Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lipo/Nimh charger with iPhone monitoring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Lipo/Nimh charger with iPhone monitoring?

Hi all, I want to upgrade my charger to a 2 channel and thought about getting something that would connect to my phone via Bluetooth and alert me when it’s done. I’m normally right around the charger during, but it would be nice to have an alert if it works well. I’ve been looking at the HiTec X2 Black Edition that has this feature. Anything else I should check out? Only have Nimh’s right now, but will get some lipos eventually.
twentyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Lipo/Nimh charger with iPhone monitoring?

SKY RC D100v2

I have it and it works pretty well. I actually like that I can connect my computer to it and see a lot of detail through their PC app. (USB connection)

But it has an app that works for iPhone and Android devices. It's pretty easy. you can print off a little QR code to stick on your battery and the app takes a pic of it and sets the charger based on the specs you have given in the QR code..

It also keeps count of how many times you've charged the battery (assuming you use the QR code.)

It's nice, you can make one QR code for storage charge, one for full charge, you set your amps for whatever battery you use and then you just set your channel, scan the bar code and it goes.

I will say that the bluetooth works well but if you have a multi story house it does tend to lose connection when you are on another floor.

I use the Bluetooth feature maybe 50% of the time.
AC49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Awesome, thanks for the info! Looks like the exact same charger as the Hi-Tec, unless I’m missing something, lol. I was curious about the QR code function, good to hear it works as advertised. I may just pick one up.

About how long does it take to charge two average sized batteries simultaneously on AC power?
Old 03-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have the SKY RC D100v2 and the Bluetooth feature is gimmick IMO. I never use it. The charger says "THE BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED" like 3 or 4 times, if you cant hear that (its pretty loud) then you weren't close enough to your batteries while they were charging.

The SKY RC D100v2 also can be controlled by a PC via USB which is nice.
Its a good charger, but the Bluetooth is not for me. Just set the amperage to the mAh of the battery and come back in an hour, or set an hour timer on your phone. Because 1C charge for a 1500 mAh battery is 1.5A. At 1.5A a 1500mAh battery should charge in 1 hour.

I never used the QR function. USB to a computer is the way to go if you have one handy. I assume this software will be the same on the Hi-Tec, (I checked and loaded the Hi-Tec software, its the same software just rebranded and works with either hitec or skyrc chargers)

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 03-04-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

It might be a we bit oftopic, but I like the cellphone option on my dis-charger. The advice has little features at all but via bluetooth you stay informed about discharging, what goes quiet fast on this one:
https://www.isdt.co/fd200.html?lang=en

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
ToCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks Voodoobrew. Do you know if you can turn the voice off and just have it beep when finished? Are you on a Mac or PC?
Old 03-04-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I turn all beeps and voice prompt off on my D100. The only noise it makes is on initial start up the voice reminds you to select the right voltage.

Charge time is average (about an hour for a completely dead 5,000 mah 3S)
but I charge at 4amps not 5.

When you turn off all the verbal and beeps then the bluetooth is nice because you get the notice, however I have had it many times where the notice doesn't work because I was out of range.

So I would agree it can be a bit gimmicky. It's a conviencience in some situations. Even if all you do is use the charger as a basic charger, it works well. the bells and whistls are just nice extra's to play with, but I wouldn't rely on them entirely. As was suggested. Set it (either on the screen or on the phone) and then still come back and check on it periodically.

