Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Best esc for outrunners using 4s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Best esc for outrunners using 4s?

Like the title says, im looking to run a outrunner on 4s. I don’t necessarily need drag brake but i need forward and reverse. One thing is though, it cannot have an aluminum case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2022, 01:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Best esc for outrunners using 4s?

These guys seem to have it mostly figured out: Silent outrunner and ESC for less then $60

Sounds like basically the same thing as what Holmes is doing with their Crawlmaster Mini ESC https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...-esc-1242.html ... just much cheaper and more user friendly. I'm still waiting for someone to just build/program them to be rtr (from the sounds of it, the HH version wasn't quite ready for prime time, at least not on 4s) so I can hit the easy button.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:41 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to just build/program them to be rtr (from the sounds of it, the HH version wasn't quite ready for prime time, at least not on 4s) so I can hit the easy button.
I've got a programmer on the way from HH to hopefully get this combo updated and running on 4s... I'll keep you posted.
Attached Images

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
These guys seem to have it mostly figured out: Silent outrunner and ESC for less then $60

Sounds like basically the same thing as what Holmes is doing with their Crawlmaster Mini ESC https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...-esc-1242.html ... just much cheaper and more user friendly. I'm still waiting for someone to just build/program them to be rtr (from the sounds of it, the HH version wasn't quite ready for prime time, at least not on 4s) so I can hit the easy button.
I'm sure that they aren't the same esc. If you look that the Holmes vs the wraith32 they don't look the same. I have been wanting to try one of the wraith esc's but I don't know computers that well and have avoided trying it.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The wrath32 and crawlmaster are different. Im loonking for something thats actually going to last on 4s. It will be in a super light rig, but the binds and lines i get into will prove that an esc cant last. Burned up a few br minis in my time on 4s with some 40t skewed 3 slots..

Old 02-14-2022, 11:32 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Despite my poor wording, I wasn't suggesting they were exactly the same, just that they have very similar function. I recall people using several models of cheap esc's (along the lines of the wraith32) of different amp ratings and still programming them in the same manner. All of that is out of my wheelhouse, but it seems that an electronically minded individual could gather enough info from the thread I linked to get on the right path to acheiving CM9000's goals (which sounds like more than a few of us have the same goal.)

Last edited by TheLetterJ; 02-14-2022 at 11:34 PM.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

ive been using the chinese 120 amp waterproof escs for my outrunners the bec wont hang with 4s but with a external bec they work fine on 4s but the start up leaves alittle to be desired
when run side by side with a castle mmx my only complaint is the slight coging at start up and extreme low gearing dosent.seem to help vary much although its still not bad enuff to make me want to swap the castle back in
probably not the best esc for pure crawling but work good in go fast rigs like a yeti i also have one going on 5 years now in my redcat blackout

https://www.ebay.com/itm/120A-Brushl...-127632-2357-0

Last edited by ferp420; 02-15-2022 at 06:26 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:44 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Despite my poor wording, I wasn't suggesting they were exactly the same, just that they have very similar function. I recall people using several models of cheap esc's (along the lines of the wraith32) of different amp ratings and still programming them in the same manner. All of that is out of my wheelhouse, but it seems that an electronically minded individual could gather enough info from the thread I linked to get on the right path to acheiving CM9000's goals (which sounds like more than a few of us have the same goal.)
i was just confirming druxus reply as to that they are different.

thanks to ferp, i may have found a good cheap esc. EDIT: that esc in the link is only rated for 3s.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:49 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post

thanks to ferp, i may have found a good cheap esc. EDIT: that esc in the link is only rated for 3s.
what esc is it? have been wanting to do dual 4s esc in a blizzard but no luck
ben h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:55 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben h View Post
what esc is it? have been wanting to do dual 4s esc in a blizzard but no luck
https://www.ebay.com/itm/120A-Brushl...-127632-2357-0

this esc that he posted a link to is only 2-3s lipo.

What motors are you planning on running on 4s?
Old 02-15-2022, 09:14 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

in other links it says 4s i run mine on 4s in my yeti and on my 1/6 scale nylint with a hh outrunner i think there specs are off the 120a is 4s capable

heres the same esc they offer them in 45-120 amp versions and the 120a version says 4s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...-127632-2357-0

i think the specs in the first link were for a lower amp rated esc cause thats the first time ive seen them rated for 3s
maybe they lowered the rating cause the bec cant handle 4s i dont know just guessin

Last edited by ferp420; 02-15-2022 at 09:18 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:14 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Flier esc's on ebay. Seller is rmamba. Up to 500A, otherwise xclass quad copter esc's, if they run blheli they can be programed for reverse.

Many still need external bec.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:35 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
I've got a programmer on the way from HH to hopefully get this combo updated and running on 4s... I'll keep you posted.
At this point that ESC is supposed to be ok for 4s on an out runner up to 1400KV I believe.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Like the title says, im looking to run a outrunner on 4s. I don’t necessarily need drag brake but i need forward and reverse. One thing is though, it cannot have an aluminum case.

I have a friend that has d-cased a MambaX.

Depending on the outrunner HH has something.

"Recommended 1400kv limit for 4s use until program software allows higher limits

HOLMES HOBBIES CRAWLMASTER MINI ESC RTR, but out f stock.

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...-esc-1242.html
Old 02-15-2022, 01:56 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
At this point that ESC is supposed to be ok for 4s on an out runner up to 1400KV I believe.
Yeah, but a 1400kv motor would only be useful to me on 6s. Hopefully updating the firmware will make 4s doable with my motor.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:09 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yeah, but a 1400kv motor would only be useful to me on 6s. Hopefully updating the firmware will make 4s doable with my motor.
I have been running my crawlmaster mini on 4s with 2040kv motor for quite some time now since upgrade the firmware to v1.2. No problem at all. I've been using arduino nano to connect to my ESC to change the settings or upgrade the firmware.

