Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Team Brood Racing 5-Slot and 3-Slot Sealed Can Motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #1

Default Team Brood Racing 5-Slot and 3-Slot Sealed Can Motors

Team Brood has released some inexpensive 5-slot and 3-slot, sealed can motors that should be great for scaler guys. More options are always a good thing.

Copied from the Team Brood Racing Facebook page:

Quote:
Our long awaited sealed cans are here. We used to sell sealed cans back in the racing days for the TCS racing series, so nothing new about us selling this type of motor. Since were not under any form of rules like the racing days, we were able to get some changes in to improve performance and offer more options to fit more of the trucks out there.
First we had them install the highest grade chinese magnet, the YG45 in them instead of the low grade magnets they normally come with. Next up, we had them wind the arms with high quality copper wire in optimal sizes. Then to make a smoother and more efficient motor, we had them install bearings on BOTH sides of the motor. We had them add torque ring as well to increase torque, brake and efficiency. Lastly, we had them use a black finish so they blend easier into builds without being too flashy. All this cost a little more, but we were still able to keep these at the same price as other companies sell them for.
Motors are engraved with the main model info, which provides a durable marking system while not putting a sticker on to act as a thermal blanket. Each and every motor is broken in and tested prior to shipping. Your motor is ready to rock once you install it, no need to baby it for the first few packs. We simply can't send stuff out not broken in or tested, it kinda just goes against everything we are about.
We have 4 versions in this first batch, with 6 winds available.. In our next batch we will have additional winds available in all 4 versions to fit more applications.
All the motors are on the website and ready to ship!

Pathfinder is our 5-Slot Sealed Can Motor - Available in both 540 and 550 Sizes

Pathfinder 540 13 Turn $14.99
https://www.teambrood.com/scaler-mot...hfinder-540-13

Pathfinder 540 16 Turn $14.99
https://www.teambrood.com/scaler-mot...hfinder-540-16

Pathfinder 550 15 Turn $19.99
https://www.teambrood.com/scaler-mot...hfinder-550-15

Trailbreaker is our 3-Slot Sealed Can Motor - Available in both 540 and 550 Sizes

Trailbreaker 540 27 Turn $14.99
https://www.teambrood.com/scaler-mot...breaker-540-27

Trailbreaker 540 35 Turn $14.99
https://www.teambrood.com/scaler-mot...breaker-540-35

Trailbreaker 550 21 Turn $19.99
https://www.teambrood.com/scaler-mot...breaker-550-21
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: Team Brood Racing 5-Slot and 3-Slot Sealed Can Motors

Nice! Great prices too!

I have yet to try out a Team Brood motor so I may have to give one of the 5-slots a try.

Thanks for sharing!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

Competition for HH Sport motors?

Might have to give the Pathfinder 550 a whirl one day.

Thanks for sharing this Jato. I have also never run anything from Brood.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #4

You’re welcome guys.

I have one Brood motor. It’s the hand-wound, brushed motor called the Specter. I like it. I also recommended a friend try Team Brood when he couldn’t find a brushless motor in his desired kv and he really likes it.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

NIce on the options of the winds, might give them a shot for the super clods i am rebuilding
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

One thing that always stuck with me after seeing an interview with the guy behind Team Brood was that they aren't crawler guys they're racers. I was a bit surprised to hear that because they offer a wack ton of different crawler motors and I interpret that as "lets just throw a bunch of shit at the wall and see what sticks". I would assume thats what happens when they dont know whats good or appropriate for crawling.

Not trying to say anything about them and their quality just that they aren't "one of us"
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:59 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The prices are good and more options are as well.

But for less than $20.00, I’ll continue to support Holmes Hobbies. 👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
One thing that always stuck with me after seeing an interview with the guy behind Team Brood was that they aren't crawler guys they're racers. I was a bit surprised to hear that because they offer a wack ton of different crawler motors and I interpret that as "lets just throw a bunch of shit at the wall and see what sticks". I would assume thats what happens when they dont know whats good or appropriate for crawling.

Not trying to say anything about them and their quality just that they aren't "one of us"

Brood started in 2003 so they have been making motors a long time. The owner, EddieO, has been a member on here since 2007 and for a bunch of those years he was a vendor. So it’s not like he wasn’t targeting this market. And just because he started out in racing doesn’t mean he isn’t putting R&D into his motors. It’s a $20 gamble. Try one for yourself sometime.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 01-04-2021 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:06 PM   #9
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
The prices are good and more options are as well.

