Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: brushless sensored motor getting hot with no load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2022, 10:33 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default brushless sensored motor getting hot with no load

i have a vary old vary abused novak hd8 that all the sudden started getting hot once i noticed it and did alittle bit of testing it.gets hot with no load under minamal throtle

i thought the bearings were toast so i replaced them still getting hot

i am now asuming the sensor is toast

i found a guy parting out what looks like a new hd8 so i was hoping to get the windings and sensor he also has the rotor but i dont think i need it

anyway heres my question is there a way to test these componints with a simple multi meter before i go all out and buy the parts i dont need

i would rather not toss it cause well novak isent around anymore and i used to go to there factory and get free stickers when i was a kid
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2022, 04:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: brushless sensored motor getting hot with no load

Try a different sensor cable first. If the behavior is exactly the same, it's extremely likely that the Hall sensor is going. When it's gone, if basically won't work with the cable plugged in. That's provided that it doesn't heat up when running sensorless. If it gets hot in both states, the rotor is a goner, and you're looking at buying a new motor. I had a Speed Passion TC motor fail in almost the exact same way-- and the heat inside is WAY higher than the outside, so it effectively cooked the magnets before I could even tell it was heating up.

I sold a Novak Switch module a few years ago for almost triple what I had paid for it. I think I still have an old XRS speedo somewhere. But in the "brushed is the only thing that exists" era, I was more of a Tekin guy. Still have a G10 in a box somewhere-- the last of the "real" Tekin ESCs.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote

brushless sensored motor getting hot with no load - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor very hot - Tekin gen1 sensored tinyT1m7 Axial RR10 Bomber 13 09-13-2016 08:54 AM
Sensored brushless motor 4WD Electronics 7 05-21-2013 05:35 PM