Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Basically new DX5 rugged junk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2022, 02:38 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Basically new DX5 rugged junk?

Ok so been running 3 channels 0 issues. Decided to try and use the forth channel for a winch.

Dx5 rugged has 4 switches around the wheel, 2 and a button near the trigger.

The button I set on ch3 for my lights, works fine.

Tried to set winch to switch above it. Winch worked great but sounds were that of it adjusting trim. Look at the screen it's maxing out or going negative on brake travel. The switch right above it does the same for throttle.

After spending 1.5 hours following the manual (which all the travel adjust settings to reassign buttons don't exist on the screen at all) resetting the TX twice, I was finally forced to put the winch control up by the wheel making it more or less totally useless because I can't steer and use it at the same time.

Now not supposed to be able to put 2 things on the same button on the radio, but well from the factory it's screwed up. Then no way of fixing it because the options that should be there are not.

Not to mention, what uneducated MORON puts the brake travel and throttle travel adjust on aux buttons by the trigger????

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2022, 02:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Basically new DX5 rugged junk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Ok so been running 3 channels 0 issues. Decided to try and use the forth channel for a winch.

Dx5 rugged has 4 switches around the wheel, 2 and a button near the trigger.

The button I set on ch3 for my lights, works fine.

Tried to set winch to switch above it. Winch worked great but sounds were that of it adjusting trim. Look at the screen it's maxing out or going negative on brake travel. The switch right above it does the same for throttle.

After spending 1.5 hours following the manual (which all the travel adjust settings to reassign buttons don't exist on the screen at all) resetting the TX twice, I was finally forced to put the winch control up by the wheel making it more or less totally useless because I can't steer and use it at the same time.

Now not supposed to be able to put 2 things on the same button on the radio, but well from the factory it's screwed up. Then no way of fixing it because the options that should be there are not.

Not to mention, what uneducated MORON puts the brake travel and throttle travel adjust on aux buttons by the trigger????

Frustrating as hell. I've *heard* there's a way to turn off the throttle/steering trim adjustment on those buttons, but I couldn't figure it out. The C button isn't in a terrible spot. I use C, E, and F, which uses up all 5 channels.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:55 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I went to LHS cause had to get mine and wife's Slashes anyway (something for family fun, kids got their slashes for xmas).

I couldn't put them on c and d like I was wanting. They were on e and f.

They found the issue, the manual was wrong on how to switch the channels for those. Had to go I rate adjustments to change brake and throttle travel adjust assignments. Took them a good bit to figure it out. But seeing as i bought the knightrunner, the dx5 with 2 rx and all my other electronics for it there, they are happy to help when i have issues i cant sort. Now trims and travel adjustments are a-d and e-g are my aux channels.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:01 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

It is possible to get winch control on the E or F controls. I've done it, so if I can do it, it's possible.
I just wish I can remember how I did it. I do remember it took me awhile.
Perhaps Tigris99's post above helps more than I did....
dungeonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The problem is, Spektrum loves to allocate stuff to buttons and not tell you anything about it, so when you assign something to that button, the other function "goes elsewhere," usually with some bizarre result.

After my very rough time with the DX5C, I've made a conscious effort to keep my life about 94% Spektrum-free.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

My issue wasn't reallocation, it's both things we're operating when I would move said switch. So my brake travel (which I don't think effects my rig at all) would max out or go full negative while the winch was coming out or going in. That was the "WTF?????"

Truthfully I like the radio, being what I can get for far less which I learned after I bought it, not sure it's worth the money but I do like everything except the finicky touch pad.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Spectrum is great once you learn it. But there is a lot missing from the dx5c. I just use the dx5pro. Rugged basically the same as the dx5c so I wouldn't get that either considering they don't offer anything over cheaper systems.

Spectrum names things different then futaba as well I believe, travel maybe...

I don't know, never used futaba, but I am sure I would be lost with them. Basically it's apple vs android. Just different ways of doing things. I am sure it's intuitive to the guy who programed it...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Basically new DX5 rugged junk? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dx5 rugged issues SuperDutyScaler Electronics 3 09-13-2021 06:22 AM
DX5 Rugged Issue coltonjdavis Electronics 7 07-23-2020 12:28 AM
Spektrum dx5 rugged Pwest Electronics 1 07-22-2020 07:13 PM