Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Savox SA-1230SG buzzing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #1

Default Savox SA-1230SG buzzing

I put this servo a Savox SA-1230SG into my TRX4
i have a Castle Mamba X for the esc and the servo is in slot 1 on the esc
My Problem is no matter where I set the trim or the end point this servo buzzes!
Now if i lift up the chassis or move the front wheels by hand the buzzing will stop at some point, but i set the trx 4 back on its own weight the buzzing starts again.
Bad servo out of the box? Or am I not setting thing up right?
This does it with the trx4 radio and the flysky g5

Oh this servo came with a 16v 6800uf resister? does that need to be hooked up? if so where does it plug into?

Last edited by Bill F; 06-13-2021 at 11:05 AM. Reason: adding
Bill F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Savox SA-1230SG buzzing

Virtually all of the Savox servos are super noisy. It's one of the reasons I dont run them anymore.

It likely came with a capacitor to be plugged into an unused port on the reciever to help stabilize the voltage and prevent "brown outs" due to the large servo amp draw when under load. It's kind of a bandaid for a weak or undersized BEC.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

That's why I call my SA-1256TG a cry baby and had to change. Swapping to Highend 2290SG I got rid of that noise and I'm convinced it is good having such a strong one on that direct position. I wonder if the 1256 doesen't like to be in active controll all the time. In a classic set up with a servo saver connected in series it doesen't that much.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Last edited by ToCrawl; 06-13-2021 at 12:02 PM.
ToCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #4

Thanks guy's !

I tried to research for a good or better servo then stock but tried to save some $$
Wish there was a list of parts on here to stay away from or not to buy
sort of a do not buy because of this problem or that problem

So trying to stay under 70 bucks or 80 what is the best choice for the TRX4?
Bill F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Whether or not the "Savox buzz" is an issue is really a matter of opinion. Its certainly better than the stock servo. Some people can run that same Savox for years without issues, others are super abusive and may kill it in a few monthes.

I'm basically a servo killer. I've run, and killed, various expensive Hitec, Savox, Futaba and others over the years. The best surviving ones are my Promodelers. I've got a few 420s, several 470s, a 555, and a few 630s. As close to indestructible as you'll find. Just dont get the 360, its specs say it will work just fine, and the price point is appealing, but the gears won't tolerate the shock loads. I stripped one on its first pack, the neighbor ignored my warning and got 2 of them. Stripped them both in a couple monthes, then stepped up to 470s and no more issues.

It is a bit annoying that about half of the "upgrades" on the market aren't actually upgrades, just bling.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F View Post
Thanks guy's !

I tried to research for a good or better servo then stock but tried to save some $$
Wish there was a list of parts on here to stay away from or not to buy
sort of a do not buy because of this problem or that problem

So trying to stay under 70 bucks or 80 what is the best choice for the TRX4?
I wouldn't say it's a part to stay away from or not to buy... it's a good strong servo. What matters is if you can deal with it being super annoying in a crawler. I couldn't handle it, so I put mine in a Rock Rey. Just get something fast and loud to make use of it... haha.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

It works great in my Ford bronco trx4. The savoy makes a noise similar to the full size Ford power steering pump.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I've dealt with buzzing digital servos in my large scale RC planes for a decade and a half. No biggie. It's a good servo. Run it till it dies and then research the latest/greatest that's on the market at that time and get one that's quiet and strong.

Savox has been strong in digital airplane servos long before they got into the car scene. On a precision aerobatic plane (or high speed turbine jet) precise centering is one of the biggest factors we look for (i.e. when you take your hand off the sticks the plane tracks perfectly straight and level). To achieve this the digital servo is set for a very high deadband around center. I'm guessing Savox carried that over from plane servos to the surface stuff, even though it's frankly not as important. This is where the noise is coming from. The digital board is always trying to find the precise spot the transmitter is telling to look for and thus the noise.

