Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 13T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2021, 03:36 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 13T

Hi guys. Just got this new motor for the TRX4. A Hobbywing 1080 ESC is in the mail and it should be here in a couple of days. Looking at the motor I have a couple of questions.

There is no indication on the motor, or any paperwork in the package on how to solder the cables. Just a small red dot on one side, which I pressume that it's for the red wire.

The TRX uses reverse rotation, so I will have to solder the black cable there instead?

Also do I need to break the engine when I install it, and what is the best way to do it?
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2021, 04:20 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 13T

You can do it two ways, either will work.

1. Solder red/red black/black, plug them in normally and then just change motor direction in the 1080.

2. Solder red/black black/red then you’re good to go.

I’ve never broke in a motor before, just run them right out of the package. I’m not sure it’ll make a huge-if any difference.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:23 AM   #3

I am not aware of any kind of break in in electric motors, but maybe someone can chime in. With regards to wiring you can solder both wires anyway and if rotation is not correct you can either: reverse black and red; reverse motor rotation in esc parameters (rotation= CW or CCW), or you can even reverse throttle channel but if you do this recalibrate your esc after. I think its easier to go with option 2) thru esc programing.

Best regards
nmoleiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:13 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Since when can you change motor direction in the 1080? What black magic is this...

If it drives backwards when you want to go forwards there is only one correct way to fix it.
You pull the trigger for forwards and watch the light on the 1080 esc, It should be green. if it is green and you are going in reverse then you swap the motor wires. If the light is red, then you change the direction in the remote controller.
Instead of switching the motor wires you can take the motor apart and rotate the can...ridiculous.
Any other way is incorrect.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 04-15-2021 at 05:16 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:31 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So, is there a proper way to do it right from the start, to avoid blind tests?
Old 04-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Since when can you change motor direction in the 1080? What black magic is this...

If it drives backwards when you want to go forwards there is only one correct way to fix it.
You pull the trigger for forwards and watch the light on the 1080 esc, It should be green. if it is green and you are going in reverse then you swap the motor wires. If the light is red, then you change the direction in the remote controller.
Instead of switching the motor wires you can take the motor apart and rotate the can...ridiculous.
I am sorry HW1080 doesnt have CC or CCW motor rotation parameter, i have not used one myself and assumed it has...
My bad!!
Old 04-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

What about the app, through the bluetooth link? will that work to reverse the rotation prior to calibrating the esc?
Old 04-15-2021, 07:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
What about the app, through the bluetooth link? will that work to reverse the rotation prior to calibrating the esc?

I don’t think that you can change it in
anyway, because that esc doesn’t have that parameter.
You should solder wires and if motor rotation is not correct just reverse black and red, or you can just try it before soldering if you can.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Voodoobrew is correct on this one; swapping the wires is the way to go. As far as break-in, there is a procedure for the Holmes Sport motors that can be found at the bottom of the product page. The procedure was written for the 540 motors, but it's the same link on all Sport motors. It's entirely up to you since the sport motors aren't terribly expensive. If doing the break-in helps the motor make better power and last longer, it's worth it for the short amount of time it takes.

https://blog.holmeshobbies.com/holme...tion-and-care/
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

If it goes faster forward then reverse you did it right no matter how you got there.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
If it goes faster forward then reverse you did it right no matter how you got there.
Because of motor timing, this is not entirely true. It is possible to go faster in reverse is the motor timing is set for CCW when your car is CW. Thus using the weaker reverse fets (if thats really a thing) to move forwards.

You don't need to break in Holmes Hobbies motors. It is either unnecessary or done for you. That blog is pretty old.

The effort it takes to mount the motor wires correctly the first time with 100% certainty is more work then reversing the wires. This is because not all cars have motors that mount using CCW as forwards. Most often it is not necessary to remove the motor from the vehicle to resolder or swap plugs.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 04-15-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Because of motor timing, this is not entirely true. It is possible to go faster in reverse is the motor timing is set for CCW when your car is CW. Thus using the weaker reverse fets (if thats really a thing) to move forwards.

You don't need to break in Holmes Hobbies motors. It is either unnecessary or done for you. That blog is pretty old.

The effort it takes to mount the motor wires correctly the first time with 100% certainty is more work then reversing the wires. This is because not all cars have motors that mount using CCW as forwards. Most often it is not necessary to remove the motor from the vehicle to resolder or swap plugs.
Would that be an issue with a HH Crawler Sport and a 1080?
Old 04-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I assume this is done with the motor off the car, right?
Old 04-15-2021, 12:55 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Yep, you are right. I forgot I switched it around on my transmitter, not the 1080
Old 04-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Yep, you are right. I forgot I switched it around on my transmitter, not the 1080
If you switch it round on the transmitter you may not get it right as far as the green light and faster forward.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you switch it round on the transmitter you may not get it right as far as the green light and faster forward.
Yeah Im not sure lol. I just threw it in my TRX4 for one run and I had to reverse it on the DX3. It went forward as it should
Old 04-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Yeah Im not sure lol. I just threw it in my TRX4 for one run and I had to reverse it on the DX3. It went forward as it should
Even if it is "Wrong" it won't hurt anything. It may affect your throttle curve if you can set on that ESC and your reverse maybe faster than forward,
Old 04-16-2021, 06:45 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Would that be an issue with a HH Crawler Sport and a 1080?
No.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:47 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Even if it is "Wrong" it won't hurt anything. It may affect your throttle curve if you can set on that ESC and your reverse maybe faster than forward,
No throttle curve on the 1080, Esc might run hotter in reverse (now forward/red light) if reverse has weaker FETs.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:58 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No throttle curve on the 1080, Esc might run hotter in reverse (now forward/red light) if reverse has weaker FETs.
No throttle curve? I though it allowed for that.

What do people like the 1080? With as much money people spend why not spend the extra 30-40 dollars for an SW4?

HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 13T - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Crawlmaster Sport 540 and 550 motors! JohnRobHolmes Electronics 53 01-16-2020 04:21 PM
Hw1080 with hh crawlmaster sport 550 12t on 3s? dirtman71 Electronics 8 11-25-2019 01:21 PM
New Crawlmaster Sport 540 and 550 motors! JohnRobHolmes New Products and Great Deals 0 09-20-2019 05:52 AM
My Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster sport 13T died today realsickclown Electronics 25 01-08-2014 04:44 PM