Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Is there a way to enhance RX signal strenght?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Is there a way to enhance RX signal strenght?

Hi. Today we went to a local gorge and took both TRX with us. At some point we had to cross a river and the moment they went totally submerged, they both lost communication with the TX.
When they came on shallow water, they were working fine again. They both run TQi RXs and TXs. Is there a way to enhance the signal somehow, to have control in these conditions?
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Is there a way to enhance RX signal strenght?

i dont think you can do anything radio waves dont like water
the old school radio recivers had long antenas they would do better

i know there are things like subs that can go underwater i dont know how deep though but i would imagine they work on a differnt frequency than standerd surface radios but im just guessin
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Old school tube up through the body, not much else you can do... Radio signals can't travel far in water, especially low power high frequency ones like used in RC. Even submarines use acoustic (sound) comms.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The weird thing is that I had the TX right on top of the truck, at 20-30cm distance and it still couldn't get any signal.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

pool noodle tire foams lol stay on top of the water and ya wont lose controle

just a thought lol
Old 05-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
pool noodle tire foams lol stay on top of the water and ya wont lose controle

just a thought lol

And a propeller mod on the back. LOL
Old 05-15-2022, 03:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
And a propeller mod on the back. LOL
aaahhh jet drive !
Old 05-16-2022, 01:11 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I think higher frequencies penatrate better. But water surface is like a mirror to radio waves. That's how shortwave radios skip across the atmosphere I believe.

Honestly I think buying a submarine tx/rx might be the way if there is a thing. Or making a longer antena that sticks above the surface. Make a scale whip antena...or larger then scale that is removable. Like a clip on with a floaty.

Not to mention water will inevitably eventually mess up even waterproof electronics and tire foams. It always finds a way in eventually.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:11 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I was hoping for some kind of signal booster. Not really fond to have an antenna sticking out of the body, just for the occasional river crossing. Water does get in, but marine grease in the axles and transmission does a good job so far.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Lower frequencies go further, but that's besides the point, a foot of water will absorb more electromagnetic energy than a mile of air. OK, I didn't run the numbers on that but I'll bet I'm not far off

Making sure the receiving antenna is near the top of your vehicle will help for sure.

Also, radios known for their long range will probabyl work better either due to stronger signal or more robust protocols or whatever voodoo makes them work better in the dry.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:43 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Don't let the antenna submerge.

2.4 systems are calibrated for their antenna length.

The RX isn't transmitting, it's only receiving, thus the name receiver.

Get the antenna to reach at least the very top of the body

That said I know from experience traxxas TX sucks for signal strength. Spektrum is better in this case but I also make a point to use antenna tube to keep the antenna straight up. My rig has a tendency to start to float at a certain point (should probably drill a hole in the cab roof) but I know antenna has gone completely under if only barely and I still have control.

But short of new system, only way is longer antenna and new system isn't a guaranty. As guys have said, a scale whip (cb) antenna with the rx antenna being right next to it (but not touching) will allow for deeper water without loosing signal. That same principal is what I use for a gopro set up where I can watch it live wireless with it 30ft under water.

FYI having a rig that totally sinks can be a very good way to loose it playing near water. Bring some line an a hook lol.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:13 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
Hi. Today we went to a local gorge and took both TRX with us. At some point we had to cross a river and the moment they went totally submerged, they both lost communication with the TX.
When they came on shallow water, they were working fine again. They both run TQi RXs and TXs. Is there a way to enhance the signal somehow, to have control in these conditions?
I still cant figure out why people chose to do this and can't figure out why it creats problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Don't let the antenna submerge.

2.4 systems are calibrated for their antenna length.

The RX isn't transmitting, it's only receiving, thus the name receiver.

Get the antenna to reach at least the very top of the body

That said I know from experience traxxas TX sucks for signal strength. Spektrum is better in this case but I also make a point to use antenna tube to keep the antenna straight up. My rig has a tendency to start to float at a certain point (should probably drill a hole in the cab roof) but I know antenna has gone completely under if only barely and I still have control.

But short of new system, only way is longer antenna and new system isn't a guaranty. As guys have said, a scale whip (cb) antenna with the rx antenna being right next to it (but not touching) will allow for deeper water without loosing signal. That same principal is what I use for a gopro set up where I can watch it live wireless with it 30ft under water.

FYI having a rig that totally sinks can be a very good way to loose it playing near water. Bring some line an a hook lol.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-16-2022 at 08:16 PM. Reason: need to add
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Oh he is correct. Lower frequency penatrates better. I was thinking of old cordless phones. But the higher frequency actually worked better because it reflected off walls and bounced around walls more instead of penatrating through walls more. Damn RadioShack and their shitty training.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:36 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I still cant figure out why people chose to do this and can't figure out why it creats problems

Sometimes it's out of necessity, not choise. We have a lot of gorges here and they have small river crossings in them. Sometimes there is a away across without getting wet, sometimes there isn't.

You can always pick up the trucks and carry them across, but where's the fun in that, right?
Old 05-18-2022, 03:23 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Lol I have to say I would have usualy agreed with codyboy.

But lately all I do is upgrade stuff. I have more fun shopping for new parts. So if like me you like to upgrade, by all means drive it like it's stolen and have fun. Then when it breaks sooner because of the water or grime or whatever... it's just another reason to shop and upgrade.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:24 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

i love water if theres water neer by my rcs are in it back when i started i burned up alot of electronics then i learned to waterproof then someone else learned to water proof and i dont have to do it any more lol
now days everything is waterproff to a point so i dont even think about it anymore
as far as bearings and gears they dont mind the water just dont let them rust up

i really wish there was a way to go deeper too but i havent figured it out yet other than old school radios and recivers with huge antenas i dont think there is alot we can do

Last edited by ferp420; 05-18-2022 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:52 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I have some scale antennas lying around that I never used. I might test them the next time to see if it actually works. Will have to figure out a way to install them on the go and take them out when the truck is out of the water.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:02 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Likely, your best source here is to check out what people do for RC submarines. But, most of those RCs do not dive very deep under radio control.

You can look at extending the antenna, but there are a couple of things that you need to keep in mind. First, antennae are bandwidth matched to the frequency they transmit and receive on; if you antenna length is not correct, you stand a good chance to reducing the range you have, or losing signal all together. Also, some antenna, like the TQi-series, have two antenna in them, one receiving the radio's signals, and the other transmitting back telemetry, so you'll have to figure out how to deal with that.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:43 PM   #19
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Xag - bottom line is that your radio system is not intended to be used for underwater communications. You can mess around doing this or that but it's never going to work very well.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:35 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Your only real option is to go with an aftermarket TX/RX. The TQi is not known for it's long range and there is really nothing you can do to improve the range. The antenna on the RX is fixed and cannot be modified and unless you are an electrical engineer I know of no way to boost the TX signal strengh. I would recommend you take a look at the FlySky GT5 w/6chRX for around $80. Or you can go with a higher end Spektrum DX5 but prices range from about $200-$300 depending on the model.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Is there a way to enhance RX signal strenght? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pepsi using dead fetus cells to enhance flavor??? WTF?? D19er Chit Chat 33 01-09-2014 02:52 AM
RC4WD, Tranny R2 Crawler Edition, strenght enough or ... ?? Heartless82 General Crawlers 6 03-11-2013 03:04 PM
NO Signal dubAron Electronics 2 01-26-2011 12:31 PM
FXR Reverse Strenght? DrunkDriver Electronics 13 09-17-2009 11:09 PM
soldering?? strenght??? TeamDeweyRacing Tools, and Procedures 10 04-26-2008 11:57 AM