Last edited by OnTheTrail; 07-14-2021 at 09:17 PM.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

@OnTheTrail That sounds like a very good conclusion and statement for Savox-Servos. Strengths in the air might annoy in the field, being close to the rig. Good to highlight where they come from and have their strength. Knowing this helps to decide.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
ToCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:29 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Ive got a savox in my vs4, other than the noise its a good servo. Can get a bit annoyin, but if u bump the steering just a touch, itll stop cryin. As for a good cheap servo, ive had good luck with powerhd. The 20kg n 25kg have plenty of torque, not super fast but fast enuf. In my gspeed im runnin a nitro pro 550 servo. 556oz @ 8.4v n its rather fast too, but its $119
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I run a number of Savox, and they are indeed noisy, but have proven to be good servos. Trying out a few Reefs now, and they are much quieter.

s
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Savox servos are noisey. What is the power is your internal BEC on you ESC set to? It should be 6 volts. Unless you have changed the rest of yo electronics that is what you want the BEC set for anyway.

Unless you want to go direct power that servo is a good choice for a TRX 4 because it runs at 6 volts full power. It is power hunger when it comes to amps the the MambaX provides all the amps it needs.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-27-2021 at 01:53 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Savox servos are noisey. What is the power is your internal BEC on you ESC set to? It should be 6 volts. Unless you have changed the rest of yo electronics that is what you want the BEC set for anyway.

Unless you want to go direct power that servo is a good choice for a TRX 4 because it runs at 6 volts full power. It is power hunger when it comes to amps the the MambaX provides all the amps it needs.
The 1230 in my Rock Rey with a mamba x set to 7.5v... I doubt setting it to 8v would hurt anything.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:26 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
The 1230 in my Rock Rey with a mamba x set to 7.5v... I doubt setting it to 8v would hurt anything.
I would turn it back to 6volt. You may ruin it running to much power through it. It is a strong 6volt allowing you to still have a strong servo without over powering other electronics that can't take it higher voltage, such as the stock TRX electronic components.

I ran 7.4 volts trough my TRX (different servo) and it wasn't long after that my receiver failed. That is the best servo I have ever gotten from Savox, I wouldn't want to ruin it.

I ran a 1212 7.4 volts at 8 volts. It over heated and froze up the first time out. I have had issues with other 1212 and they seem to suck but my 1230s have been very good and dependable.

according to savox max is 6 volts:
Technical specifications:
Servo Technology: Digital Low Voltage
Input Voltage (V): 4.8V - 6.0V
Servo Type / Size: Standard
Motor Type: Coreless Motor
Gear Material: Steel Gears
Ball Beared: Ball Beared
Servo Case: Aluminium - Composite
Speed 60°/Sec @ 6.0V: 0.16 Sec/60°
Torque kg/cm @ 6.0V: 36.0 Kg/cm

https://www.savox-servo.com/Servos-c...or-Steel-Gear/

Last edited by MOguy; 07-28-2021 at 06:30 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 12:26 PM   #15

Thanks for the shout out meatmonkey, I appreciate it. Fellow ordered a DS635BLHV online from us citing research that began with this thread. Turns out he has a Kraton 6S, so not a crawler at all (about the size of an X-Maxx, in fact). So after a bit he decides to go with a DS1155, instead. Anyway, since we're mentioned, the attached photo shows how ours compares to theirs. Inexpensive servo? Nope. But in our defense, how many do you replace before it makes sense to quit fooling around and get a serious servo? Big rigs, big loads, means getting off your wallet. However, for smaller rigs, like TRX4, then our $89.99 DS505BLHV makes perfect sense. Anyway, this is our big gun against their big gun.

jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:29 PM   #16

They are noise but strong and reliable. Love my monsters!
Njeffs8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Savox SA-1230SG buzzing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Savox 1230sg Tyler75 Newbie General 4 12-26-2016 03:06 AM
Savox SA-1230SG servo Jeepiac Electronics 10 09-24-2015 03:26 PM
Savox SA-1230SG twitching? ZackMicF Electronics 1 07-10-2012 10:19 PM