Notices

Thread: New Holmes Hobbies ESC spotted: Crawlmaster Mini V1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2022, 01:08 AM   #121
RCC Addict

Default Re: New Holmes Hobbies ESC spotted: Crawlmaster Mini V1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Got trouble with my crawlmaster mini again. The esc suddenly stopped working like normal. The motor stalled, and won’t start again. You can hear the motor cogging, but it will not drive. When I disconnected the battery and powered up again, the startup sound won’t work. But the motor and esc got power, and the motor coggs when using the throttle. Tried to Flash the software again, but that did not work. The esc was cold when it stopped working, so no termal issues. Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

I’m not sure I’ve posted this before, but I couldn’t get y crawlmaster mini to arm. I’d plug a battery in have power and steering but no motor. John robert Holmes told me to bump my throttle trim up or down 60 clicks. I did that, and haven’t had any issues with it since. Not sure this will help you but good luck and let us know what you find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2022, 09:39 AM   #122
I wanna be Dave

One of mine had to have the throttle trim bumped up to 49, I swapped from another motor that needed it set to 60 but it also failed to arm sometimes. With that setup I found a method that allow me to arm it even when it wouldn't on its own, right after plugging in the battery i pulled the throttle back all the way and then slowly released it and then it usually armed.
I showed my brother what was happening and he was perplexed. I spent a lot of time trying to fine tune where the trim should be set but it seemed to work one day and not the next (this was on the original motor only).

Once you get it armed I would suggest adjusting the trim until it creeps forward and then backwards, note these values and find the value between them, this is where your throttle trim should likely be set to.

I have 2 other V1's and they were not this finicky, but again the motor used had some effect on it too.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-05-2022 at 09:41 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:26 PM   #123
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
One of mine had to have the throttle trim bumped up to 49, I swapped from another motor that needed it set to 60 but it also failed to arm sometimes. With that setup I found a method that allow me to arm it even when it wouldn't on its own, right after plugging in the battery i pulled the throttle back all the way and then slowly released it and then it usually armed.
I showed my brother what was happening and he was perplexed. I spent a lot of time trying to fine tune where the trim should be set but it seemed to work one day and not the next (this was on the original motor only).

Once you get it armed I would suggest adjusting the trim until it creeps forward and then backwards, note these values and find the value between them, this is where your throttle trim should likely be set to.

I have 2 other V1's and they were not this finicky, but again the motor used had some effect on it too.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve already tried adjusting the trim in different ways. I did adjust the throttle in the software so i could run the trim in normal posision, wich worked fine until now. The esc does not arm with the normal beeps, but the still power to the esc. The motor responds with cogging when the throttle is pulled, and the esc get’s warm quite quick.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Try getting it to beep again (by moving the throttle trim again) then try pulling the trigger (like i described above) to get it to arm. if it does not beep it will not arm.

And again one of mine worked fine with the trim I set it to one day but not the next as if it was shifting around on its own. That motor and ESC combo never armed reliably but after replacing the motor i was able to dial it in so it fires up everytime.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-05-2022 at 01:50 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:59 PM   #125
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Try getting it to beep again (by moving the throttle trim again) then try pulling the trigger (like i described above) to get it to arm. if it does not beep it will not arm.

And again one of mine worked fine with the trim I set it to one day but not the next as if it was shifting around on its own. That motor and ESC combo never armed reliably but after replacing the motor i was able to dial it in so it fires up everytime.
I’ve already tried moving the throttle trim to get it to arm, but with no luck. Normally when the esc dos not arm, you won’t get the cogging. If I pull full throttle to get it to arm, the motor starts cogging. It did not do that before.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:00 PM   #126
Rock Crawler

I just ordered a Crawlmaster Mini V2. Was there anything necessary to calibrate the V1 to the radio or do you just install it and go? Don’t recall seeing anything pertaining to calibration and assuming the process is the same with the V2. Thanks for any clarification!
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:07 PM   #127
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
I just ordered a Crawlmaster Mini V2. Was there anything necessary to calibrate the V1 to the radio or do you just install it and go? Don’t recall seeing anything pertaining to calibration and assuming the process is the same with the V2. Thanks for any clarification!