Oh also... if you fall out of range of bluetooth and try to open it, it'll fail. When you go back into range it resets the charger. So it stops the charge cycle wherever it was when it re connected. however if you don't touch anything and just switch channels on your app sometimes it will reconnect and not reset the charger. It takes a bit of playing around to really get all the neuances figured out. Once you understand it's character it's fine. Just don't expect perfection.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:54 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Awesome, great info, thanks! Can you just turn off the voice and leave the beeps & alert sound at the end of charging? About how much range do you get with your phone? I usually charge in my garage and then will walk right outside in the yard about 50-100 feet.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:12 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyniner View Post
Thanks Voodoobrew. Do you know if you can turn the voice off and just have it beep when finished? Are you on a Mac or PC?
Yes you can turn the voice off. I dont know if you can make it beep instead though. There are 2 sound options Key beep and buzzer, I have only ever turned them both off, never one at a time. I don't think you can make it just beep. I just tried by storage charging a battery.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:29 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Much appreciated, Voodoobrew. And thanks to all.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyniner View Post
Awesome, great info, thanks! Can you just turn off the voice and leave the beeps & alert sound at the end of charging? About how much range do you get with your phone? I usually charge in my garage and then will walk right outside in the yard about 50-100 feet.
Most bluetooth devices (every bluetooth device you can think of) have a range of about 30 feet.
So you might get 50 feet out of it but that would be lucky.
Going through a wall is going to shorten that distance. This will be true of any bluetooth as it's designed to be near field communication.

I would suggest leaving the phone or tablet on a table just outside the garage and see if that keeps signal. Then turn on the alert volume to be loud so that you can hopefully hear it finish if you're elsewhere in the backyard.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

If the Bluetooth only reaches 30ft or so it seems like if you where in the other room eating a sandwich you could hear the charger chime when it was done. On the surface it seems cool, but would have to agree with voodoo that it's just a gimmick.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post

Can you configure Charger Master on the PC to send alerts? Like when charge is complete?
This would overcome the short range of Bluetooth connection.
ovidiugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC49 View Post
Most bluetooth devices (every bluetooth device you can think of) have a range of about 30 feet.
Thanks! I had called HiTec and this was their answer exactly. I went ahead and ordered one, figuring I can just use the phone to do the Scan to go function, and just stay close by.

I just got it today actually and it is a nice little charger. The app seems to work well starting a charge and I’ve already printed a QR code.

Do any of you guys charge NIMH’s? I noticed I can select the number of cells (6) in the app, but not when setting up a charge on the charger itself. It says only 2 cells in the app when I do that. I wouldn’t think it matters, but I left a message with HiTec asking about it. Anyone familiar with this?

Last edited by twentyniner; 03-12-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

mine is firmware 2.01 and I dont see how to set the number of cells from the charger. I think its automatic but dang that seems scary. I would defiantly be staying close when its charging.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:13 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

I thought so too. But I think it might just be a quirk with the app. Hi-Tec only said that in order for the app to work correctly while monitoring, you have to also set up the charge on the app. I have only been using the charger to program a charge, and there is no place to select the number of cells on mine either on NIMH mode. Not sure why it’s an option in the app. It’s been charging fine so far.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Its fine until it isn't. its worth paying the $4 for a temperature sensor or 2.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Thanks! I already ordered a Hi-Tec temp sensor.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I have the SKY RC D100v2 and the Bluetooth feature is gimmick IMO. I never use it. The charger says "THE BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED" like 3 or 4 times, if you cant hear that (its pretty loud) then you weren't close enough to your batteries while they were charging.

Its a good charger, but the Bluetooth is not for me. Just set the amperage to the mAh of the battery and come back in an hour, or set an hour timer on your phone. Because 1C charge for a 1500 mAh battery is 1.5A. At 1.5A a 1500mAh battery should charge in 1 hour.

I never used the QR function. USB to a computer is the way to go if you have one handy. I assume this software will be the same on the Hi-Tec, (I checked and loaded the Hi-Tec software, its the same software just rebranded and works with either hitec or skyrc chargers)

I'm thinking of getting Sky RC as recommended by a local guy here. It really seems better to just have a timer instead of relying on the bluetooth. We're going to be very busy this week for the installation of the parts for the Wrangler including the set of tires, smittybilt bumper and winch so I might not notice if the bluetooth connection is lost while charging.
dCowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Lipo/Nimh charger with iPhone monitoring? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can i charge my LiPo with NiMH charger? heefageLA Newbie General 15 08-25-2011 07:24 PM
Battery Charger for Lipo and NIMH. simoniz Electronics 7 10-19-2010 06:46 PM