Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Radio for independent 4ws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Radio for independent 4ws

So I bought a Flysky GT5 a while back when I converted one of my crawlers to four wheel steering, and it was ok for the first few runs but more and more frequently lately the thing will lose bind mid run with no real rhyme or reason. I'm over trying to get it to work right and ready to just buy a quality radio. If it worked it'd be a great radio especially for the price.

One thing I DID really like about the GT5 was being able to use 6th channel dial/knob to control my rear steer. I don't like having the steering servos run together and I don't care for the "crawl mode" BS some radios offer where you've gotta flip through stuff to go between front/rear steer or crab walking etc...

What's a good radio around the $300-400 mark that will give me good independent control over each steering servo?
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2022, 09:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Radio for independent 4ws

I suggest the Radiolink RC6GS V3. Its about 80.00. I say its the best 500.00 radio in an 80.00 box and it is.
for Rear Steer it has a Variable knob that can be used for proportional rear steering instead of stepped steering like many radios have.
it also has 2 3 way toggle switches, a thumb button, and 2 momentary contacts besides the steering and trigger.

The new v3 is 7 channels (v2 and v1 are 6 cnls), and each is fully programmable for mixing and channel assignment. has a rediculous number of model memory (33) as well as a shitload of other options (V1 and 2 are 10 model memory)
Full mix capability of all channels, usb updateable, rxs can to FPV systems. The 2 downsides, not easy to one hand drive as the steering wheel is a distance from the trigger, and the housing is a bit bulky, old spectrum looking.

Receivers are only 23.00 additional for the 7 channels or as low as 15 for the non gyro 6 channel rxs.

you wont find a more competent radio for 80.00.

Last edited by Timmahh; 10-06-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Echoing the above, the Radiolink RC4/RC6 isn't perfect, but it's my absolute go to for 4WS. I just build a second steering wheel to attach to the VR knob, and it works a treat. The pot inside the radio isn't exactly built for that kind of abuse, which is why I say it's not perfect-- but it's far and away the best I've used to date. And cheap, to boot.

The RC4GS is my default radio for any new build that needs four or fewer channels. It's just a good radio, and at $61, it's the best radio (says the guy with 18 rigs.)
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:07 PM   #4
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Spektrum DX5 Pro has all the functionality you could want (4ws, moa and more) but is not a popular radio on this forum. I like it, but I've always been partial to Spektrum's way of doing things. Just a personal preference I suppose.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Love my gt5, never had any binding issues. Only thing i really dont like about it is u cant mix channels. I can drive one handed easily, while holding the phone to record with the other. 20 car memory, 2s lipo ready, its not bulky.
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 04:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

oh ya. the Radiolinks can take a 3s and 4s pack.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks for the input guys, I'll give the RC6 a shot. Looks like the cheap radios are the only ones with the rear steer knob instead of the 3 position or mixed steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Love my gt5, never had any binding issues. Only thing i really dont like about it is u cant mix channels. I can drive one handed easily, while holding the phone to record with the other. 20 car memory, 2s lipo ready, its not bulky.
Well I'm glad you've had better luck with yours. My GT3 that I run with my 2 wheel steer crawlers has been flawless, GT5 has been a real let down.

Tried a new receiver with the GT5 tonight, same issue where it loses bind after rapid steering movement (and then buries both steering servos to one side), and now it will also drop the rear steering channel but leave the rest running.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 10-08-2022 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:09 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I use my trusty sanwa mt4. It has a thumb lever for queer steer that makes life so easy and fluid.

Just saw a sanwa m12rs on bookface for $350, it has all the same kick ass thumb lever
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:44 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike Kid View Post
Tried a new receiver with the GT5 tonight, same issue where it loses bind after rapid steering movement (and then buries both steering servos to one side), and now it will also drop the rear steering channel but leave the rest running.
I only had that happen one time, but it was the same servo. Wat servos are u runnin? At the time mine kept turning full left n locking, i was runnin the powerHD 20kg. Theyre pretty good cheap servos, but ive started using HH servos.

The recievers i use are the ia6. I think theyre actually for planes, but they work great n have 2 antennas. But if im limited to space, i use the bs6
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:42 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
I only had that happen one time, but it was the same servo. Wat servos are u runnin? At the time mine kept turning full left n locking, i was runnin the powerHD 20kg. Theyre pretty good cheap servos, but ive started using HH servos.

The recievers i use are the ia6. I think theyre actually for planes, but they work great n have 2 antennas. But if im limited to space, i use the bs6
Space is at a premium, I only run small scale stuff now. 4ws truck in question is an SCX24. It's got Emax ES08s on both ends. I've swapped a few around hoping it was a bad servo but with no real success.

