Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: how to waterproof CC bec

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default how to waterproof CC bec

HI, I want to waterproof my CC BEC but failed on my first attempt. I used the spray on plati dip and im having hard time on the wire part because the hole that the blue plastic covering on the bec is just too big. Is it okay it some of the plasti dip to go inside and wont affect the electronics. If it doesnt ill probably get the plsti dip where you dip it in. Im jsut having troubles with that hole part. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
bro_die is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I would use a small balloon. Put the whole thing inside, wires coming out, then a zip tie close to the bec, some greese in the neck of the balloon, and then another zip tie. Basically, you make a sealed section in the neck of the balloon..
Just an idea, if you have the room.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
I would use a small balloon. Put the whole thing inside, wires coming out, then a zip tie close to the bec, some greese in the neck of the balloon, and then another zip tie. Basically, you make a sealed section in the neck of the balloon..
Just an idea, if you have the room.

good idead I might just try it. Anymore suggestions
Old 07-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

To waterproof nice 2.4Ghz RX's I always put them in a small zip loc bag or medium sized jewlery bag large enough that I can also fit my CC BEC in there.

I then use a good amount of dielectric grease or white lithium grease around the neck after I have twisted all the wires leading out the top of the bag.

Continue twisting the bag as well making sure the seal on the zip loc does not open and that you have a bit of grease seeping out the neck. I secure this with about 3 zip ties to make sure the zip loc bag doesn't open and to keep the wires from moving around allowing water in.

Waterproofing ESC's, servos, and cheap AM RX's is easy to do as well.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

okay ill try out the balloon or ziplock and make sure its nice anf tight and alos out of the way of everything else. Can i use marine grease instead of the grease mentioned. Reason why im asking is its hard finding grease out here in this small island. Marine grease also resist water anyways.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

All I would do to waterproof a CCBEC is get some silicone and squirt it in the openings of the heat shrink. Really easy and doesn't make it any bulkier.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I just waterproofed one for my Wraith build, I took the heat shrink off, sprayed it with plasti dip and re heat shrinked it.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I havent gotten around to it yet but I am planning on removing the shrink wrap and coating the whole thing in liquid electrical tape.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Theres yah go more input to this idea. I did a search but got nowhere and thought Id ask waht other people would do. I actually thought of taking about that blue plastic (if thats even heat shrink) and spraying it inside but I thought id just damage it so I discarded that idea. Well, now thats its been done ill do that. That slicon idea is great too BUT i sprayed the outside anyways and its pretty thick. I thought the thicker itll get the more itll cover that hole but I thought wrong.

Last edited by bro_die; 07-14-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have had great luck with both silicone caulk and Shoe Goo just put in the ends of the factory blue heatshrink. Work it in good and let it dry and it is pretty darn water proof.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

i have liquid tape in paste/brush on form.
i fill the ends with liquid tape. then once it dries either brush on liquid tape over whole thing or spray couple coats of plastidip on it. no issues yet.

had it coming over the hood and almost fully submerged multiple times

Last edited by discgolferlee; 07-14-2011 at 09:39 AM.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

silicone it into a cube make a little mold (ice cube tray??) but some silicone in then the part then top it off and let it dry
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Smearing silicone around the ends is the best and easiest way....best to not over-think some things.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Alright, i've never fully waterproofed a rig before but hope to one day.
Question, once ballooned, how do you mount it so it looks clean? Also, should i worry about over heating? Should i only balloon it for water use, or do you guys leave it waterproofed for all your driving? I'm just afraid my electronics will over heat with zero air flow or ventilation.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thanks all for all those ideas. I wanted to leave the blue plasitc on it yah know just for the looks but i kinda sprayed plasti dip on it. Im wondering I also sprayed plasti dip on the ends will silicon still stick on the plasti dip?
Dirk thats the disadvantage IMO when its ballooned. You gota think how to do it neatly. google "how to waterproof scx10 receiver box" and click on the link. Shows a great way using balloon.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
Alright, i've never fully waterproofed a rig before but hope to one day.
Question, once ballooned, how do you mount it so it looks clean? Also, should i worry about over heating? Should i only balloon it for water use, or do you guys leave it waterproofed for all your driving? I'm just afraid my electronics will over heat with zero air flow or ventilation.
If you just silicone the ends you can mount it with servo tape just like you normally would. If you use a balloon, just zip tie it to something. No need to worry about it over heating....they don't get very warm unless they are on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro_die View Post
Thanks all for all those ideas. I wanted to leave the blue plasitc on it yah know just for the looks but i kinda sprayed plasti dip on it. Im wondering I also sprayed plasti dip on the ends will silicon still stick on the plasti dip?
Dirk thats the disadvantage IMO when its ballooned. You gota think how to do it neatly. google "how to waterproof scx10 receiver box" and click on the link. Shows a great way using balloon.
Silicone sticks to pretty much everything.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Hmmm... I've had my CC BEC under water without doing anything and it seemed to be fine. Maybe I wasn't thinking about it at all. I've also been known not to waterproof anything and still go swimming.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Hmmm... I've had my CC BEC under water without doing anything and it seemed to be fine. Maybe I wasn't thinking about it at all. I've also been known not to waterproof anything and still go swimming.
Not all of us have as much disposable income as you Brett.....
Old 07-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Not all of us have as much disposable income as you Brett.....
I wouldn't call it disposable income... I'd call it not even thinking about waterproofing because I'll avoid water. Just like me telling my kid not to drive the Wraith in the lake a couple weeks ago because I hadn't sealed anything up. I look back and see it starting to float. Silly kids.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Smearing silicone around the ends is the best and easiest way....best to not over-think some things.
But the becs usually melt a bit of the shrink wrap after a while
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote