Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BEC possibly dumb ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default BEC possibly dumb ?

Ok have a castle external BEC, 2.0 to be exact.

I'm trying to figure out if the SIGNAL WIRE to/from the RX has to be connected. Kind of a pain in the rear having it take up and entire channel.

My plan is to remove that pin from the BEC plug, and put the signal pin from my ESC in its place.

My servo alone pulls 4amps, plus winch, and lights. ESC rated for 6, being a brand new brushless kit that cost me $250 I'm not keen on smoking the ESC. Did that to a 1080 already without having the winch.

Just trying to figure out options as I may want to use my 5th channel at some point (thinking a micro servo that will turn my gopro session on and off but that's an entirely different subject)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: BEC possibly dumb ?

People will be better able to help you if you state what the BEC is to be used for...as in, *what* is it going to be powering?

I'm going to take a guess, and assume that it is to power the servo. If so, I would highly recommend getting the Holmes Hobbies receiver bypass harness. With this, you don't need to disconnect any wires, as it "routes" the wires to their correct "connections", via it's 3 plugs - one you plug the servo into, gets plugged into the Rx (providing the 'signal' to the servo), and the third you plug the BEC into, providing 'power' to the servo.

Another benefit of using the Holmes Hobbies receiver bypass harness of that it allows you to power the servo (and an "always on" accessory) at one voltage (Castle BEC voltage), while powering other items at a different voltage (ESCs BEC, via Rx). This is the easiest, and most "cool proof" way of going about it.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:06 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
People will be better able to help you if you state what the BEC is to be used for...as in, *what* is it going to be powering?

I'm going to take a guess, and assume that it is to power the servo. If so, I would highly recommend getting the Holmes Hobbies receiver bypass harness. With this, you don't need to disconnect any wires, as it "routes" the wires to their correct "connections", via it's 3 plugs - one you plug the servo into, gets plugged into the Rx (providing the 'signal' to the servo), and the third you plug the BEC into, providing 'power' to the servo.

Another benefit of using the Holmes Hobbies receiver bypass harness of that it allows you to power the servo (and an "always on" accessory) at one voltage (Castle BEC voltage), while powering other items at a different voltage (ESCs BEC, via Rx). This is the easiest, and most "cool proof" way of going about it.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
This here is great advice. The Holmes adapter is cheap, and once you see it the wiring makes much more sense.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:49 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Appreciate it guys.

Re-wiring connectors for me is gravy. I actually have everything to make my own wiring with servo and jst connectors. Allows me to make my own harness for lights and other accessories at wire lengths I want instead of zip tied coils everywhere. I'm and automotive tech by trade so 3 pin rc connectors are nothing to deal with lol.

I make my own light set ups as well so they are optimized for exact voltage my system is set up for.

My set up "currently" (how I had it before starting to redo the mess this week). Holmes 21t trial master sport on 1080

BEC powers everything except "daytime running lights" which was 2 amber leds, that was plugged directly to the ESC. Easy way to make sure it was turned on.

So BEC was taking care of servo, RX and rest of the lights.

Now, I'm adding RC4WD winch controller

The thing I'm trying to figure out which it sounds like the RX bypass you guys recommend does, is replace the servo signal wire from the BEC with the signal wire of the servo and I'm assuming direct powers the servo itself leaving the RX to be powered by the ESC.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:36 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Appreciate it guys.

The thing I'm trying to figure out which it sounds like the RX bypass you guys recommend does, is replace the servo signal wire from the BEC with the signal wire of the servo and I'm assuming direct powers the servo itself leaving the RX to be powered by the ESC.

This sounds right. In my case, I'm only using the BEC to power the servo at higher voltage than the receiver wants. The ESC alone powers the receiver, so I don't connect the BEC's 3-pin with the signal wire to the receiver at all. That will save you using a channel for the BEC. Admittedly, your setup is much more in-depth, but the result should be the same if you allow the ESC to be what powers the receiver and your amber lights. There is a dual-bypass adapter as well that would power a secondary device from the BEC that also gets signal from the receiver. Here's a diagram of how it's setup; if you have more than 2 devices it should be pretty straight-forward to wire up a third if needed. I'm probably talking way below your level, haha, but I hope this helps.