It is strange how randomly it'll do it though. Sometimes its every 30 seconds, sometimes I can run for 15-20 minutes no problem.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:26 PM   #11
RCC Addict

fwiw, Radiolink sells an uncased rx's compatible with their radios. so its small footprint, light and still 6chn I think.
not that you'd need it on a 24, but lights, winch r steer and f steer throttle is 5 chnls so....
I think the uncased rxs are air units, but can still bind to the surface radios but not 100. at any rate, you can take a rc6gs.

V3 is the newest radio, but V2 and even v1 would work great for what you're using as all 3 are 6cnl have the variable knob and are fullly mixable and programable for the mix, assignable to each aux button etc.

Last edited by Timmahh; 10-09-2022 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

here is a 4cnl surface rx for mini cars
https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Rec...s%2C184&sr=8-7
Old 10-09-2022, 08:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

That 4CH caseless Rx works great, I'm running one in one of my Elements. It's super small, so it fit in the smallest receiver box-- which I strongly recommend, as I'm 99% sure the Rx is not conformally coated.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:24 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I just finished setting up my FlySky G7p when I added a second steering axle to my capra, with dig and lights, and cruise control, and crabbing cruise control lol.

It's on par with the g5, so if you're looking to upgrade fancy, it's not for you - but it does have mixing and I'm using CH7 and a little VR1 dial to have a manual mix+ offset to the rear axle regardless of what 4ws mode I'm in. Or to two hand it if you're coordinated (I'm not yet). It's a little flimsy to add some type of wheel to that pot though, like you said with your old one. The built in 4ws modes is really nice too - I thought I was going to have to do that all manually with mixes and wasted channels.

Here's what I have set on mine.
  • 1-front-servo
  • 2-Throttle
  • 3-rear-servo
  • 4-dig-servo (2pos button SW1)
  • 5-lights-set (Trim tophat instant button set1/set2/both/off)
  • 6-Toggle through 4WS mode (Button SW2 Fonly/Ronly/Both/Crab )
  • 7-VR1 dial mixed to add to CH3 rear servo so I can manually set a rear wheel steer position - like setting a rudder, hands off.
  • Plus VR2 dial/lever mixed to CH2 throttle but only 10%. So it's like a micro adjust descent cruise control.
chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 11:12 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Got the RC6GS setup installed and I'm happy to report that I've got 30-40 minutes of running on it now with no issues. It's more radio than I really need in a 1/24 rig but it ticks the box for having a rear steer knob that stays put. Pretty feature packed radio for the money, really like the onboard feedback like the receiver voltage. After running and watching that number I'm kinda wondering if the weak BEC on the ESC I'm running was the source of my GT5 troubles.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:25 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Ok on the RC6GS V3 did you guys make the rear steer knob self centering ? I have the same radio and have been looking for a way the make it a self centering pot. Or replacing it with a self centering pot.
big specht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:34 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I considered it, but i did not. I just printed a larger knob to slide over the vr knob, and it has a gap in the teeth so I can feel where center is. It wouldn't be hard to make it centering, just some trial and error getting the right size spring. I think I prefer the rear staying wherever I put it until I change it again rather than having to hold it in position.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:48 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I'm sure you could do it but I prefer the rear steering to stay where I put it.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:58 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike Kid View Post
I'm sure you could do it but I prefer the rear steering to stay where I put it.
Thats how I'd prefer my rear steer if I had/ran one.

you could change the pot to a centering pot, but as Trike Kid said.
Old 10-15-2022, 04:06 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I considered it, but i did not. I just printed a larger knob to slide over the vr knob, and it has a gap in the teeth so I can feel where center is. It wouldn't be hard to make it centering, just some trial and error getting the right size spring. I think I prefer the rear staying wherever I put it until I change it again rather than having to hold it in position.
Do you have a pic of what the knob you made? I was thinking of making one that I could run with my thumb
big specht is offline   Reply With Quote

Radio for independent 4ws - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Independent 4WS and/or Throttle? 8300Angstroms Electronics 14 08-11-2021 06:57 AM
HOw to independent 4ws badBKO HPI Wheely King 6 12-13-2007 09:59 AM
What radio systems is everyone using for independent 4ws?? rockrash2004 General Crawlers 20 01-24-2006 09:32 PM
whats the best radio for independent rear steer. Magic Electronics 2 12-13-2004 03:40 PM
independent clod steering with tmaxx 3ch radio MuffinMan1100mhz Electronics 6 07-29-2004 09:40 AM