Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: RadioLink RC8X - have you bought one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2023, 11:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RadioLink RC8X - have you bought one

I'm seriously looking at getting a RadioLink RC8X. I've searched the forum and haven't found much about this radio from members of the forum. There is some YouTube stuff but not much from people who have actually been using them.

I've been using a Spektrum DX4C for years, mostly with the 3-channel SR3100 receiver. It's worked well for me and I have one SR410 receiver I'm using.

I'm changing things up a bit on my builds now and anticipate needing 5, 6, or maybe even 7 channels. At $80 Canadian for a 4-channel Spektrum receiver, I'm prepared to move on to something different. RadioLink transmitters/receivers seem to have a very loyal fanbase on this forum, promoting them every time someone asks about transmitters with 4 or more channels or how to control some specific function.

So, if you are using the RC8X, could you pass on any good, bad, or ugly, you've encountered.

I'll mention I'm retired on a pension and the price of this transmitter will blow my RC budget for the next 3 months. Having said that, the more I look into it, the more I want one. Probably does way more than I'll ever figure out how to use but very cool, IMHO.

Thanks in advance for any help/info you can provide.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2023, 11:44 PM   #2

Default Re: RadioLink RC8X - have you bought one

I've had one for 2 months now and I'm very much happy with it. It was a learning curve since I've only had spektrums but it is very easy to use. The Rx are very adorable and you will have more buttons then you know what to do with. So far the only con I have found it the inability to name the channels (winch, dig, 4ws) you just have to remember. Hopefully that is an update to come.
AzBorn928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:45 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yes, loving it. I've had Futaba 7PXR ($700+) and many, many other radios. I also have a Flysky GT5 I use and had the Radiolink 6ch radio too. The new RC8X reminds me of the Futaba the most. The Radiolink is slower (transmitting speed) than something like that, but fine for bashers, crawlers, and i'm sure some club racing as well. Unless i'm a high end racer, i'm probably not telling the difference.

I like it as the receivers are inexpensive $15-25 and they have a lot of options. Need 8 channels, good. Gyro, available, telemetry, yes. Want a smaller receiver? They have tiny 4ch receivers that work and plenty in between.

I got it to setup with my Bully 2 MOA and it was really easy to do so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXCU9LmXIyQ

Since then I have it on the Bully 2, two Negative G cheater rigs, a 4WS Capra build, a 1/24 comp rig and it was on 6s Ryft. All work great!
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks AzBorn928 and jamesbernatchez.

Been digging around for more info and I'm wondering if you are using the stock battery box with 8 AAA batteries or have you switched to a LiPo? If you have, are you using a 2s, what size (mAh), and how much run time are you getting?

I've seen info on the 2s 1700 mAh battery RadioLink supplies as an option and the indicated run time is 2 hours. Doesn't seem like a lot of run time for a battery that size. Years ago I had a Flysky FS-GT3C with the 1s 800 mAh rechargeable battery and, if I remember correctly, I would get 10-12 hours from a single charge. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2023, 05:49 PM   #5
RCC Addict

got the v1 rc6 then the v2 once it released. was going to grab the v3 RC6, but had to wait, and then they dropped the RX8 a few months back. Glad I waited. The RC6 is very responsive so I wonder if the RX8 has a little different protocols making it a bit slower in responsive rate... In which case a simple update to the firmware can resolve.

At any rate, Got one in my cart, just need to pull the trigger.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
Thanks AzBorn928 and jamesbernatchez.

Been digging around for more info and I'm wondering if you are using the stock battery box with 8 AAA batteries or have you switched to a LiPo? If you have, are you using a 2s, what size (mAh), and how much run time are you getting?

I've seen info on the 2s 1700 mAh battery RadioLink supplies as an option and the indicated run time is 2 hours. Doesn't seem like a lot of run time for a battery that size. Years ago I had a Flysky FS-GT3C with the 1s 800 mAh rechargeable battery and, if I remember correctly, I would get 10-12 hours from a single charge. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mine came with the 1700mah 2s lipo. I was out the other day for about 4 hours crawling in the cold and it worked fine. Was a bit low, but nothing anything I was worried about.
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Just want to say thanks for the input. Pulled the trigger today and just have to wait the 5-9 weeks for it to be delivered. Got my fingers crossed its closer to 5 weeks than the 9 weeks.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:49 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
Just want to say thanks for the input. Pulled the trigger today and just have to wait the 5-9 weeks for it to be delivered. Got my fingers crossed its closer to 5 weeks than the 9 weeks.
What site? Been getting some things for my 3Racing drifter from Ali-Express us and other than a set of body mounts thats not shipped due to dude being on vacation, everything else (small packages) has been here in 15-16 days from the day it is shipped. Most stuff appears to be flown into Ohare in Chicago.