But for less than $20.00, I’ll continue to support Holmes Hobbies. 👍🏼
I can appreciate this sentiment. I find it difficult not supporting John considering how much he puts into his product. His passion for powerful crawler motors is enough to make a grown man giddy. I have a handful of new sport models kicking around just in case. Hell, I even ordered a stubby Puller Pro the other day just because I want to try it out. On that level I don't feel too bad about tossing 20 bucks at a Brood to see what its about. But yeah, in the long run its always best to support those who have your own best interest in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Brood started in 2003 so they have been making motors a long time. The owner, EddieO, has been a member on here since 2007 and for a bunch of those years he was a vendor. So it’s not like he wasn’t targeting this market. And just because he started out in racing doesn’t mean he isn’t putting R&D into his motors. It’s a $20 gamble. Try one for yourself sometime.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I know EddieO is a member here thats why I was a bit shocked, anyway thats definitely an ignorant statement I made there. I almost picked up a Brood motor when stocks were limited last year but I'll be honest the sheer variety made it difficult to decide on what to go with.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:36 PM   #11

I'm quite excited by these new sealed can motors. By the looks of it, they're on par with the Sport motors Holmes sells. More is always better, right?

I don't exactly get the sentiment that's thrown around in this thread.. I'm a HUGE fan of Holmes Hobbies motors and have been running them for over a decade, but when I needed something very specific and special to fit a niche of driving styles I prefer I contacted Team Brood to see what they could recommend me.
Lo and behold, a few e-mails were exchanged and I ended up with a few motor picks tailored to the vehicles, speeds and driving styles I wanted for the applications I was putting them in.
There's a whole whack-ton of choice on the site, which makes it confusing as the motors don't seem to be all that different from each other at first glance, but that slight difference and the sheer amount of choice really lets you pick exactly what's right. Just send them an e-mail and they'll recommend you what you need or even build you a custom motor.
The customer service is top notch too, and despite apparently not being crawler guys they recommended me some choice motors!
Holmes Hobbies is great, don't get me wrong. I still think their motors are the highest quality ones you can get, but if you need something specific or want more choice, Team Brood is where you'll be looking.
strawbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:54 PM   #12

Quote:
I know EddieO is a member here thats why I was a bit shocked, anyway thats definitely an ignorant statement I made there. I almost picked up a Brood motor when stocks were limited last year but I'll be honest the sheer variety made it difficult to decide on what to go with.
No worries. I wasn’t looking for an apology and I didn’t take anything personally. Just sharing my limited experience with Team Brood and my point of view. It takes a big person to say what you did though so kudos to you!

Yes, the options on the Team Brood website used to be absolutely overwhelming. I personally think it was nearly impossible to order a motor, without contacting Eddie first, when he had all of those options listed. But he was quick to respond and help you choose a motor and the appropriate options. Thankfully that has changed so take another look at the website. Eddie must have gotten similar feedback about having too many options because he really trimmed back the available options on the website. And with these sealed can motors there are no options to screw up. You just order them as-is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbs View Post
I'm quite excited by these new sealed can motors. By the looks of it, they're on par with the Sport motors Holmes sells. More is always better, right?

I don't exactly get the sentiment that's thrown around in this thread.. I'm a HUGE fan of Holmes Hobbies motors and have been running them for over a decade, but when I needed something very specific and special to fit a niche of driving styles I prefer I contacted Team Brood to see what they could recommend me.
Lo and behold, a few e-mails were exchanged and I ended up with a few motor picks tailored to the vehicles, speeds and driving styles I wanted for the applications I was putting them in.
There's a whole whack-ton of choice on the site, which makes it confusing as the motors don't seem to be all that different from each other at first glance, but that slight difference and the sheer amount of choice really lets you pick exactly what's right. Just send them an e-mail and they'll recommend you what you need or even build you a custom motor.
The customer service is top notch too, and despite apparently not being crawler guys they recommended me some choice motors!
Holmes Hobbies is great, don't get me wrong. I still think their motors are the highest quality ones you can get, but if you need something specific or want more choice, Team Brood is where you'll be looking.