You should be able to just plug it in and go. I had an issue with my v1 not arming. Holmes told me to bump my throttle trim up or down 60 clicks and after doing so it’s armed every time. But that was with one of the very first batches of v1’s I think you should be fine

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:10 PM   #128
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
You should be able to just plug it in and go. I had an issue with my v1 not arming. Holmes told me to bump my throttle trim up or down 60 clicks and after doing so it’s armed every time. But that was with one of the very first batches of v1’s I think you should be fine

Well, I soldered up the esc today. Connected the motor and plugged it in. Motor was stuttering bad. Checked throttle forward/reverse trim and centered it (2 clicks). Unplugged and plugged back in and same issue. Motor stutters horribly in forward and reverse. Messaged Holmes Hobbies and sent them the video just a little bit ago so I’ll see what they say. Anticipating sending it back for evaluation. Not happy, but I always hear that they take care of customers so fingers crossed.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:55 AM   #129
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Anticipating sending it back for evaluation. Not happy, but I always hear that they take care of customers so fingers crossed.
Did you set up the motor with the configuration tool ?

Last edited by themountain; 06-15-2022 at 01:14 AM.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:03 AM   #130
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Did you set up the motor with the calibration tool ?
First time hearing about a calibration tool. Messaged Holmes before receiving it and they directed me to the instructions on the site which basically say to plug it in, let esc go through series of beeps, and good to go.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:17 PM   #131
Rock Crawler

After messaging Holmes Hobbies with my issue and video they agreed that something isn’t right with one of the items and sent me a shipping label to send it in so they can sort it out. Gratitude to Holmes team for caring about their customers. Hopefully they’ll figure it out because I loved the other Revolvers that I had but with a brain injury the noise was literally excruciatingly painful to bear.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:14 AM   #132
Rock Crawler

Quote:
First time hearing about a calibration tool. .
Go to the github AM32 page and download the latest https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...leases/...then you need one of those BL32 USB Linker(or you already have one) and connect the esc to your computer . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxdo9pVVi4
Old 06-15-2022, 01:41 PM   #133
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Go to the github AM32 page and download the latest https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...leases/...then you need one of those BL32 USB Linker(or you already have one) and connect the esc to your computer . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxdo9pVVi4
Gotcha. No, I don’t have one. Was hoping that the factory settings would be in the ballpark because I don’t really like plugging into a laptop to program. After I send the motor and esc in and get them back I’ll end up picking one up anyway. Much appreciation on the links you provided. That’ll help point me where I need to go.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #134
Rock Crawler

Got the crawlmaster V2 esc a few months ago and haven’t got the chance to use it yet.

But my question is do you need the AM32 program we adaptor to run the esc?

How do you use it?

Explain it to me like I’m 5 years old.

Mudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:44 PM   #135
Rock Crawler

Mudsy, you do not need the programmer to run the Crawlmaster Mini V2. Plug it in, let it do it’s little beepity beep thing, and you’re good. The only thing that I’ve seen suggested is to increase your throttle forward trim until it just starts to creep (write this number down), then increase your throttle reverse trim until it just starts to creep (write this number down) and then figure what trim setting is dead center between the two and set that as your “neutral”. There is a program card thing available if you care to make adjustments but John has this esc programmed pretty spot on from the factory. I had to send my brand new esc and motor in because it was stuttering badly. They tested both items and determined that the esc was defective and replaced it, and even soldered the new one. It works phenomenally paired with a Revolver 1800kv V3 and a direct power servo (after I adjusted the “neutral” throttle as explained above). It sucked being without a brand new esc and motor for a couple of weeks, but I applaud Holmes Hobbies for standing behind their products and making it right.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:25 PM   #136
Rock Crawler

The thing is the esc has to be set up for the kv of the motor you are using...so ,yes ,you probably need this-> US $8.77 | FrSky BLHeli32 USB Linker for Neuron ESC
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vT9voF and the software to run it...just check out HH clips to it on yt
Old 08-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #137
RCC Addict

Only been able to take one 20ish minute run with my mini paired with a 2500 Revolver.
Got a AM32 programmer (from Dlux Fab) and put the 1.2v firmware on it. It was getting hot when I was bench testing after initial fire up on the factory firmware. Seen Johns Vid on the 1.2 so got that on and its way better. Still will get a little warm if I am in really slow crawl speed, but way cooler than it was with the original firmware.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:04 PM   #138
RCO
Pebble Pounder

Did anybody know where to downloed the Holmes Programming Suite?
On the website is nothing…

THX!
RCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:44 AM   #139
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO View Post
Did anybody know where to downloed the Holmes Programming Suite?
On the website is nothing…

THX!
https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...r-ESC-firmware
Old 12-05-2022, 08:11 AM   #140
RCO
Pebble Pounder

Great!!! Thank you!
RCO is offline   Reply With Quote

New Holmes Hobbies ESC spotted: Crawlmaster Mini V1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies Br-mini esc in a scale rig ? tapped-out Axial SCX10 II 4 03-05-2018 11:03 PM
holmes hobbies dual mini esc calibration J21 Newbie General 8 08-22-2017 04:58 AM