Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Another 945mg bites the dust!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
2006 2.2 National Champ

Exclamation Another 945mg bites the dust!

Well, now my other brand new digital 945mg died. Are digital servos more prone to problems? I haven't had any problems at all with the analog ones I've owned, had an analog 945mg for 3 years before it died. I've had 2 of these die on my within a couple weeks.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

Before the last event I bought 2 new servos, a 5645 for the front and a 645 for the rear. The rear one is just fine, and the digital front one now has no power at all.

Seems to me like the digitals die easier, but it's the first one I've bought.

BTW it sucks spending that much on a servo and only getting like 2 hours of time on it before it dies.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
Before the last event I bought 2 new servos, a 5645 for the front and a 645 for the rear. The rear one is just fine, and the digital front one now has no power at all.

Seems to me like the digitals die easier, but it's the first one I've bought.

BTW it sucks spending that much on a servo and only getting like 2 hours of time on it before it dies.
YES IT DOES!!!! The newest one I bought is analog, that makes 3 of these I've bought in the last 3 weeks. I think I'm going to stick with analog.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:31 PM   #4

Sorry to here that guys. I have been runnin my 5945mg for about two years with no problems mechanically. The only thing I keep breaking is the case. I'm on number three and once it was my fault (overtightening) But that darn beeping makes me go crazy!
BakedMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
2006 2.2 National Champ

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedMopar
Sorry to here that guys. I have been runnin my 5945mg for about two years with no problems mechanically. The only thing I keep breaking is the case. I'm on number three and once it was my fault (overtightening) But that darn beeping makes me go crazy!
Is yours digital or analog?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
R.I.P. Chip

;) if they have a 5 in front of them they are digital. 645 not digital, 5645 digital, 945 not digital, 5945 digital. At least that is my understanding.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
;) if they have a 5 in front of them they are digital. 645 not digital, 5645 digital, 945 not digital, 5945 digital. At least that is my understanding.
Cool, I was wondering about that.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:49 PM   #8

Yep!
BakedMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

What radio are you guys running that keep burning them up?
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:07 PM   #10
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler
What radio are you guys running that keep burning them up?
Modded TQ-3 from the crawler store and a Super Rooster, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:37 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
but that shouldn't have anything to do with it.
i've heard this before and my take on it's posibility on being the cause is you run these servos with no saver,and the arm used the rod end is set to far out so that the servo cannot turn to it's end so with the tq3 when you press the switch to turn the rear wheels the servo can't take a full swing and bing the servo motor.as if you used a saver the saver would alow the servo to go to it's end and not bind and over heat it's motor.any opinions on my thought on this is welcome.this is what i think happens in this senarial
SPEED_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #12
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED_RACER
i've heard this before and my take on it's posibility on being the cause is you run these servos with no saver,and the arm used the rod end is set to far out so that the servo cannot turn to it's end so with the tq3 when you press the switch to turn the rear wheels the servo can't take a full swing and bing the servo motor.as if you used a saver the saver would alow the servo to go to it's end and not bind and over heat it's motor.any opinions on my thought on this is welcome.this is what i think happens in this senarial
I run servo savers front and rear, the servo that died (digital) was hotter than the other (analog). I have run analog 945mg's for years, with a similar set-up, without any problems. That's why I'm confused. :?
Old 02-26-2005, 08:01 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

thats strange.as for my opinion i was basing it on alot of members here like to run no servo saver and didn't know you where using them.i'm not impressed with hi tec my self.i ran the 5945mg and wasn't impressed with it from the beginning.wasn't to bad but i always thought it should've been better.then i got my blue birds and tried them and they put the 5945mg to shame.turned the wheels faster and from end to end with no problem.some thing the 5945mg never really did that good.
SPEED_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:07 PM   #14
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED_RACER
thats strange.as for my opinion i was basing it on alot of members here like to run no servo saver and didn't know you where using them.i'm not impressed with hi tec my self.i ran the 5945mg and wasn't impressed with it from the beginning.wasn't to bad but i always thought it should've been better.then i got my blue birds and tried them and they put the 5945mg to shame.turned the wheels faster and from end to end with no problem.some thing the 5945mg never really did that good.
Do you run an rx pack? That's kinda why I bought these they are fairly strong, a small case, and I can run them off my SR's BEC. I REALLY don't want to mess with another battery pack.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:20 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Ok, first off the radios that you and everyone else run(TQ3) does not have epa. The stock traxxas servos do not turn as far from the factory as the hitec does. So, traxxas has tuned there radios to have more servo action. When you put a aftermarket servo in the truck that turns further than a stock traxxas, it over powers it as far as the travel goes. The reason you are burning the digital up is because they are much more sensitive to heat than the analog servos are just because of them being digital. I had the same problem when I bought my Revo. I put a hitec 5945 on the steering. It wouldnt turn lock to lock. When I changed to my XS3, I had more than I needed but I could tune it out. Thats why some people(Like me) dont like the 4WD radio...I think thats what it is called. That radio doesn't have EPA. You end up having to spend over $150 to get a radio that has the epa.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:23 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
Do you run an rx pack? That's kinda why I bought these they are fairly strong, a small case, and I can run them off my SR's BEC. I REALLY don't want to mess with another battery pack.

Does your truck not glitch bad with 2 hitorque servos? I have a Gecko and a TLT with duel servos. I have to run a rx pack on both of them or they will glitch every time.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:28 PM   #17
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Ok, first off the radios that you and everyone else run(TQ3) does not have epa. The stock traxxas servos do not turn as far from the factory as the hitec does. So, traxxas has tuned there radios to have more servo action. When you put a aftermarket servo in the truck that turns further than a stock traxxas, it over powers it as far as the travel goes. The reason you are burning the digital up is because they are much more sensitive to heat than the analog servos are just because of them being digital. I had the same problem when I bought my Revo. I put a hitec 5945 on the steering. It wouldnt turn lock to lock. When I changed to my XS3, I had more than I needed but I could tune it out. Thats why some people(Like me) dont like the 4WD radio...I think thats what it is called. That radio doesn't have EPA. You end up having to spend over $150 to get a radio that has the epa.
Cool, thanks for the explanation. Maybe if I mount my servo tie rod link end closer to servo output shaft, so it has less throw? I'm sticking with analogs from now on! I'm going to ask Hi-tec if they can fix/replace these 2 bad digitals with analog guts, I have NO idea if that's possible.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:32 PM   #18
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Does your truck not glitch bad with 2 hitorque servos? I have a Gecko and a TLT with duel servos. I have to run a rx pack on both of them or they will glitch every time.
Not really I run a single lathe motor. Once in awhile a get a small/quick one, but it is pretty rare.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:39 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
Not really I run a single lathe motor. Once in awhile a get a small/quick one, but it is pretty rare.
Oh, ok. I cant run my tlt without a pack but I dont run a SR on it.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:23 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Maybe instead of a simple three way switch on a TQ3, a momentary hold (or whatever it's called) one would work better. That way, you only push it to turn when you need it, but I don't think it would have the ability to turn more or less depending on how far you push the switch lever.
dabid is offline   Reply With Quote