Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes BR Mini with Direct-power servos - BEC still needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2022, 09:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Holmes BR Mini with Direct-power servos - BEC still needed?

I am building a 4WS Capra and will be using direct-power servos for both the Front and Rear steering axles. I will be using a Reefs 99Micro for the dig servo. My motor will be a Holmes Crawlmaster Magnum Stubby 13T. I just bought a Holmes BR Mini ESC for this rig. I think this rig will come in around 7lb or so. I don't comp, this rig will get used for 60-90 minute technical crawling sessions covering minimal distance. The only things drawing power through the ESC's 7.4V internal BEC will be the Reefs 99Micro dig servo, Spektrum SR515 receiver, and occasionally the stock LED light bar. Do you think I can get away without having to run an external BEC?
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2022, 10:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Holmes BR Mini with Direct-power servos - BEC still needed?

No, you shouldn't need an external BEC for direct powered servos. They are drawing power from the battery and only the signal from the receiver.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yes you should power that stuff with an external bec. There is a good chance even those mini servos will kill the bec in the esc.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Yes you should power that stuff with an external bec. There is a good chance even those mini servos will kill the bec in the esc.

Thanks. That's kind of what I was expecting even though the specs on Reef's site for the 99Micro say "No BEC required". I prefer to play it safe, and will install an external BEC to power the dig servo and lights.

Other than that, do you think I'm generally safe running the BR Mini in this application? I know the intended use for this ESC is lighter comp rigs running short periods of time. My Capra isn't really a trail rig per se, but it will definitely see longer run times than a typical comp rig would during a competition. I really only got the BR Mini because I have a full-size BR-XL in my other Capra and I love it, but those are out of stock at the moment. Figured I'd take a chance on the BR-Mini.

Last edited by boldfin; 02-14-2022 at 07:24 PM.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You just need to watch the temperature. If it gets hot gear down or get lower kv motors. As long as it's not to hot your fine. I would only use the bec in that esc to power a reciever because its rated for half an amp. If you have any 3wire servo plugged in the the reciever. Then power the reciever with a bec because the reciever then forwards the power to the 3wire servo.

Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Holmes BR Mini with Direct-power servos - BEC still needed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Direct power mini servo winch MOguy Electronics 17 08-26-2021 06:14 AM
PSA from Holmes Hobbies Regarding Direct Powered Servos Benp Electronics 6 10-15-2020 02:15 PM
BEC and 4ws dual servos, intermittent power chalmene Electronics 14 08-28-2016 03:10 PM
dual steering servos, a cc bec, a y-harness, and 4 cells of lipo power… mudholestomper Electronics 3 10-23-2015 08:49 AM
voltage regulator or BEC needed with 2s lipo & 2 servos? krush groove Electronics 2 03-06-2008 01:59 AM