Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Team Brood Riot in the Creeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Team Brood Riot in the Creeper

Thought I'd start a new thread for those looking to see a bit more info on the Riot motor from Team Brood racing. I'm not sponsored or anything like that, and I have now three Brood motors in my collection that I've paid full retail for.

The Riot is my first brushless motor from Brood where as my other ( Creep and Slither ) are brushed and of 2021 manufacture. The current setup is a moderately reworked Losi Night Crawler set up on 1.9" tires.

Motor: Team Brood Riot 1600 kv
ESC: Castle Copperhead 10 ( after wasting money on the HW 1080 WP, I've switched all my crawler rigs to this Copperhead. )
Servo: Reefs 422
Battery: 4s / 850 mAh battery.
Ready to run weight: 2030 grams with a 57/43 split.

I'm still dialing in the suspension setup and weight distribution. With considerable help from the RC lab in Loma, Colorado, I have custom links, link mounts, electronic trays, switched all hardware to metric, underdriven the rear axle, and a few other small touches.

On the trail the Creeper has been doing well, but I have a ways to go. Truck shows potential, and the Riot has seemingly endless power. Absolutely superb low speed control, really allowing me to creep along the trail.

That said, the motor is loud. Much more than I had anticipated, and I'm on the fence as to if I can stay with it. I often crawl alone out in the boonies, and the motor sound really throws off the peaceful morning mojo. The purpose of this truck is more of a tire tester than a daily crawler, so I may just put up with the noise knowing that I won't drive it much. My main truck is my VS 410 Pro with Brood Slither, and that is such a pleasure to drive.

-s

SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #2

Default Re: Team Brood Riot in the Creeper

Your motor noise is more of a function of the ESC than the motor. A few of us are running Riot SS 1400kV motors in our comp crawlers with a Holmes Crawlmaster Mini on 4S - they're nearly silent.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
Thought I'd start a new thread for those looking to see a bit more info on the Riot motor from Team Brood racing. I'm not sponsored or anything like that, and I have now three Brood motors in my collection that I've paid full retail for.

The Riot is my first brushless motor from Brood where as my other ( Creep and Slither ) are brushed and of 2021 manufacture. The current setup is a moderately reworked Losi Night Crawler set up on 1.9" tires.

Motor: Team Brood Riot 1600 kv
ESC: Castle Copperhead 10 ( after wasting money on the HW 1080 WP, I've switched all my crawler rigs to this Copperhead. )
Servo: Reefs 422
Battery: 4s / 850 mAh battery.
Ready to run weight: 2030 grams with a 57/43 split.

I'm still dialing in the suspension setup and weight distribution. With considerable help from the RC lab in Loma, Colorado, I have custom links, link mounts, electronic trays, switched all hardware to metric, underdriven the rear axle, and a few other small touches.

On the trail the Creeper has been doing well, but I have a ways to go. Truck shows potential, and the Riot has seemingly endless power. Absolutely superb low speed control, really allowing me to creep along the trail.

That said, the motor is loud. Much more than I had anticipated, and I'm on the fence as to if I can stay with it. I often crawl alone out in the boonies, and the motor sound really throws off the peaceful morning mojo. The purpose of this truck is more of a tire tester than a daily crawler, so I may just put up with the noise knowing that I won't drive it much. My main truck is my VS 410 Pro with Brood Slither, and that is such a pleasure to drive.

-s

Are you having issues with your Copperheads?

Last edited by MOguy; 09-16-2021 at 11:48 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

MOA,

Sorry for the delay; I just noticed your posts about the Copperhead. One of my friends also commented that the Holmes ESC is quieter as well, and I might try that at some point.

That said, I'm so pleased with the performance of my Creeper running the Brood Riot / Copperhead 10 ESC that I'm gonna leave the setup as is for the time being. The control at the low power range is quite nice.

SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
MOA,

Sorry for the delay; I just noticed your posts about the Copperhead. One of my friends also commented that the Holmes ESC is quieter as well, and I might try that at some point.

That said, I'm so pleased with the performance of my Creeper running the Brood Riot / Copperhead 10 ESC that I'm gonna leave the setup as is for the time being. The control at the low power range is quite nice.

I was happy with the performance of my Copperhead and Revolver but it would just cut out, the steering and winch would still work but not motor.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Team Brood Riot in the Creeper - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team brood 2s/3s Meir Electronics 3 01-08-2017 07:05 AM