Notices

Thread: Creating '2s' from 2-1s packs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Creating '2s' from 2-1s packs?

Hello all my knowledge-base-buddies!!
My question today is this:

In order to run my Enduro24 T.W., on 2s, (with on-hand supplies/parts)...could i (in theory) simply take two tiny 1s packs, and solder each pack's red leads to an XT60 connector, then do the same with the 2 negative leads?? Or would this be the "opposite" (series, vs parallel) of what i need to do to create a "2s" pack???

Accepting even the more complex responses/procedures, as i know quite a LOT about electronics ..but, u know...gotta test y'all's knowledge!

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Creating '2s' from 2-1s packs?

You would need a series connecter to make a 2s "pack".
Parallel would just make a higher capacity 1s "pack"

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I wont claim to be an expert but I would think you'd want to just make an adapter rather than joining these together permanently.

Making these into a 2S pack would require more work as you'd need a balance lead and to connect it to the appropriate cells, mess that up and you have problems. Where as making an adapter would allow you to charge these just like you do now as a 1S pack and to know its legit safe.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:01 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Google "Series wiring" for two batteries. Balance plug probably needed, so ask a smaller RC electronics company that will respond to you.

My F-Toy build required me to put the lipo under the rear bed area. It Wasn’t too tough after I got a little wiring diagram help from PowerShift Rc.
They made one for me then I made my own.
Three 1s now a single 3s.
So, do it!

Last edited by Szczerba; 05-24-2021 at 11:04 PM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I wont claim to be an expert but I would think you'd want to just make an adapter rather than joining these together permanently.

Making these into a 2S pack would require more work as you'd need a balance lead and to connect it to the appropriate cells, mess that up and you have problems. Where as making an adapter would allow you to charge these just like you do now as a 1S pack and to know its legit safe.
Agreed!. You want to keep the separate and charge each one alone as a 1S. If you want a single 2S pack just buy that. If you want 2x 1S batteries in series to look like a 2S pack then leave the connector on each one and wire them in series on your rig.

The cable will be a "Y" cable, something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15389705138...7a36366f6fec6f

Notice the black wire at the bottom connects the negative on the left to the positive on the right, for each battery. The connector on the top (with red and black leads) goes to your ESC. Your diagram will look something like this. Pardon the primitive graphic.

Code:
Bat 1 + ────┐
Bat 1 - ─┐  │
         │  └ ESC +
         │  ┌ ESC 1
Bat 2 + ─┘  │
Bat 2 - ────┘
In series, you add the voltage.

If you don't want to solder it up, you can probably buy a cable.

Most of the 6S and higher truck have options for dual batteries and the "Y" cables are common.

Make sure you do not mix up the ends of the "Y". In theory not much will happen, but I haven't proved it out myself.

itr1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itr1275 View Post
Agreed!. You want to keep the separate and charge each one alone as a 1S. If you want a single 2S pack just buy that. If you want 2x 1S batteries in series to look like a 2S pack then leave the connector on each one and wire them in series on your rig.

Notice the black wire at the bottom connects the negative on the left to the positive on the right, for each battery. The connector on the top (with red and black leads) goes to your ESC. Your diagram will look something like this. Pardon the primitive graphic.

Code:
Bat 1 + ────┐
Bat 1 - ─┐  │
         │  └ ESC +
         │  ┌ ESC 1
Bat 2 + ─┘  │
Bat 2 - ────┘
In series, you add the voltage.

If you don't want to solder it up, you can probably buy a cable.

Most of the 6S and higher truck have options for dual batteries and the "Y" cables are common.

Make sure you do not mix up the ends of the "Y". In theory not much will happen, but I haven't proved it out myself.

This right here. Keep the batteries separate so you can charge as 1S (creating a balance connector is too dangerous for the hobbyist) and just make a series harness.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
(creating a balance connector is too dangerous for the hobbyist) and just make a series harness.
Not totally true. I had never wired up separate lipos with a balance plug. It was not dangerous, as I consulted PowerShift RC for correct wiring diagram.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote

Creating '2s' from 2-1s packs? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creating a jig or template? xsputnikx Tools, and Procedures 5 10-16-2014 10:42 AM
Creating an interior crawling-wallz Paint and Body 5 01-03-2011 09:58 PM
CReating completely custom Scaler Crawlercrazy101 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 12-28-2010 08:27 AM
creating your own fender flares? STANG KILLA SS General Scale Talk 46 01-08-2008 10:02 AM
video editing/creating mudrinner4ever Chit Chat 1 06-12-2006 11:45 PM