I also get that impression from some people on this thread. Fanboys will always exist. I don’t really understand that way of thinking. You can’t really know what you like without trying different brands. And competition between companies is awesome for we the consumers. Products are continuously improved to one up the competition while prices are controlled if not reduced.

Heck, I bet guys like Eddie and John Holmes would invite you to try the other’s products because they are confident enough in the performance and value of their own.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:51 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Heck, I bet guys like Eddie and John Holmes would invite you to try the other’s products because they are confident enough in the performance and value of their own.
Well said !!...we had a similar discussion on another board and, lets say at least, its hard to "discuss" with fanbois not the makers of a product
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:03 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Which interview was this?

My company started out in racing, before crawling was even a thing. So yes, we are racers from the start. However, we have been making crawler motors nearly as long, including for some companies who rebadged them with their brand name. We also own plenty of crawlers still and numerous over the years as well. I myself have actually competed at Nationals/Worlds a couple of times. I will admit I am not elite, but I can hold my own on the rocks.

In the end, motors are motors.......tech learned in either part of the hobby can be applied to the other sometimes.

When we got into the crawling game full force, racing was converting to brushless, which had an unclear ruleset that was constantly being changed. Crawlers used brushed, which we had a ton of knowledge in. We started to bring numerous ideas to the crawler market with motors to achieve better motors, many of which were done by other companies as well after us.

We hardly have just thrown stuff and seen what's stuck......I don't release stuff without testing it. If stuff works, I offer it. We had a ton of cool parts left over from the racing days, so we could offer them to customer to tailor builds for each customer. As time went on, we have developed new parts and motors that we introduced to the crawler market.

If we were really just flinging stuff until it sticks, well we sure get lucky a lot.......we've won worlds/nats (whatever ya want to call it) multiple times and just about every major crawler event at some point multiple times as well.

On top of that, we actually make parts for crawlers besides just motors.......

That being said, we are diving back into racing. I love going fast....I like crawling, but the need for speed will still always be my first love. However, our crawler line of products will continue to evolve.

Later EddieO

Quote:

Last edited by EddieO; 01-10-2021 at 01:39 AM.
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:35 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I've been running Brood motors for years, they've been excellent, super quality and never had a problem.
Even bought a matched pair years back for my MOA. That being said I use Holmes as well and they are
excellent. Just depends on what I need at the time
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:48 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Which interview was this?

snip

This was on Velocity (VRCmag) on their RC Babble show.
I understand they're core is racing so thats what they went with for the interview. I threw up a few questions to try to get you guys talking about crawlers which was short lived, I guess in my mind I was a bit disappointed by that.

Anyway I realize what I said was pretty stupid and baseless, I apologize and as I said afterwards
Quote:

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-10-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Maybe this interview https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...043&ref=search I thought it was interesting how Eddie said he ended up using a bunch of crap in our motors that were failures for racing motors. Some times getting a good motor is just throwing a bunch of crap at the wall though, even Holmes has said these motors seem to disregard the laws of physics, probably meaning you can't completely predict the outcome of a new design. You just have to throw a bunch of crap at the wall to see what sticks. Eddies walls are probably covered in it by now...

Eddie...
Did you ever make a chart so that we can figure out which of your motors we want to buy with out calling you?
https://www.teambrood.com/buyers-guide this page has been dead for years...
You have so many more options then Holmes but I have no idea what one motor does differently then another.
and regardless of what magnet you list it says - Maximizes torque and braking - I mean you know its not that simple.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I'm way more interested in the new Brood Riot motors though.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:56 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This was on Velocity (VRCmag) on their RC Babble show.
I understand they're core is racing so thats what they went with for the interview. I threw up a few questions to try to get you guys talking about crawlers which was short lived, I guess in my mind I was a bit disappointed by that.

Anyway I realize what I said was pretty stupid and baseless, I apologize and as I said afterwards
Hmm, I could not see the questions in the software they were using.....so I had to go off what they asked. I felt I talked a decent about crawler stuff. We had sent them some crawler motors to mess with before hand. In the end, if you have a question, lmk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Maybe this interview https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...043&ref=search I thought it was interesting how Eddie said he ended up using a bunch of crap in our motors that were failures for racing motors. Some times getting a good motor is just throwing a bunch of crap at the wall though, even Holmes has said these motors seem to disregard the laws of physics, probably meaning you can't completely predict the outcome of a new design. You just have to throw a bunch of crap at the wall to see what sticks. Eddies walls are probably covered in it by now...