Last edited by Yudi13; 02-15-2022 at 08:12 PM.
Yudi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:17 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yudi13 View Post
I have been running my crawlmaster mini on 4s with 2040kv motor for quite some time now since upgrade the firmware to v1.2. No problem at all. I've been using arduino nano to connect to my ESC to change the settings or upgrade the firmware.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 02-15-2022, 10:54 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I've also been running a Crawlmaster Mini V1 on 4S and a 2500kv revolver with no issues. It was too fast even with a 66T spur and 9T pinion so I dropped in a 1000kv Revolver.

I'm not sure they're gonna be selling these going forward, John has been talking about the V2 already and hinted at the V1's being better suited to a normal 'in runner' motor as they put less of a load on them.
I'd recommend running a BEC or direct power servo though. The tiny BEC they provided is only able to power the receiver.

Back to the original question, I think the SW4 probably handles a outrunner the best out of the ESCs I've tried (Crawlmaster Mini, Mamba X, SW4) but its 3S max. I think it has a better overall smoothness at all rpms. Its also annoyingly loud if that matters to you. The Mamba X isn't too much different though so that might be a good choice.

The Crawlmaster Mini is nice because its quiet but Its a sacrifice for sure. At low RPM and low load it can cog and stutter (or as someone explained to me 'step'). the overall throttle curve feel is odd, theres a crossover point at low RPMs where it kicks into a different more normal throttle curve/control but as it crosses over it can be a little rough. Anyway I love the lack of noise but its not the best in terms of pure performance.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-15-2022 at 11:02 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:34 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have the Revolver 1400 V2 snubs on my C1 and C2 on 3s and they work great for me. Both are at or under 6lbs. SW4s

I have the 1800 V3 snub on my C3 ( just over 7 1/4lbs) with a MambaX on 4s and really like it.

I tried a Copperhead in hopes it would work out. I have had 2 Copperheads (one was a warranty replacement) and they just stall. No good for me.

I am now looking at that HH ESC you mentioned. I will need a BEC for and was trying to avoid the extra wiring. It is out of stock right now.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:55 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
in other links it says 4s i run mine on 4s in my yeti and on my 1/6 scale nylint with a hh outrunner i think there specs are off the 120a is 4s capable

heres the same esc they offer them in 45-120 amp versions and the 120a version says 4s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...-127632-2357-0

i think the specs in the first link were for a lower amp rated esc cause thats the first time ive seen them rated for 3s
maybe they lowered the rating cause the bec cant handle 4s i dont know just guessin
sweet, i may give the 80a esc's a go. is the start up really bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Flier esc's on ebay. Seller is rmamba. Up to 500A, otherwise xclass quad copter esc's, if they run blheli they can be programed for reverse.

Many still need external bec.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
i have no use for a bec as all my servos are direct power. im still on the fence about programming a esc having to solder things and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I've also been running a Crawlmaster Mini V1 on 4S and a 2500kv revolver with no issues. It was too fast even with a 66T spur and 9T pinion so I dropped in a 1000kv Revolver.

I'm not sure they're gonna be selling these going forward, John has been talking about the V2 already and hinted at the V1's being better suited to a normal 'in runner' motor as they put less of a load on them.
I'd recommend running a BEC or direct power servo though. The tiny BEC they provided is only able to power the receiver.

Back to the original question, I think the SW4 probably handles a outrunner the best out of the ESCs I've tried (Crawlmaster Mini, Mamba X, SW4) but its 3S max. I think it has a better overall smoothness at all rpms. Its also annoyingly loud if that matters to you. The Mamba X isn't too much different though so that might be a good choice.

The Crawlmaster Mini is nice because its quiet but Its a sacrifice for sure. At low RPM and low load it can cog and stutter (or as someone explained to me 'step'). the overall throttle curve feel is odd, theres a crossover point at low RPMs where it kicks into a different more normal throttle curve/control but as it crosses over it can be a little rough. Anyway I love the lack of noise but its not the best in terms of pure performance.
crawlmaster minis are out of question here untill holmes gets em right along the side of the performance as a well tuned blheli based esc. going back to the sw4... yes its only 3s max, but it may be a viable option for my sub 3 lb 2.2 moa project. im not sure yet. my lo pro servo puts out 900 oz per inch on 4s. dropping down in power might be a sacrifice i can make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
I have the Revolver 1400 V2 snubs on my C1 and C2 on 3s and they work great for me. Both are at or under 6lbs. SW4s

I have the 1800 V3 snub on my C3 ( just over 7 1/4lbs) with a MambaX on 4s and really like it.

I tried a Copperhead in hopes it would work out. I have had 2 Copperheads (one was a warranty replacement) and they just stall. No good for me.

I am now looking at that HH ESC you mentioned. I will need a BEC for and was trying to avoid the extra wiring. It is out of stock right now.
its a bummer the copperheads dont work out. otherwise if they did, i wouldnt have made this thread. :/

Best esc for outrunners using 4s? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check these outrunners out? Frank211 Electronics 16 04-27-2020 12:40 PM
Outrunners monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 8 03-31-2013 06:11 PM
Outrunners? Jeepkid Axial XR10 28 10-12-2010 03:09 PM
High KV outrunners? theslowguy Electronics 6 12-04-2009 03:26 PM