Pebble Pounder

Default Thoughts?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...PMXSEMC08.html
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Thoughts?

Saw the review on Scale Builders Guild and he said it's a rebranded Hobbywing system with slightly different programming.
Seems a decent trail truck system.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Screwfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I saw the review on SBG too and he seemed pretty pleased with it. I'm considering putting that system in my Gladiator if I can find it in Canada for a decent price.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I'm not at all a fan of the FOC that's in those systems so I'll be taking a pass on it but I'm sure plenty of folks will love it. HW seems to have been trying to develop this system well and Spektrum has always been reliable for me, so I'm sure it will work as it's intended to.

imo, that's pretty weak that they hit you for an extra $30 for the programming card though, every Castle system I've ever bought came a coupon for a free program card or discounted Castle link (or was that the other way around? It's been a while).

It only has a 3A BEC that only sets at 6V or 7.4V so an external will be required. When will the industry realize this is inadequate? Castle figured out with the Mamba X line. So that's another $20 cost to consider to add an external BEC.

Telemetry is neat and it sounds like they've set it up well, but that's not a feature that I can see being highly beneficial in crawl/trail trucks. I'd only see being really relevant go fast/basher rigs to monitor temps, not really an issue for these rigs in my experience.

It almost looks they've even spec'd a 3mm or 3.5mm bullet on the motor leads. Tough to tell for sure in the photos but I think industry standard ought to be 4mm bullets.

$250 for the system, $30 for the card and $20 for BEC; $300 would buy a Castle Mamba X/Holmes Puller Pro set-up with a much better BEC, a proven track record and you'd still have $50 in your pocket.

Even though they don't show pics of it I will acknowledge the superiority of the HW sensor connector which I assume the Spektrum uses. I wish that would become a standard across the industry.

I had to lol at their description on this version though - "Professional drag brake performance" - wait what, there's amateur drag brake performance? That statement alone seems to indicate that the marketing was written in a foreign language (i.e. by Hobbywing in Chinese) and then poorly translated. I'm not meaning that as a criticism, just an observation..

**DISCLAIMER**
This is just my opinionated opinions.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I'm of the same mind, for the money I will go with the Mamba X/HH Puller Pro.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
I saw the review on SBG too and he seemed pretty pleased with it.
You have to take these YouTube reviews with a grain of salt. If people are giving you free stuff and you want them to continue to give you free stuff, you won't trash their product.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Even though they don't show pics of it I will acknowledge the superiority of the HW sensor connector which I assume the Spektrum uses. I wish that would become a standard across the industry.
Rich from RC Driver said that it is a different plug.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Rich from RC Driver said that it is a different plug.
I wonder if that's why there's no photos of it - the whole system seems to be an obvious HW rebadge so they want to us assume they used the good HW plug but they've actually spec'd either the same old, same old or something else new and proprietary to spekky...
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thoughts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thoughts griz Axial Wraith 20 03-21-2012 12:30 PM
Any thoughts?? BoardN88 Axial Wraith 8 03-07-2012 09:27 AM
Your thoughts. Double J Tires and Wheels 56 01-31-2008 03:24 PM