Eddie...
Did you ever make a chart so that we can figure out which of your motors we want to buy with out calling you?
https://www.teambrood.com/buyers-guide this page has been dead for years...
You have so many more options then Holmes but I have no idea what one motor does differently then another.
and regardless of what magnet you list it says - Maximizes torque and braking - I mean you know its not that simple.
For the most part, our motors do stuff an electrical engineer would tell you they should not. It's kinda common for stuff that should not work well, does work well. The racing example of stuff that not working or not working very well is pretty accurate.......5 slots were not allowed under the rules, though we did test them......and they were horrid no matter how we wound them. Skews are another example of something that did not work well, but has in crawling. I happened to have some left from the racing days (less than 100 arms) and once we tested, we found they worked very well in a crawler motor. Same deal with the 4 magnet motors.........worked pretty horrid in racing, but work very well in a crawler motor. And yes, we have tried tons of stuff.......with lots and lots of failure, but I don't release that stuff.....but its a long list of failed ideas that never saw a day on the website or a customers hands. Our last two big releases of the sealed cans and the Riot Outrunners was literally over 6 months + of designs, samples, testing, etc......was actually nearly a year with the Outrunners.....

I have been working on those guides as time permits. I know we have a ton of offerings that can be confusing. Besides time, the constant introduction of new trucks has made it kinda tricky to get done......I suck, I know :P I have updated some of the descriptions on many of the motors to give an idea on the construction stuff that separates the differences. On any motor, the options are buttons with popups that explains those as well. We use some similar wording because of SEO stuff with google.....it grabs certain words to use in search stuff, super confusing crap the web nerds tell me to do.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:02 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
We use some similar wording because of SEO stuff with google.....it grabs certain words to use in search stuff, super confusing crap the web nerds tell me to do.

Later EddieO
What the web nerds don't understand is most of your sales are probably from people who search for "brood rc motors" or "team brood..." IMO Your sales world probably be better served with better descriptions then SEO optimized bull.

If people search for best crawler motor, or most anything else not directly looking for you, you probably wont be making a sale from them, because all those searches go to ...

Holy shit I just googled "best crawler motor" and it went to HH, I completely expected it to go to one of those bullshit top 10 websites that never have good intent or information and calls them "Climbing car" with some kid pretending to stand on it. ( that wasn't meant to be a cheap shot I was really sincerely surprised)
what do I know..

I did a lot of research about brushed motors for crawlers, for a consumer. pro's and cons of high and low turn motors, what it takes to get more torque, lower initial startup speed, armature sizes, beveled magnets...but each one of those has pro's and con's some complement each other better then others. Admitidly I don't know why I would want 4vs2 magnets or a diffrent can thickness other then weight. but I I still feel lost and cant make a decision when I look at your page.

You know what I think ( add that to try and not sound demanding) would help, and yes it's time consuming, You remember buying transformers when you were a kid. They came with that clear red plastic. and on the package was a chart that when you put on the red glasses you could see the stats of the transformer you purchased. I mean you don't need to require us to wear red glasses but I'm totally down if you do.

Just change the stats to power, punch, smoothness, battery life, torque, speed, etc...
I can imagine anyone who wouldn't love to have it simplified so much. And the numbers just need to be suggestive, compared to your other motors, on a scale of 1 to 10, maybe 11 for a team motor...
I feel there are a lot of people willing to pay big money for a good brushed motor, but they really dont know that they are looking at, or why one motor is better then another. Make it easy for us dumb dumbs.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 01-12-2021 at 12:05 AM.

Tags
3-slot, 5-slot, brood, electronics, motor, team brood

Team Brood Racing 5-Slot and 3-Slot Sealed Can Motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 Slot vs 5 Slot Garden Testing. Hardcoretam Videos! 0 04-08-2020 11:46 AM
Yeah Racing "just climb" 5 slot brushed motors TheLetterJ Electronics 7 02-19-2020 03:22 PM
3 Slot & 5 Slot Honchos Take On Mud, Water & Rocks Hardcoretam Videos! 2 08-20-2019 03:34 AM