Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Radiolink RC6GS V2 and TRX4 diff locker config

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2022, 04:21 AM   #1

Default Radiolink RC6GS V2 and TRX4 diff locker config

Has anyone been able to set one of the 3-way switches on the RC6GS to work like stock TQI radio? I have only gotten close, hard part seems to be getting the middle position of the switch to move servo 100%, I can get to about 80%, not enough to lock the diff. Can't get middle position to start at 0% for other diff. Has anyone gotten the 3-way switch to act like 2-way switch, skip the middle position all together?
Does my question even make sense? I asked customer service, but they just quote the manual back to me.
Thanks.
BrainBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2022, 02:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Radiolink RC6GS V2 and TRX4 diff locker config

I have not tried as I dont have a TRX to try on.
However you can go into the menu and change how the switch operates, ie is it a momentary contact, on off, or other type control option like 2 way or 3 way operations. Its a pretty capable radio so I have to presume you can, just need to play with the channel settings and switch function to make it work as needed.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Why would you want it to work like the stock radio, when you can have individual control of the diffs?
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:40 AM   #4

I've spent hours in the menu changing switch modes, sub-trim, EPA, mix mode percentages. Can't find the right combinations, hoping someone has been successful and has the magic combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Why would you want it to work like the stock radio, when you can have individual control of the diffs?
Why use two switches when one should work, have other uses for the other switch.

Last edited by BrainBucket; 01-31-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:13 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I would think it would require mixing 2 aux chnls together to operate the 2 servos independently. then having the master servo tied to the 3way switch. so the switch will be both out of lock on one position, then one axle locks on middle position, and other on 3rd. Maybe able to use one of the thumb buttons as well and use a 3 step aux setup and get the same results. But Im thinking you'd have to mix to channels then assign to a aux, and then setup the right control on that aux chnl.

just headbashing on it. Don't have a TRX myself to try it out on.
Have you checked youtube? Maybe search Radiolink TRX4
Old 01-31-2022, 03:21 PM   #6

Great tip on search, I did a lot of Googling, but didn't think to keep it that simple.

Was able to program SwB to front diff,
\ | / \ is unlocked, | is locked, and / is locked
and SwC programed to rear diff,
\ | / \ is unlocked, | is unlocked, and / is locked.
So theoretically combining the two should be the same as the TQI, NOT.
So my problem, I think is in the PMmix.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:20 PM   #7

Smile Re: Radiolink RC6GS V2 and TRX4 diff locker config

I believe I have figured it out! I needed to assign Chnl 5 to a Null Switch. I will post in detail after I fine tune it. Might be a couple days, but check back.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainBucket View Post
I believe I have figured it out! I needed to assign Chnl 5 to a Null Switch. I will post in detail after I fine tune it. Might be a couple days, but check back.
That is what I was also wondering, if the slave chnl needs to be assigned as well. I know this radio has huge ability and figured it could be done, just have not tried to set one up, but have been mulling it over in the back of my head for the last 24 hours.

Interested in seeing what you did.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:33 PM   #9

I started by having both servos installed and adjusted to work with TQI radio, and TRX4 locking diffs. This is on my scratch build, not a store bought kit or vehicle. If you have one of the latter then your probably already installed and adjusted to work. I marked both endpoints on the servos themselves for a staring reference. I started with both in unlocked position.

Disconect the cable keeper, and the cable from the horn!

You do not want to strip the cheap plastic gears. Make sure you hold the servo arm while tightening. If you do not hold arm, there is a good possibility you will strip the gear. Thank you for your attention.

Here are the settings. I am assuming your familiar with RC6GS V2 Menu.

Menu #17 AUX-CH
CH4 : SwB
CH5 : NULL

#11 SUB-TRIM
CH4 : 0 (Changed both to 0)(02-01-22)
CH5 : 0

#3 EPA
CH4 : 120% 0%
CH5 : 0% 120%

#12 REVERSE
CH4 : REV
CH5 : NORM

#15 PMIX01 or 02
MXMD : ON
UP : +100% MST : CH4
DOWN : +100% SLV : CH5

Now from here I had to turn the rear servo horn to my previous marked location. On both I had to shorten the cable half a dozen turns.
Just be careful not to strip the gears. This is my first 'How to" Any questions just ask.
Listen to your servos, if they continue to buzz after switch manipulation change settings back, you don't want to burn up your servos!!
>>> After buttoning up my rig, diffs wouldn't lock completely.. Had to adjust SUB-TRIM to 0 (zero) on both CH4 and CH5.
Remember, this is not an official setup, it is only what worked for me. You may need to do a few adjustments to make this work for you also.

Last edited by BrainBucket; 02-01-2022 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Further adjustment of my settings version 1.2.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:28 AM   #10

I plan to walk through my posted setting on my out-of-the-box TRX4 next, I will post my findings.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #11

OK, I have now tested on my TRX4 Defender model.
I started out making sure both servos were working properly, locking and unlocking the Diffs.
Then I marked the endpoints on the servos themselves for reference.
Then disconnected the battery on the vehicle and removed the cables from the servo horn, using an open 4.5 mm wrench. Then removed the cables from the servo bracket, put them out of my way.