Name:  rx-bypass-dual-servo-color.png
Views: 193
Size:  13.7 KB
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:33 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
This sounds right. In my case, I'm only using the BEC to power the servo at higher voltage than the receiver wants. The ESC alone powers the receiver, so I don't connect the BEC's 3-pin with the signal wire to the receiver at all. That will save you using a channel for the BEC. Admittedly, your setup is much more in-depth, but the result should be the same if you allow the ESC to be what powers the receiver and your amber lights. There is a dual-bypass adapter as well that would power a secondary device from the BEC that also gets signal from the receiver. Here's a diagram of how it's setup; if you have more than 2 devices it should be pretty straight-forward to wire up a third if needed. I'm probably talking way below your level, haha, but I hope this helps.

Attachment 400119
Perfect, thank you.

Ya my set up is "complex" in a partial sense. I can simply make what companies sell in regards to wiring adapters, led light kits(basic 5 and 3mm leds, not PCB systems like in light bars). Partially because the kits and tool to crimp is cheap on amazon lol. Thing is I have driving lights which are easy enough, but up until this week going brushless I had reverse lights too. Plus normal head lights, tail lights and so on. I have to buy a controller now to have reverse lights but I'll gain brake lights too which will be sweet. Along with finally installing my winch that I've had since January lol.

Pics to how some of the light set up. New body is getting a set of roof lights as well.

Last edited by tigris99; 04-28-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For the most part, correct, except that the bypass harness isn't "direct power"...it still requires the external BEC. The advantage of using the bypass harness (as opposed to rewiring, as you proposed) is that it allows a person to power multiple devices (servo, winch on lights, etc) at two different voltages. Plus, something you seem to be forgetting is that, no matter which route you take (rewiring, or bypass harness), between the ESC & servo, you still NEED to use two ports (Ch1 & Ch2) on the Rx, so you're not going to "gain" a usable channel.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:20 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
For the most part, correct, except that the bypass harness isn't "direct power"...it still requires the external BEC. The advantage of using the bypass harness (as opposed to rewiring, as you proposed) is that it allows a person to power multiple devices (servo, winch on lights, etc) at two different voltages. Plus, something you seem to be forgetting is that, no matter which route you take (rewiring, or bypass harness), between the ESC & servo, you still NEED to use two ports (Ch1 & Ch2) on the Rx, so you're not going to "gain" a usable channel.

Actually confusing there must be poor wording on my part.

First ya, bypass direct powers from bec to servo, got that part.

I looked up the holmes adapter so I could see if that adapter answered my question. Which it does almost exactly what I was wondering if I could do. Replace the BEC signal wire with the servo or other signal. Only variable if if I want to run the RX off the BEC as well.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:28 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Actually confusing there must be poor wording on my part.

First ya, bypass direct powers from bec to servo, got that part.

I looked up the holmes adapter so I could see if that adapter answered my question. Which it does almost exactly what I was wondering if I could do. Replace the BEC signal wire with the servo or other signal. Only variable if if I want to run the RX off the BEC as well.

That...and, you don't have to cut/disconnect any wires. If you cut wires, and then (at some point) decide to move that item (ESC, servo, etc) to another vehicle, you've got a "problem". The bypass harness saves you from such a "problem".

Old 04-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Ya very true. That's why when I was brushed through last weekend I made adapters. Wasn't sure what my plan was. But looks tacky on a scale build. Why I'm shortening wires (and just doing new connector ends) and such now. Clean it all up partially because it's a Knightrunner, fender wells and adding the interior make space a premium, so has to be extremely clean and minimal wires.

Most of that mess I just hooked up for testing last night and so I can assign channels.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:49 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Just pull the red wire from both the esc leads if your not using them. Er from the throttle one. I guess. I think the signal on the bec is strictly for programming so it can be pulled too.

So yes you should be fine dropping the esc aux signal between the ground and power of the bec...

Wait there is no signal on the output of the bec is there? I haven't used one in a while. But can be clipped after bec voltage is programed I would assume.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

BEC possibly dumb ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumb question possibly Deathwish317 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 8 05-25-2015 03:14 PM
possibly dumb question. gunder463 General Crawlers 2 03-27-2014 09:58 PM
Possibly need a bec? pavel Team Losi Comp Crawler 15 06-18-2009 12:34 PM
Dumb question about a servo and BEC EvilPlots Electronics 4 07-12-2008 04:37 PM