Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Direct power mini servo winch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Direct power mini servo winch

Looking for something like this that is direct power that can run on 3s or 4s. I want to be able to mount it laying done on a bumper winch mount, I don't want one that needs a servo mount and no external controller. Is there anything like that out there?

Reef 99Micro Servo Winch

https://rcnewb.com/small-yet-mighty-...o-servo-winch/

Last edited by MOguy; 08-23-2021 at 01:13 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Direct power mini servo winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Is there anything like that out there?
Reef 99Micro Servo Winch
First off...that Reef is a AGFrc rebrand ....so to find an equal servo wont be a problem
Second...that servo isnt direct powered either
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
First off...that Reef is a AGFrc rebrand ....so to find an equal servo wont be a problem
Second...that servo isnt direct powered either
That is just an example.

I want a direct power mini I can control with my controller. I suppose I could get one power by the ESC's internal BEC through the receiver if they exist.

Right now I am running and SW4 which has a crappy internal BEC but I am thinking about going to a MambaX. The mini's size and mounting on its side is the important part and I don't want to have another component for the controller. Space is an issue.

I used that one as example because of the avaialbe mount. I want it to lay it on the winch mount on my bumper. I am able to set the mount part of my bumper back under the body back far enough so it doesn't stick out past my front tires.

I want to sit it back where the battery is now on the pic below and the battery will mount opposite side of my ESC.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-23-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Ahh...I understand....you are running 4s in that car? Would it be easier to run a small BEC from the main battery and power the winch servo with that ? A BEC is like 5-10 grams...a second battery is at least 80grams.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Ahh...I understand....you are running 4s in that car? Would it be easier to run a small BEC from the main battery and power the winch servo with that ? A BEC is like 5-10 grams...a second battery is at least 80grams.
I will run just one battery. I already have 2 direct power servos, why not a third.

At this time just 3s but I have a MambaX sitting on the bench ready to go in. I can set the MambaX up to more power (not as much as direct power) but I do still have an original TRX. I can replace that mini servo if necessary. I would rather change the TRX mini to one that can handle more power than get an external BEC. The body I have fits tight and with the front SOA set up space is tight up front. There is already more than enough wires in my rig, I don't want more.

I have an electric winch on my C1 and I control it with a 3 position switch on my DX5 rugged, I want it set up the same (as far as operation) for my C3 in the pic above. I don not want a separate controller.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-24-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
and I don't want to have another component for the controller. Space is an issue.

it sounds like you need the HeyOK winch controller, it takes up virtually no space.

He's a vendor on the board and you should be able to find his site fairly easily.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
it sounds like you need the HeyOK winch controller, it takes up virtually no space.

He's a vendor on the board and you should be able to find his site fairly easily.
Only control option I will consider is 3 way switch on my controller run trough my receiver. No external controller, no extra crap to hold onto. That is how my C1 is setup and it works for me. I tried an separate controller in the past and it was a PIA.

I have given up on the mini, the only one I find is from Reef and it is too weak and not direct power.

I am looking into the 3 bros direct power overland winch. I have their direct power servos and they are very good. Their servo winch wires up just like their steering servos. I am planning to mount an axial type servo mount on my winch plate for the winch. By doing this I can lay the servo on its side.

I have messaged 3 bros to make sure it is in stock. I will mount a regular servo in the place to make sure I have room to make it all work and if it does I think that is the route I will go.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

What is a direct power servo but a servo that can handle 3s voltages with a different wiring harness?
If you can find any servo that can handle 12.4v then just run the power and ground to the battery and the signal to the receiver. if you get a feedback loop then split the ground and run it to both.
If you can't find a servo that handles 12.4v then you need to reduce the voltage with a BEC or buck converter of appropriate size.

a servo is not much different than an esc, it's just smaller and has a potentiometer to monitor turns.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
What is a direct power servo but a servo that can handle 3s voltages with a different wiring harness?
If you can find any servo that can handle 12.4v then just run the power and ground to the battery and the signal to the receiver. if you get a feedback loop then split the ground and run it to both.
If you can't find a servo that handles 12.4v then you need to reduce the voltage with a BEC or buck converter of appropriate size.

a servo is not much different than an esc, it's just smaller and has a potentiometer to monitor turns.
Planning on 4s, no external controller or BEC. I would consider one that could run off my internal BEC but not an external one. Reef does make a good one like that but it isn't mini.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-24-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:48 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

https://rcnewb.com/small-yet-m...unc...o-servo-winch/
Will absolutely run off an internal bec.

All it is is a servo with no endstops so it keeps spinning, and a spool. Search for 360 continuous rotation servo.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 08-24-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If the problem is that's a micro servo not a mini servo I would just get something like this

Selizo 5 Pcs Retractable Keychain Retractable Badge Holder Reel Clip ID Badge Holder with Steel Wire Rope, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QKR1KCH...3RTJPFYFR9Y8BM

A smaller servo won't have any power.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:59 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
https://rcnewb.com/small-yet-m...unc...o-servo-winch/
Will absolutely run off an internal bec.

All it is is a servo with no endstops so it keeps spinning, and a spool. Search for 360 continuous rotation servo.

Link not working
Old 08-25-2021, 04:05 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If the problem is that's a micro servo not a mini servo I would just get something like this

Selizo 5 Pcs Retractable Keychain Retractable Badge Holder Reel Clip ID Badge Holder with Steel Wire Rope, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QKR1KCH...3RTJPFYFR9Y8BM

A smaller servo won't have any power.

Already have a bungee, I went to a big comp over the weekend and it seems the direction things are heading with rules that a bungee and especially something like that would be considered assisted recovery. I do have that exact same key ring thing in my Jeep for my radio mic and it would not be strong enough.

Also the competition and courses are getting harder. The bungee just doesn't work as well as an electric winch. I'm running a scale electric winch on my C1 through an ESC and the winch is a lot more usable than the bungee.

I think I'm going to wait for a bit. I am betting that with the new rules with SORRCA and other places about assisted versus unassisted recovery and bungees that there will be more servo winch options soon.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I just copied your link txt that was the reefs servo in the first post.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I just copied your link txt that was the reefs servo in the first post.

I like that one and could mount it about anywhere but it is too weak. I would really like a mini if they make one stronger.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I like that one and could mount it about anywhere but it is too weak. I would really like a mini if they make one stronger.
You could use a tiny 1408 quadcoper motor and esc with a spool.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:12 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

No, that wouldn't work. It won't hold in neutral without gearing.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:14 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I ended up going with the REEF 800IS.

I am going to mount it laying down using the bracket for a Servo on Axle setup.

Direct power mini servo winch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas 8028 LED Power Supply can i wire direct to a 3s battery? willygee Traxxas TRX-4 8 04-17-2018 06:31 PM
Power the Traxxas Rock Lights direct from rx magic_yeti Traxxas TRX-4 3 01-20-2018 01:38 PM
rc4wd wireless winch run off direct 3s lipo ??? greggreg2011 Electronics 0 08-09-2013 06:22 PM
Can I power a winch and servo from the same BEC? Sydwaiz Electronics 12 08-25-2010 05:27 PM