Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Best motor to my trx4 for comp crawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Default Best motor to my trx4 for comp crawling?

Hey guys!

So this year im planning to join a hobby crawling competion.

I wonder what can i do to make the best of my trx4 with not spending to much money?

I was thinking since i never use the 2 speed to convert it to single speed would that be better?

Right now i have the orginal 550 titan, 21 t motor.
Cant find any info how much kv it has but i feel with the 2 speed that i want more torque.
So if i change to single speed and this motor that i found cheap : Reedy Radon 2 Crawler 20T 5-Slot 1500kV Brushed Motor

Would that be better then i currently have for slow rock crawling?

Last edited by Malawi; 01-25-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Malawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Best motor to my trx4 for comp crawling?

Your 1st gear is lower than the Sport first gear so buy going to a single speed trans you aren't doing anything to help you.

I run an SW4 and Revolver 1400 in mine and I do comp it. You are not beating a Revolver (or other outrunner) for crawling unless you by a high end brushed motor.

There has been a couple times I used the second gear. I do use the selectable lockers often. Unlock you diffs so you can use them. Take the time to learn when and where to unlock the diffs you will GREATLY improve the maneuverability of your TRX. The TRX is a can crawler but it weakness is it maneuverability.

Change to a heavy oil in the shocks and get light springs. I use 2k weight oil and either yellow or white dot springs.

I weight just over 7.5lbs. Lots of brass weight is over rated. I run about 4 oz of weight (stick on wheel weights) in my tires, weighted hubs (front and rear, bigger in front) and a brass diff cover up front. Less than a lb of added weigh up front. If you are comping you will want overdrive in front and Underdrive in back for a a total of 24% OD.

Last edited by MOguy; 01-25-2021 at 02:25 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Your 1st gear is lower than the Sport first gear so buy going to a single speed trans you aren't doing anything to help you.

I run an SW4 and Revolver 1400 in mine and I do comp it. You are not beating a Revolver (or other outrunner) for crawling unless you by a high end brushed motor.

There has been a couple times I used the second gear. I do use the selectable lockers often. Unlock you diffs so you can use them. Take the time to learn when and where to unlock the diffs you will GREATLY improve the maneuverability of your TRX. The TRX is a can crawler but it weakness is it maneuverability.

Change to a heavy oil in the shocks and get light springs. I use 2k weight oil and either yellow or white dot springs.

I weight just over 7.5lbs. Lots of brass weight is over rated. I run about 4 oz of weight (stick on wheel weights) in my tires, weighted hubs (front and rear, bigger in front) and a brass diff cover up front. Less than a lb of added weigh up front. If you are comping you will want overdrive in front and Underdrive in back for a a total of 24% OD.
Alright so change to 1 speed doesnt matter then, its just that the micro servers is in the way and also stops me from change my 1080 hw esc to 7.4 v for my servo since i will burn them. I also hate the sound the gearing box make when in 1st gear, i dunno maybe its broken. If i get a new motor will that be better if i want single speed?

I get what u saying about the weight etc, got it under control almost, just to front heavy atm with heavy rims some home made brass piece on the knuckle and battery below the front.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The best brushed system would be a Hobbywing 1080 ESC and a HH Crawlmaster. That's about $65 for both. I personally run a 1080/Trailmaster 27T(in a different rig) and really like it. Super smooth crawling. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with a crawlmaster to get even more torque. Can't speak on brushless motors, no experience with brushless, at least in crawlers.

EDIT: That Reedy 5 Slot is apparently pretty smooth, but I'd still go with a HH motor.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 01-25-2021 at 03:31 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
RCC Addict

This is the one Holmes recommends for the TRX4

15t – 10t CrawlMaster 550 (two speed transmission)
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post

How much hot glue do you have to use to join Team Hot Glue
Old 01-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #7

Holmes are abit to expensive for me atm. almost 100 euro
The one i found seems to be almost as good but cheaper china copy 40 euro.

but if i change to a 1500 kv motor it should be fine with single speed right?
better then using orginal motor with 2 speed?
Old 01-25-2021, 03:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi View Post
The one i found seems to be almost as good but cheaper china copy 40 euro.
Can answer the first part.

Holy smokes, I'd never pay that much for a $20 motor!! For those who don't want to convert, that's roughly $120 USD

Don't ever get a China copy of a HH motor. Unreliable and plain fraud and you are supporting that if you buy from them. I'd say get that Reedy 5 slot motor and a Hobbywing 1080. The 1080 will make a huge difference.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 01-25-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Can answer the first part.

Holy smokes, I'd never pay that much for a $20 motor!! For those who don't want to convert, that's roughly $120 USD

Don't ever get a China copy of a HH motor. Unreliable and plain fraud and you are supporting that if you buy from them. I'd say get that Reedy 5 slot motor and a Hobbywing 1080. The 1080 will make a huge difference.
Oh i thought that Reedy motor was some china copy
Ait i get that then, already got the 1080 and it was a huge diffrence.
Now i just want to get rid of the micro servers without loosing torque so that reedy motor will probebly be better then the titan 550.

