Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Your thoughts on this Li-Poly battery please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
PapaGriz Yo

Default Your thoughts on this Li-Poly battery please

So a long time ago I bought a Li-Poly pack but was afraid to use it. Now, with all the success I have seen using them in crawlers and because I am brushless, I am considering using the battery.

This is a Thunder Power 2100mAh 2S 7.4V pack. It is rated at 10-12C continuous/15C burst. I read in another thread that Thunder Power is a good brand.

1) Do Li-Po's expire? This one has a date of 10/14/04 on it.

2) Is the rating OK for my TLT running 16/87 gearing with a Gen1 Revolver and Mamba 25?

3) This battery has been sitting on the shelf for maybe a year. It's still in the package and has never been used. Is it still any good? I suppose a voltage check would tell me that right? Under 3V and it's prolly no good?

Thanks for any help guys.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

Sorry I can't help but everytime I think on using mine this comes to mind!

Lipo explosion!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666
Sorry I can't help but everytime I think on using mine this comes to mind!

Lipo explosion!
Yup, that's why it's been sitting on the shelf. I'm feeling brave right now though.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I run almost the same cell (1900mh) in my 2.2 set up with a hyperion and max esc,r2 tranny. It works well for me, but I have been told a 15 to 20 c rating would be better.

I have no idea if lipos expire. I doubt it, that date is more than likely for reference.

The three things I do understand about my lipos is 1) dont short them out.2)dont puncture them.3)dont over discharge.

I have never had a problem with my batteries following those simple guidelines and feel very comfortable using them. Of coarse you will want to practice safe charging technics also.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Dont puncture them, woot im never going lipo!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodCrawlin
Dont puncture them, woot im never going lipo!

I keep lipos off my comp rigs for this matter. I use them in planes and scale vehicles where it is hard to hide a battery.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:53 PM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000
I run almost the same cell (1900mh) in my 2.2 set up with a hyperion and max esc,r2 tranny. It works well for me, but I have been told a 15 to 20 c rating would be better.

I have no idea if lipos expire. I doubt it, that date is more than likely for reference.

The three things I do understand about my lipos is 1) dont short them out.2)dont puncture them.3)dont over discharge.

I have never had a problem with my batteries following those simple guidelines and feel very comfortable using them. Of coarse you will want to practice safe charging technics also.
Thanks for the input hotwheels. My gut feeling was that 15 or 20 C was the right number but I didn't know much about it when I bought this battery. It's good tohear that yours works ok.
I read in another thread that JRH only got the Revolver to pull 3.5 amps in his crawler. That tells me a 21-25 amp continuous rating should be ok.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
I keep lipos off my comp rigs for this matter. I use them in planes and scale vehicles where it is hard to hide a battery.
Maybe an aluminum skidplate for the top of the battery?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Li-po's rule i ran them in my rig for a while untill it switched to Li-Moly
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 AM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
I read in another thread that JRH only got the Revolver to pull 3.5 amps in his crawler. That tells me a 21-25 amp continuous rating should be ok.

The meter I was using averaged the current over a bit of time. This decreases the amp draw shown, when in fact the peak currents can get to 50 amps pretty quick. If you batteries and wire will allow, I know the revolver can spike 70 or more amps on 6 cells.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Freak
Li-po's rule i ran them in my rig for a while untill it switched to Li-Moly
what is li-moly?
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Ok..... First of all,

Any of the real accidents with lipos, have been in the past when they were first introduced to the market. The same 1 or 2 storys keep geting re-told/exagurated/twisted to scare people.

What I call the "lipo police" are the people that will intentionally charge a lipo on a 50 amp car battery charger to watch it explode and tell people that they're dangerous because they can do this..... DUH. What idiot is going to charge his lipo on the same charger that he charges his car battery on.

Lipos will not catch fire randomly or even from a puncture!!!! We have stabbed knives through the center of these things and the worst thing to happen was a little poofing, and some smoke. We have also put a cell in a cup of water, it simply just fizzled. There was a shipment we recieved where 1 whole tray(30 cells) of loose cells shorted on eachother on the plane ride over, and it just melted a few parts of the plastic.

Don't let the "lipo police" discourage you about lipos. If you have a good charger, balancer, and a porcelean potting bowl, a basic understanding of electric RC and some common sense, then you have nothing to worry about.

Sorry..... but I have seeing people get scared away from lipos when there is no need to.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

read here read here to find out their 3000 Mah and work just as well my Li-po was only 2000 thats why i switced.
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

What are you trying to say Chris?????? That the internet can exagerate things, not in america my friend.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Well I have noticed that people like to exagerate the stories. Im not saying that there are no dangers to lipo's at all.... just that they're not as dangerous as people make them out to be
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Hey Grizz, I'm in the same boat. I have nearly the same cells and rating except they are 1320 mAH.

I was thinking of purchasing some .060 sheet lexan from the LHS and Shoe Gooing some lexan panels or shields on them for puncture resistance.

After reading Chris's post, I feel alot better about using them, but the lexan panels would be a little extra insurance.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote