RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Receiver troubleshooting help (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/631079-receiver-troubleshooting-help.html)

PAUL-E-D 01-26-2023 04:40 PM

Receiver troubleshooting help

I very recently purchased a Element Gatekeeper RTR and I have about 4 minutes runtime on it in my driveway using a Reedy 3000 2S shorty pack. I just attempted to make some adjustments to the ESC using the Reedy programming card being sure to follow the instructions. When I unplugged the card and plugged the ESC back into the receiver I now have nothing. No throttle or steering. There is a red light on the ESC though.

I plugged the servo and ESC into the receiver in my Slash and steering and throttle returned. That leads me to believe the receiver that came with the Gatekeeper is the issue. That or the radio/receiver became unbound somehow. I know RTR electronics are not always top tier but I have never had a receiver fail this fast. Could the card have anything to do with it?

I have a good history with r/c but I have been out of the hobby for almost 20 years. I am not used to some of the new tech. Am I missing something?

Timmahh 01-26-2023 06:36 PM

Re: Receiver troubleshooting help

Is it possible you just plugged the ESC into the receiver backwards, aka signal wire to the outside of the case instead of towards the inside pin?

indybama 01-26-2023 06:38 PM

^^^^ that was my first thought as well. Done that myself a time or two

PAUL-E-D 01-26-2023 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmahh (Post 6131243)
Is it possible you just plugged the ESC into the receiver backwards, aka signal wire to the outside of the case instead of towards the inside pin?

I thought about that also but the shape of the plug only allows for it to go in one way.

Fallen 01-27-2023 12:08 AM

It's not likely that the programming process caused your radio gear to unbind or even lose calibration.

Re-connect all of the electronics, reconnect the programming box and set everything back to default. That's usually a programming option available which can be found in the manual. If you reset the programming to defaults, and it still doesn't work, now you've got a problem.

It sounds like the troubleshooting you've already done has ruled out the ESC and servo, but not the motor. I'm guessing your programming changed a motor setting, and either the ESC or motor doesn't like it. Due to that, it won't allow the ESC to boot up with that setting programmed as is.

Hopefully the default programming settings will fix it. If not, let us know. We'll come up with another solution.

PAUL-E-D 01-27-2023 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallen (Post 6131263)
It's not likely that the programming process caused your radio gear to unbind or even lose calibration.

Re-connect all of the electronics, reconnect the programming box and set everything back to default. That's usually a programming option available which can be found in the manual. If you reset the programming to defaults, and it still doesn't work, now you've got a problem.

It sounds like the troubleshooting you've already done has ruled out the ESC and servo, but not the motor. I'm guessing your programming changed a motor setting, and either the ESC or motor doesn't like it. Due to that, it won't allow the ESC to boot up with that setting programmed as is.

Hopefully the default programming settings will fix it. If not, let us know. We'll come up with another solution.

I have tried going back to default and other settings multiple times and each time nothing happens when I try to use throttle or steering. I would assume the motor would be ok since it worked when I had the ESC and servo plugged into the traxxas receiver.

ferp420 01-27-2023 08:05 AM

did you try readjusting your throttle trim sometimes the esc wont arm if the radio settings are off
if that dosent work call element see what they have to say about it

PAUL-E-D 01-27-2023 03:41 PM

So, update for whoever is paying attention. I called element/ae on my lunch break at work and left a voice mail. No call back yet by the way. I was thinking of what else I could try and ended up using a multi meter on the receiver to see if there was good current and continuity going through the receiver. Well, while I was probing this and that with everything powered up my dog bumped me just enough to move my hand out of position and the probes got crossed up in the receiver pins and a couple sparks flew and BINGO! All is well. Everything works as it should again. I guess I will have to pack a defibrillator in my r/c tool kit now.

Thanks for your contributions!

Timmahh 01-29-2023 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAUL-E-D (Post 6131332)
So, update for whoever is paying attention. I called element/ae on my lunch break at work and left a voice mail. No call back yet by the way. I was thinking of what else I could try and ended up using a multi meter on the receiver to see if there was good current and continuity going through the receiver. Well, while I was probing this and that with everything powered up my dog bumped me just enough to move my hand out of position and the probes got crossed up in the receiver pins and a couple sparks flew and BINGO! All is well. Everything works as it should again. I guess I will have to pack a defibrillator in my r/c tool kit now.

Thanks for your contributions!

Sign of the times I guess.

Seems Everything is going Bass Ackwards.
If something doesn't work, short it out and its like new.
Who Knew.
Lol

ferp420 01-29-2023 08:28 PM

like the old days when you had to hit the tv in just the right spot to get a good picture

PAUL-E-D 01-29-2023 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmahh (Post 6131494)
Sign of the times I guess.

Seems Everything is going Bass Ackwards.
If something doesn't work, short it out and its like new.
Who Knew.
Lol

I always thought sparks were bad but whatever. Maybe it will inspire a new paint scheme.

PAUL-E-D 01-29-2023 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 6131504)
like the old days when you had to hit the tv in just the right spot to get a good picture

Or the Fonz hitting the jukebox.