Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ISDT ESC70 - new brushed crawler ESC with BT-programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2021, 05:41 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default ISDT ESC70 - new brushed crawler ESC with BT-programming

Hi,
could not find a thread to this new, cheap and super interesting crawler ESC in this forum?

Finally the ISDT ESC70 ESC is available, first one did already arrive in Germany (via Amazon).
Price is really good, a competitor for the Hobbywing Quicrun 1080.

Tons of options... programming via BT-app and smartphone!

I am super curious... did order one (as many in German rockcrawler forum). First reports soon.

There is even already a 15% off coupon code for the ESC70 on Banggood: BGBR360

https://youtu.be/Sf4HPtfPTHk

https://youtu.be/4ilLB4cHen8

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ISDT ESC70 - new brushed crawler ESC with BT-programming

Next time I’m going to purchase a HW1080 I’ll give one of these a try. Looks great for the price with nice specs. Thanks for sharing!
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:27 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
Next time I’m going to purchase a HW1080 I’ll give one of these a try. Looks great for the price with nice specs. Thanks for sharing!
There will be a lot of information soon, because many guys from German forum, including myself, ordered.

Also curious, if it is good, it is a bang for the buck.
However, still having some "spare 1080" sitting in my shelf - still wrapped in plastic ;)
So I did not need the ESC70, but super curious.

Walter
Old 12-17-2021, 05:57 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsneffe View Post
However, still having some "spare 1080" sitting in my shelf - still wrapped in plastic ;)
So I did not need the ESC70, but super curious.
Same situation here. I have a couple of spare 1080s as well. Lol
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The video shows drag brake not active drag brake. So it may not have active drag brake. Also the hold of a drag brake is not all that impressive of an achievement. Other components are pretty important and responsible for a good drag brake. All the esc needs to do for regular drag brake is short 2 wires through the fets when no input is detected. So as long as the correct fets are open you get maximum drag brake from the esc.

I am more concerned with the initial startup speed and power. That is what sets the 1080 apart from every other cheap esc IMO.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I am looking forward to a YouTube video if you are making one. I have subscribed. Great stuff so far, I loved the furitech videos with the charts.

Man I love comparison charts!

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 12-20-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:25 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Still a lot of bugs, but it could be awesome if ISDT will solve those problems with future updates.

Review:

https://youtu.be/ih66vFQTWQU

Walter
Old 01-09-2022, 11:01 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Francis reviewed one on RC Reviews. It looked promising so for the price I ordered one off Amazon. It should be here tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll try it in my SCX10 Deadbolt which still has the Axial esc in it. Most of my crawlers have HW 1080's in them.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

My ISDT ESC70 arrived today. It came with no connectors, but did have a short jumper cable to connect to the rx. I'll start out saying I'm not very impressed with the ESC70.

I I installed the ISD-Go app on my iPhone X, powered up the esc70 after I soldered a XT60 on the power leads. The 1st thing that came up was that a new firmware update was available. It was dated 12-31-2021 and was 3 version newer so I figured that was a good thing. Well after about 6 tries I finally got the update to download and install which took another 15-20 minutes. Had to shut the esc70 down and power it up again and it would then connect to the app. I go to check the setting and was getting errors because the tx hadn't been calibrated. I Hooked up my RadioLink to it and calibrated the tx. Now it wan't a motor. At this point I'm not really impressed so I didn't want to solder connectors to the leads. All I could. find was 10 settings. I tried to change it to crawler from On Road and the setting wouldn't save. Others I could change and save. It might be a nice esc if it worked as advertised, for me I'm not impressed and will be returning it. I'll pay the extra $ and buy a HW1080 that just work out of the box and not app or BT to mess with.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:13 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

ISDT responded to my review video, reporting that I bought a prerelease version that should not have been sold:

https://youtu.be/caqhXzkUWgc
Old 01-11-2022, 06:28 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

For the price they are asking , its probably worth to try ....that wireless gimmick though is as pointless as another hole in the head...how often do you setup your ESC, hmm??Once a year ?? If you in for a solid solution get a HW1080.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I had the same bluetooth woes with my early production hobbywing axe system. I don't know if newer hardware releases fixed it. But this is why I like a simple wired system.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:19 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I haven’t picked one up but that enormous switch kills me. If it is needed for programming, hopefully you can just unplug it and put in a jumper for standard running.

Graupner used to make ESCs where you could choose to run a switch or not simply by plugging or unplugging one (no soldering the switch leads together required), I’m surprised no other ESC manufacturers have adopted that feature.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:02 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I think the big button houses the BT module as well as the on off button. Can't say if it will work with the button unplugged.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:29 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

There are people that use gloves in winter, for once, there's a big button that suits.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:48 PM   #16

I asked on their facebook page if you can run without the switch. We'll see what they say.
Ddub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #17

No response yet, but I see in their FAQ something that implies that you can run it without the switch. The question is "If the switch module is damaged, how to calibrate the throttle stroke" (emphasis is mine)

*The throttle must be calibrated in strict accordance with the following sequence.
The switch module is not connected.
When first calibration/calibration after restoring factory settings, power up the ESC directly. When recalibration, power up the ESC after move throttle trigger to end position, when you hear “Beep” then return trigger to neutral position.
①Calibration trigger neutral position: Remain neutral position until hear single “Beep”.
②Throttle trigger to end position: Remain throttle position until hear 2 “Beep”s, then return to neutral position.
③Brake trigger to end position: Remain brake position until hear 3 “Beep”s, then return to neutral position.
④Calibration complete: After hear 2 “Beep”s, restart for final completion.
Ddub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Anyone had problems updating the firmware? the app always says "download failed"
cooper_xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:59 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper_xl View Post
Anyone had problems updating the firmware? the app always says "download failed"
I never had that issue (got my esc in May), but it looks like there was an app update in April that fixed an issue with it always trying to update firmware.

Mine never prompted about an update.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:20 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I never had that issue (got my esc in May), but it looks like there was an app update in April that fixed an issue with it always trying to update firmware.

Mine never prompted about an update.

I discovered what was the problem. I have a Huawei and they don't have acess to the Play Store or other Google services. Uninstalled the ISDT app and installed it through a Google emulator that is basically a virtual smartphone . Now it works better, ,not great...better

Aside the app bugs , is frustating having to define via app, if the lipo is 2 or 3s . If you connect the wrong battery, the ESC simply doesn't let the motor work
cooper_xl is offline   Reply With Quote

ISDT ESC70 - new brushed crawler ESC with BT-programming - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Night crawler ESC programming question... J.DUKE Electronics 8 05-12-2015 08:32 AM
Rooster Crawler ESC Programming baja4 Electronics 7 12-25-2011 10:43 AM
programming castle sidewinder w/out link for brushed neuro242 Electronics 10 09-13-2009 01:12 PM
Mamba Max ESC programming question for brushed motors gregrocks90046 Electronics 10 01-23-2007 11:34 PM