Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How to set up electronics in a kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #1

Default How to set up electronics in a kit

I have been researching for å long time and i can't seem to find anything that easely explans how to put all of the electronics together in a kit.

I have bin looking at getting the axial unimog but i am scared about figuring out what electronics to go for and how to make it all work together.

I live in a small town in Norway and the is not a single hobby store anywhere even remotly close to me.

Sent fra min SM-G965F via Tapatalk
sindretorstenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: How to set up electronics in a kit

Start simple with the basic parts, and work your way from there.

For the truck to move, you need the following items:
Electronics Speed Control (ESC)
Battery
Motor
Servo
Transmitter and receiver (TX/RX)

ESC...
Recommend starting out with a Hobby Wing 1080 ESC. It is easy to set up and reliable

Motor...
Lots of options, but I would recommend going with a 35 turn brushed motor. It will not be a speed demon, but it will get you moving down the trail in style. Integy sells a pretty good 35T for not much money.
You'll also need a pinion to go on it. Look in the instructions for what the manufacture recommends and get that.

Battery...
2S or 3S lipo will get you moving in style. You'll also need a charger.

Servo...
You'll want something with a good amount of torque and waterproof. For trailing, recommend nothing less than 200oz, for crawling go 300oz or better. The Savox SW-1210SG will get you where you want to be, but it is a bit spendy.

TX/RX...
Lots of choices here. You can go simple to REALLY complicated. I personally like Spektrum radios, and the DX5C for $150 with RX is not a bad deal. A lot of guys like the FlySky radios, they are a lot less expensive, but sometimes quality is questionable. Which ever you get, they wire up the same, read the manual, and follow the directions.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Start simple with the basic parts, and work your way from there.

For the truck to move, you need the following items:
Electronics Speed Control (ESC)
Battery
Motor
Servo
Transmitter and receiver (TX/RX)

ESC...
Recommend starting out with a Hobby Wing 1080 ESC. It is easy to set up and reliable

Motor...
Lots of options, but I would recommend going with a 35 turn brushed motor. It will not be a speed demon, but it will get you moving down the trail in style. Integy sells a pretty good 35T for not much money.
You'll also need a pinion to go on it. Look in the instructions for what the manufacture recommends and get that.

Battery...
2S or 3S lipo will get you moving in style. You'll also need a charger.

Servo...
You'll want something with a good amount of torque and waterproof. For trailing, recommend nothing less than 200oz, for crawling go 300oz or better. The Savox SW-1210SG will get you where you want to be, but it is a bit spendy.

TX/RX...
Lots of choices here. You can go simple to REALLY complicated. I personally like Spektrum radios, and the DX5C for $150 with RX is not a bad deal. A lot of guys like the FlySky radios, they are a lot less expensive, but sometimes quality is questionable. Which ever you get, they wire up the same, read the manual, and follow the directions.
Thank you, i will start looking in to it right away

Sent fra min SM-G965F via Tapatalk
sindretorstenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:27 AM   #4

I think you need Electronic Soldering Kits for Adults like https://diystadium.com/electronic-so...adults-review/ . Such projects require lots of patience and time. But when you monitor the result, feelings are worth your time and effort

Last edited by Aleksks; 08-10-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Aleksks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 03:35 AM   #5
I joined the Band!

Did you find a solution actually?
Thanks
neronero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 09:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The og scx10 came with a 27 turn motor it's a good middle of the road motor brand doesn't really matter although holms hobbies is a regular on here and we like to support them there motors are only a dollar or 2 more than other brands but the quality control is better and you get product support

The only down side to the savix servos is the chatter it just kinda anoying there are a lot of good servos out here that don't cost alot

Radio I personally won't touch spectrum stuff what I do have I won't use I don't know why I haven't tossed them yet but maybe someday I'll do something with them

The flisky radios have been my go to brand for about 10 years mostly cause they came stock on axial rigs and the receivers were comparable with the gt3c so it made sense to run flysky
Today I still use my hacked flysky gt3c radio
I also use a dumborc brand radio the cheapest of the bunch and it feels like it's cheap compared to the others but still not a bad radio compared to rtr radios
Also a radio link gs4 probably the bast quality radio but the form leaves alot to be desired its just not as comfortable in the hand as the others
My favorite out of the bunch and most expensive at $60 is the flysky gt5
It doesn't use the same receivers as the old flysky radios but the features and ease of use and the over all feel of the radio is just top notch
My friend just swaped his futaba radio for a gt5 sead it's easyer to use and feels better

Last edited by ferp420; 07-28-2023 at 06:51 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:18 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post

Radio - I personally won't touch spectrum stuff what I do have I won't use I don't know why I haven't tossed them yet but maybe someday I'll do something with them

The flisky radios have been my go to brand for about 10 years mostly cause they came stock on axial rigs and the receivers were comparable with the gt3c so it made sense to run flysky
Today I still use my hacked flysky gt3c radio
r
Same deal with me ! I'm about to dump the Spectrum TX/RX that came with my SCX6 RTR for my 4th Fly SKY GT3C.
Makes sense to me. That way all the TX's/RX's I have I can power up to 9 RC's with saved model memory, with each TX/RX I have and they're dirt cheap to boot.
Plus I'm a big fan of anything Castle Mfgr'd / Distributed - ESC's, Motor's, BEC's (10 and 20 amp), Castle Link & misc. <-- all compatible with my FLY Sky TX/RX
Holmes Hobbies is a close 2nd purchase wise for me. ie: - ESC's, Motor's, Servo's, Holmes Hobbies MFG'RD & Castle products too, etc.

Look --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/275792540526 & https://www.ebay.com/itm/275934713848
^ comes in silver/black if you don't like orange. --------- ^ additional RX's are cheap to purchase !

And this might be my next FS TX/RX --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/275907818480

and yes they have even better ^ for a few more dollars, --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/28537378220...Cclp%3A2047675

No I don't work for Fly Sky. I just like their TX/RX systems. Not to mention their lower pricing then their competitors

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 07-28-2023 at 06:34 AM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:33 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Good topic. Thanks for sharing this info and your experiences!

I wish I found it when I was setting up my electronics kit. So, I'd like to add my two cents here.
When setting up an electronics kit, it's important to start with a clear plan and gather all the necessary components. If you're using a heavy copper PCB (I personally use such PCBs, usually get them here https://www.andwinpcb.com/heavy-copper-pcb/), ensure you have the appropriate tools and equipment, such as a soldering iron and solder wire. Carefully follow the instructions provided with the kit, paying close attention to the connections and soldering points on the PCB. Take your time, double-check your work, and test the functionality before proceeding. Don't hesitate to seek guidance from online tutorials or forums if needed.

But the most important is to enjoy the process

Last edited by AlNor; 08-02-2023 at 11:22 AM.
AlNor is offline   Reply With Quote

How to set up electronics in a kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RTR or Kit? Which electronics for kit? novarider Axial SCX-10 3 08-23-2014 01:14 PM
Help with electronics set-up Jim1019 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 11-17-2008 05:21 PM
electronics set up Warn Off Road Electronics 7 12-09-2007 07:32 PM
electronics set up ExtremeOffRoad Tamiya Clod Buster 3 06-02-2004 12:17 PM