Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: FlySky BS6 Receiver voltage on TRX-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2021, 08:20 PM   #1

Default FlySky BS6 Receiver voltage on TRX-4

Hey everyone, I recently decided to put an old hobbywing ezrun brushless system in my TRX-4, out of an older car from back before everyone used 2.4Ghz and instead had crystals in their transmitter and receiver. What I didn't realize when I did this is that those old esc's put more than the standard 6v into the receiver, and using my stock traxxas receiver it worked for about half an hour. Then it didn't. So I did the research and asked around and found out about the voltage thing and figured I'd fried my receiver. Not great considering I'm a 17 year old without a job, who can't really afford a 5ch transmitter and receiver. Luckily I've got a good family who got me a FlySky GT5 and BS6 6ch combo for christmas, which I'm really grateful for. Anyway, I've got it running at the moment back on the stock traxxas xl-5 esc and titan motor, but I kinda still want to try the brushless swap again.

My question is: Will the FS-BS6 receiver take more than 6v? Or will it just be fried like the TQi receiver?

This is the old Hobbywing system I used:
Mundy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2021, 11:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: FlySky BS6 Receiver voltage on TRX-4

According to Flysky, the FS-BS6 will take 4.0V - 8.4V input. Any more than 8.4V output from the ESC will be a problem for the BS6. I don't own any Traxxas but I'm pretty sure the Traxxas ESC had a BEC output voltage of 6V. Can't find any information on the voltage range for the receiver but I'm guessing by default the receiver is rated max. 6V.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If it has any of the micro servos do not run at 7.4v they will not survive for long.The micro servos are pretty sensitive
The safer way would be to disconnect the red+(generally the center wire)
On the esc and use a bec set to 6v and power the system that way.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Last edited by jaymann; 01-20-2021 at 11:28 PM.
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
According to Flysky, the FS-BS6 will take 4.0V - 8.4V input. Any more than 8.4V output from the ESC will be a problem for the BS6. I don't own any Traxxas but I'm pretty sure the Traxxas ESC had a BEC output voltage of 6V. Can't find any information on the voltage range for the receiver but I'm guessing by default the receiver is rated max. 6V.
I'm only running it on a 2s lipo, so it'll never get more than 8.4v because that's the maximum charge voltage. Thanks for the info mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymann View Post
If it has any of the micro servos do not run at 7.4v they will not survive for long.The micro servos are pretty sensitive
The safer way would be to disconnect the red+(generally the center wire)
On the esc and use a bec set to 6v and power the system that way.
Sounds right, where could I get a bec that i could set to 6v? Also, I have some other micro servos that are out of an old rc plane which also used the old system with crystals, so I wonder if they can handle the 8.4v that the battery would produce at max charge?
Old 01-21-2021, 03:14 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Castle has a great bec, u can program the voltage on it. There are some other that can be changed between 5-6v as well
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:47 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

That EzRun ESC should have a 6V/1.5A BEC, not "more than the standard", whatever that means...
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
That EzRun ESC should have a 6V/1.5A BEC, not "more than the standard", whatever that means...
I thought so too, but apparently the old AM receivers ran off more than 6v, so old esc's outputs were more than 6v into the receiver. This is one of those old esc's, if Hobbywing still makes it, I'm sure the newer ones do have a 6v BEC, but old ones like this don't apparently.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #8

Ok everyone, I'm sorry about this, but apparently the information I shared about the old esc producing more than 6v from the bec is false. I took a multimeter to the esc-receiver cable on the hobbywing brushless and got back a reading of 6v. It's confusing though 'cause I thought that the esc was why the receiver died, but apparently not, so my traxxas receiver died for seemingly no reason? Does anyone know why it might have died? Is it common for the standard receiver to die after a couple of years?
Thanks everyone.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:21 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post

Bringing this one back from the dead because I don’t think the above information is correct. Check the link below directly to flysky and see that the BS six receiver will only take 6.5v

https://www.flysky-cn.com/bs6-canshu
greedyg76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:04 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Don't share this info with any of my FS receivers, because I'm running at least half of mine at 7.4v. I also run almost all of my JX 4409 shorties (rated for 6v) at 7.4v.

If it's not a steering servo, which will be getting big voltage all the time, most intermittent-use servos (shift, dig, etc) can deal with moderately higher input voltage-- if endpoints are correctly set, of course.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:12 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Don't share this info with any of my FS receivers, because I'm running at least half of mine at 7.4v.

Same here. All but one of mine are at 7.4v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:27 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I just picked up three BS6s from AsiaTees. The label on the actual receiver says 4-8.4v. Not sure why the website says differently.
Mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
esc, receiver, trx 4, trx4, voltage

FlySky BS6 Receiver voltage on TRX-4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas TRX-4 FlySky GT5 settup All_Round_RC Traxxas TRX-4 2 03-02-2024 05:31 PM
New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set soze Electronics 221 01-16-2024 12:49 PM
Flysky GT5 low voltage alarm vinceherman Electronics 5 08-16-2020 08:51 PM
Flysky FS-BS6 rx ?’s TK421 Electronics 6 04-19-2020 06:22 AM
Flysky GT3B reveiver voltage? hlb3 Electronics 22 10-21-2012 01:02 PM