Do i also need to change pin? i have been reading about ppl using diffrent pins in other threads but i dont understand this subject that much to settle it in what it is..
Old 01-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Alright so change to 1 speed doesnt matter then, its just that the micro servers is in the way and also stops me from change my 1080 hw esc to 7.4 v for my servo since i will burn them. I also hate the sound the gearing box make when in 1st gear, i dunno maybe its broken. If i get a new motor will that be better if i want single speed?

I get what u saying about the weight etc, got it under control almost, just to front heavy atm with heavy rims some home made brass piece on the knuckle and battery below the front.
Just keep your trans in first maybe down the line you will find a use for 2nd.

Get a direct power servo so you can set your ESC and 6 volts if you are running stock electronics. With a direct drive servo your servo gets all the power it wants straight from the battery. Even though a 1080 makes more voltage it still on makes 2 amps. Most servos will need about 5-6 amps to make full power.

You said you wanted the best motor for crawling. A $20 entry level motor is not the best motor for crawling. There are excellent brushed motors for crawling but they are not $20. The lower end motors don't have the drag brake and esp dont have the low speed control. I have some of motors and they go forward, backwards faster and slower, they are fine for a $20 motor but not the best for crawling. I run a Tenkin HD brushed I like in my class 1.

Last edited by MOguy; 01-25-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Which Holmes Motor? In the US depending on which brushed motor they range from $15-150. Them you have the brushless motors.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post

which Crawlmaster? the sport, pro, expert or magnum?

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...er-series.html
Old 01-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Whichever you can afford!

Here's the link to his motor recommendations:

https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

I use the budget Sport versions and they are excellent, but I don't compete.

Depending on how important winning is to you vs just having fun, pick up one of the fancier models.

BTW - for the originator of this thread - Reedy is the motor and speed control company from Team Associated, great stuff.

They are relatively new to the crawling world but have been raced in world championship on and off road RC for a very long time.

Holmes Hobbies focuses his electronics on crawling.

Last edited by durok; 01-25-2021 at 05:56 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Whichever you can afford!

Here's the link to his motor recommendations:

https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

I use the budget Sport versions and they are excellent, but I don't compete.

Depending on how important winning is to you vs just having fun, pick up one of the fancier models.

BTW - for the originator of this thread - Reedy is the motor and speed control company from Team Associated, great stuff.

They are relatively new to the crawling world but have been raced in world championship on and off road RC for a very long time.

Holmes Hobbies focuses his electronics on crawling.
Alrighty, thanks for the input!

I just ordered the Reedy 2 1500 kv, 20 t motor but leaving the gear box on 2 speed for trying it out first. Do you think i should change the pinion aswell?
The stock one seems to be an 11, but alot of ppl seems to use a 9 pinion. I dont understand what that means but is it better if iam just going for slow crawling? Also when i install the motor do i have to plug the + into - and vice verce to make it fit the traxxas drivetrain?
Old 01-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Alrighty, thanks for the input!

I just ordered the Reedy 2 1500 kv, 20 t motor but leaving the gear box on 2 speed for trying it out first. Do you think i should change the pinion aswell?
The stock one seems to be an 11, but alot of ppl seems to use a 9 pinion. I dont understand what that means but is it better if iam just going for slow crawling? Also when i install the motor do i have to plug the + into - and vice verce to make it fit the traxxas drivetrain?
Get a 9 and try it. Experimenting is a good thing.

You might have to plug the leads in opposite or your remote may have the option to reverse the motor.

When you set it up you want it to go faster forward then in reverse.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:16 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I personally run a 1080/Trailmaster 27T(in a different rig) and really like it. Super smooth crawling. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with a crawlmaster to get even more torque.

EDIT: That Reedy 5 Slot is apparently pretty smooth, but I'd still go with a HH motor.
At the same speed, the 3 slot will produce more torque then a 5 slot. The extra slots smooth it out. IMO its a subtle difference though.

For Holmes one of the difference between a sport and a pro is a pro produces 75% more power.

My method of getting the most power/torque at the least cost with brushed setups is 3s lipo, 1080 hobbywing, 21T 550 trailmaster or Crawlmaster sport 8T, 9t pinion (smallest).

If money is no object then HH BR-XL or Mini ESC, 4s lipo, 10T crawlmaster pro 550 or crawlmaster magnum 540 9T, 9t pinion (smallest)

I still use the crawlmasters for smoothness, but the power/torque comes mostly from the increased voltages, reduced gearing, handwound part of the motor allowing more copper, and size of the motors rotor.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Best motor to my trx4 for comp crawling? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Defender Dusk Rock Crawling RichardA Scale Videos! 0 09-30-2020 05:31 PM
TRX4 Crawling Deep Snow smog Videos! 0 01-15-2020 01:46 PM
Ascender and TRX4 Crawling By The River CT Yankee Scale Videos! 0 04-11-2018 07:28 AM
Traxxas TRX4 Crawling At Pescadero Beach driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 03-09-2018 09:45 PM
Modified Traxxas TRX4 Crawling On Trail driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 11-22-2017 12:50 PM