Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: LiPo Battery Care Tutorial?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
smp

Default LiPo Battery Care Tutorial?

Where I live, we are getting into the heart of winter, with daytime high temperatures in the teens (of degrees F) and wind chills down to single numbers, and, of course, snow on the ground.

Given this, I just gave my Traxxas batteries a storage charge, as I am unlikely to take the X-Maxx out for a few weeks.

30-ish years ago, I used NiCad batteries with the Tamiya kits I built up with my kids. Prior to now, that was my RC experience. I do not have a good understanding of the LiPo battery chemistry or handling, really. Is there any good tutorial information about the care and feeding of these new-fangled LiPo batteries, that explains balance charging, fast charging, "max" charging, and storage charging, and when each type of charging is useful, and what all goes on with these batteries?

Thanks, in advance, for all your tips and advice!

smp
smp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: LiPo Battery Care Tutorial?

Storage charge to store.

Fully charge to use.

Make sure your LiPo cut off is set right so as not to deplete the cells to far.

Done.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

There's a million different things out there on the internet... luckily I think most people actually agree on battery care.

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/ I've seen this one linked a few times, and it seems to be correct to my understanding.

There's also a few videos on Amain's YouTube channel that might be worth a watch. Actually pretty much all of the bigger RC channels have made videos on LiPo charging, discharging and general care.
OutLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

^^^^^ The website OutLore has indicated. I have posted that up on a number of threads over the years. Looks like it has finally been up-dated from when I first found it. Probably way more information than you want but a good read all the same.
nightcrawler48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutLore View Post
There's a million different things out there on the internet... luckily I think most people actually agree on battery care.

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/ I've seen this one linked a few times, and it seems to be correct to my understanding.

There's also a few videos on Amain's YouTube channel that might be worth a watch. Actually pretty much all of the bigger RC channels have made videos on LiPo charging, discharging and general care.

Thank you for the link!

That was a great read!!!!
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #6
smp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutLore View Post

Thanks *very* much! Great info - just what I was looking for.

smp
Old 01-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
RCC Addict

One point that I want to add is that newer information than what's in that article has indicated the salt water soak is a really bad idea and should never be used to try and drain a pack.

The danger is that because the tabs inside the pack are so small and made of fine guage metal the salt can corrode the tabs off which may produce a false reading of 0V.

If you can get it to 0V using a lightbulb or similar discharger then it can be thrown away in household waste but the lithium has reasonable value and the pack should actually be recycled. Any battery recycler can accept them (and they'll accept them with voltage still in them), I've found they generally want all connectors clipped off with the wires all taped and cut at different lengths so there's no chance of a short.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Home Depot (and probably Lowe's too) will take batteries for recycling and they are everywhere (convenience).
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #9
smp

Thanks very much, again, folks! Excellent advice and tips!

smp

LiPo Battery Care Tutorial? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber battery tray wont fit new Lipo battery rock1997 Axial RR10 Bomber 10 08-20-2016 10:36 AM
Proper Lipo care tips wicked4x4 Electronics 3 05-13-2010 10:22 AM
What Zippy Lipo battery fits a Crawler King? Or whats your favorite 2c lipo battery? phunkodelic HPI Wheely King 20 08-31-2009 01:35 PM
Best Charger for Lipo batteries, and best lipo battery phunkodelic Electronics 12 06-14-2009 10:58 AM