Next I turned on just the radio transmitter, vehicle battery still unplugged, made the setting changes in the exact order listed in previous post, turned off transmitter plugged battery back in, turned on transmitter, then the ESC. Tested the switch, worked fine, but needed to turn both servo horns 3 notches clockwise so they would match up with the reference marks made earlier.

Put everything back together and bench tested, working great.
Now I just need to take them out and field test.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:31 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
I started by having both servos installed and adjusted to work with TQI radio, and TRX4 locking diffs. This is on my scratch build, not a store bought kit or vehicle. If you have one of the latter then your probably already installed and adjusted to work. I marked both endpoints on the servos themselves for a staring reference. I started with both in unlocked position.

Disconect the cable keeper, and the cable from the horn!

You do not want to strip the cheap plastic gears. Make sure you hold the servo arm while tightening. If you do not hold arm, there is a good possibility you will strip the gear. Thank you for your attention.

Here are the settings. I am assuming your familiar with RC6GS V2 Menu.

Menu #17 AUX-CH
CH4 : SwB
CH5 : NULL

#11 SUB-TRIM
CH4 : 0 (Changed both to 0)(02-01-22)
CH5 : 0

#3 EPA
CH4 : 120% 0%
CH5 : 0% 120%

#12 REVERSE
CH4 : REV
CH5 : NORM

#15 PMIX01 or 02
MXMD : ON
UP : +100% MST : CH4
DOWN : +100% SLV : CH5

Now from here I had to turn the rear servo horn to my previous marked location. On both I had to shorten the cable half a dozen turns.
Just be careful not to strip the gears. This is my first 'How to" Any questions just ask.
Listen to your servos, if they continue to buzz after switch manipulation change settings back, you don't want to burn up your servos!!
>>> After buttoning up my rig, diffs wouldn't lock completely.. Had to adjust SUB-TRIM to 0 (zero) on both CH4 and CH5.
Remember, this is not an official setup, it is only what worked for me. You may need to do a few adjustments to make this work for you also.

Good write up. this would also work with something like a 2 speed and a DIG unit, or the new VFD Tranny.

My only thoughts are seeing as a channel is being slaved is it worth it over just setting up each channel to work? Is the main goal you're doing is to use one toggle switch for both diffs I take it?
Old 02-01-2022, 08:10 PM   #13

Yes, want to work the other into possibly turning a two speed tranny and separate two speed transfer case into two low crawling gears with an overdrive for trails. Been tossing the idea around, but haven't found the right gear ratios yet. But having both Diffs on same switch is just easier for my kid, it's his truck. Easier for me as well.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:30 PM   #14

OK, I have road tested both vehicles and they both performed excellent. IMO this is a good workable solution for programming the rc6gs v2 3-way switch to work just as it does on stock TQI system for the TRX4.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
OK, I have road tested both vehicles and they both performed excellent. IMO this is a good workable solution for programming the rc6gs v2 3-way switch to work just as it does on stock TQI system for the TRX4.

I tried wiring it like this but couldn't get it to work. Congrats on finding a way for it to work!

Does there other toggle switch still function as an individual one or is the channel unuseable?
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:41 PM   #16

Yes this frees up the other switch because of using a Null switch for channel 5, but you are still using both channels, only one switch. What are you working with? I'm sure we can make something work for you.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:11 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yes this frees up the other switch because of using a Null switch for channel 5, but you are still using both channels, only one switch. What are you working with? I'm sure we can make something work for you.
I wanted to use the extra toggle switch as a winch toggle, but having both lockers being sent to one still makes the extra toggle unuseable.

I was trying to come up with a way to have both servos be powered from a y splitter, but that would require a custom mount and way too much head scratching for my liking. Right now I'm running 1 toggle as a locker and another on the knob switch, with a winch being operated with the second toggle.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:54 PM   #18

So on the receiver you have ch1. steering, 2. ESC, 3. two speed tranny, 4. front diff locker, 5. rear diff locker, and ch 6. is the winch?
Old 02-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So on the receiver you have ch1. steering, 2. ESC, 3. two speed tranny, 4. front diff locker, 5. rear diff locker, and ch 6. is the winch?
Yep, that seems about right. Not sure about the exact order that it's plugged in because I think I switch around some of the switches and channels.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #20

If they are using those channels you should be able to use switch SwC (three way toggle) for channel 6 and have it control the winch, if you have already set up the diffs to switch SwB as described above.

Tags
channel mix, rc6gs, trx4 diffs

Radiolink RC6GS V2 and TRX4 diff locker config - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radiolink RC6GS and diff locker config SimoniX Traxxas TRX-4 4 02-01-2022 08:53 AM
RadioLink has released a Version 2 of the RC6GS IronOKie Electronics 12 08-19-2020 01:16 PM
Flysky FS-GT5 vs Radiolink RC6GS SF RC24 Electronics 11 07-02-2020 05:36 PM
AX10 Diff Locker working on Wheely King Diff rcpaintworks HPI Wheely King 6 08-18-2007 09:13 AM