough to just simply purchase another.
But Fly Sky will answer your email inquiries if you make an honest attempt.
I once had to contact them regarding a faulty transmitter and they supplied me with credit towards a new purchase.
So they're not so bad. They never made me return it for warranty work. High dollar purchases may be somewhat different story.
But I was dealing with a radio(TX) that cost under $ 100.00
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 03:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have a GT5 and it is being working nicely... but as far as radio go, no one beat my old Futaba 2PL. Can't explain but it felt like a solid connection to the RC. I can't afford Futaba nowadays
cooper_xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Frustrating as it may be, I think this is a perfect example of "you get what you pay for". You can buy 4 equivalent Futaba radios for what I paid for my GT5, so if it fails, I"ll just buy another and still be WAY ahead of the game. I did just that, when my first GT5 got alzheimer's and lost all model and programming memory on 2 occasions. The 2nd GT5 has been working brilliantly for 3 years now...
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 04:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
You can buy 4 equivalent Futaba radios for what I paid for my GT5, so if it fails, I"ll just buy another and still be WAY ahead of the game.
Huh ? was that said backwards ?
Don't you mean you can buy 4 equivalent GT5 radios to one Futaba equivalent ?

Have you been diagnosed with dyslexia ?
Old 07-31-2023, 06:35 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
Of course, just seeing if anyone's paying attention
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:05 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
Of course, just seeing if anyone's paying attention
Would seem I am !
Old 08-01-2023, 03:23 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Really... Meaning where else would you send it for warranty work ?
Does Japan even build their own radio systems any longer ? (likely buy it from China too)
I'm a fan of Fly Sky... if it fails they are generally inexpensive enough to just simply purchase another.
But Fly Sky will answer your email inquiries if you make an honest attempt.
I once had to contact them regarding a faulty transmitter and they supplied me with credit towards a new purchase.
So they're not so bad. They never made me return it for warranty work. High dollar purchases may be somewhat different story.
But I was dealing with a radio(TX) that cost under $ 100.00
You need to relax. Not once in that thread did I say FlySky was garbage. He ask what the process was, and I told him.

Yes, shipping the radio back to China was an issue. I am not going to spend $25.00 in shipping for a $50.00 radio knowing they are not going to repair it and ship a new one. They did not offer a credit for a radio the failed in 3 weeks of purchase.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:38 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Have you been diagnosed with dyslexia ?
Backing talkwards
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 04:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

google it ! there's plenty of information regarding contact or getting assistance.

start by making contact (list detailed specifics/take pictures) - flyskyrc@flysky-cn.net

https://www.flysky-cn.com/supports

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 08-01-2023 at 04:55 PM.

Flysky - Fail - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set soze Electronics 221 01-16-2024 12:49 PM
Fail rmrc4x4 Redcat Crawlers 32 09-02-2016 06:29 PM
Fail Locked Up Chit Chat 9 07-22-2016 07:51 PM
Fail Mayhem Eng. Chit Chat 14 12-22-2009 01:12 AM