Last edited by Timmahh; 09-04-2023 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
What sight? Been getting some things for my 3Racing drifter form Ali-Espress us and other than a set of body mounts thats not shipped due to dude being on vaction, everyting else (small packages) have been here in 15-16 days from the day it is shipped. Most stuff appears to be flown into Ohare in Chicago.
Got mine from ebay. Just wasn't comfortable with trying Aliexpress for the first time with the cost of this item. Maybe use them for something fairly inexpensive where it won't matter if everything goes sideways. Just a little bit gun-shy because of some of the stories I've heard.

Also, my experience is some shipments to Canada take way longer then shipped to the US. And, shipping can be more expensive sometimes.

Last edited by nightcrawler48; 01-29-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:07 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Just a small feedback post on battery life.

Initial use, I used conventional AAA batteries and lasted me a full event's worth. Next outing, I put those away and popped in rechargeable batteries I had. The batteries are a few years old but they didn't last me 2hrs. Used them again and same thing. Turning the screen off does prolong the life but wasn't drastic in this case. Bought 8 new Energizer, charged up and similar result. Guess I'll be storing these rechargeables for things other than this transmitter! Not even reliable enough as spares.

I haven't tried the 2S 1700mah lipo that comes with it yet but from what I read it seems more promising. But little research I've found that the 2800mah 2S marketed towards the previous Radiolinks fits and lasts a decent amount? Curious what you all use?
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 06:06 PM   #11
RCC Addict

in my RC6GS I'm running a 2500Mah 3s pack. Turnigy nano pack 2.5. fit is great and life span is killer. I don't run as much as I should/used to, but basically only need to charge a couple times a year at current use, which isn't slouchy, just not out everday/week due to other things needing my attention.

I suspect the 8 will drain faster for sure and I think it is also good to 4s, like the RC6/4GS radios are.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:37 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
in my RC6GS I'm running a 2500Mah 3s pack. Turnigy nano pack 2.5. fit is great and life span is killer. I don't run as much as I should/used to, but basically only need to charge a couple times a year at current use, which isn't slouchy, just not out everday/week due to other things needing my attention.

I suspect the 8 will drain faster for sure and I think it is also good to 4s, like the RC6/4GS radios are.
Right on dude, thanks for the reply. I used the 2S that it comes with for a bit and seems to hold a charge decently so far. I'll be sure to invest in a bigger lipo for this thing or a 2 pack even.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:10 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I'm using a 3s pack also. I tried looking for a 4s but no luck.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:25 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
I'm using a 3s pack also. I tried looking for a 4s but no luck.
Ya, pack size would need to be small Im sure due to battery compartment size.
Old 09-07-2023, 04:39 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The battery that I'm using in my 6 is a Protek PTK-5172 2300 mah 3s.
Old 09-08-2023, 02:44 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
The battery that I'm using in my 6 is a Protek PTK-5172 2300 mah 3s.
I'm sold on this one. The 2S should be a solid backup.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:48 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Well about a year ago myb more. It was slicker than owl snot in the woods on the leaves. I slipped, fell and slid down the hill head first. The RC6GS took flight. Radio has been fine until today. The wheel fell off while crawling/trailing. Good thing we were almost back to the cars. I guess when it took flight in landed on the wheel hard. Cracked the wheel mounting point and the case behind it. Good thing they sell that part. I love the radio.

RadioLink RC8X - have you bought one - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To: Bully 2 w/ HW Fusion Pros and setup on Radiolink RC8X jamesbernatchez RC4WD Bully 6 01-26-2023 10:36 AM
Radiolink RC8X - Conditions? CosmoM3 Electronics 2 01-24-2023 08:50 AM
Radiolink tx/rx Frank211 Electronics 72 10-21-2020 05:48 PM
Built not bought, with a bunch of things I bought. imthatguy Axial SCX-10 28 01-10-2016 08:41 PM
RadioLink T6EHP-E adamargue Electronics 0 02-06-2011 12:04 PM