Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Receiver troubleshooting help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2023, 04:40 PM   #1

Default Receiver troubleshooting help

I very recently purchased a Element Gatekeeper RTR and I have about 4 minutes runtime on it in my driveway using a Reedy 3000 2S shorty pack. I just attempted to make some adjustments to the ESC using the Reedy programming card being sure to follow the instructions. When I unplugged the card and plugged the ESC back into the receiver I now have nothing. No throttle or steering. There is a red light on the ESC though.

I plugged the servo and ESC into the receiver in my Slash and steering and throttle returned. That leads me to believe the receiver that came with the Gatekeeper is the issue. That or the radio/receiver became unbound somehow. I know RTR electronics are not always top tier but I have never had a receiver fail this fast. Could the card have anything to do with it?

I have a good history with r/c but I have been out of the hobby for almost 20 years. I am not used to some of the new tech. Am I missing something?
PAUL-E-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2023, 06:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Receiver troubleshooting help

Is it possible you just plugged the ESC into the receiver backwards, aka signal wire to the outside of the case instead of towards the inside pin?
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:38 PM   #3
RCC Addict

^^^^ that was my first thought as well. Done that myself a time or two
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Is it possible you just plugged the ESC into the receiver backwards, aka signal wire to the outside of the case instead of towards the inside pin?
I thought about that also but the shape of the plug only allows for it to go in one way.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:08 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

It's not likely that the programming process caused your radio gear to unbind or even lose calibration.

Re-connect all of the electronics, reconnect the programming box and set everything back to default. That's usually a programming option available which can be found in the manual. If you reset the programming to defaults, and it still doesn't work, now you've got a problem.

It sounds like the troubleshooting you've already done has ruled out the ESC and servo, but not the motor. I'm guessing your programming changed a motor setting, and either the ESC or motor doesn't like it. Due to that, it won't allow the ESC to boot up with that setting programmed as is.

Hopefully the default programming settings will fix it. If not, let us know. We'll come up with another solution.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
It's not likely that the programming process caused your radio gear to unbind or even lose calibration.

Re-connect all of the electronics, reconnect the programming box and set everything back to default. That's usually a programming option available which can be found in the manual. If you reset the programming to defaults, and it still doesn't work, now you've got a problem.

It sounds like the troubleshooting you've already done has ruled out the ESC and servo, but not the motor. I'm guessing your programming changed a motor setting, and either the ESC or motor doesn't like it. Due to that, it won't allow the ESC to boot up with that setting programmed as is.

Hopefully the default programming settings will fix it. If not, let us know. We'll come up with another solution.
I have tried going back to default and other settings multiple times and each time nothing happens when I try to use throttle or steering. I would assume the motor would be ok since it worked when I had the ESC and servo plugged into the traxxas receiver.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:05 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

did you try readjusting your throttle trim sometimes the esc wont arm if the radio settings are off
if that dosent work call element see what they have to say about it
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:41 PM   #8

So, update for whoever is paying attention. I called element/ae on my lunch break at work and left a voice mail. No call back yet by the way. I was thinking of what else I could try and ended up using a multi meter on the receiver to see if there was good current and continuity going through the receiver. Well, while I was probing this and that with everything powered up my dog bumped me just enough to move my hand out of position and the probes got crossed up in the receiver pins and a couple sparks flew and BINGO! All is well. Everything works as it should again. I guess I will have to pack a defibrillator in my r/c tool kit now.

Thanks for your contributions!
Old 01-29-2023, 04:54 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL-E-D View Post
So, update for whoever is paying attention. I called element/ae on my lunch break at work and left a voice mail. No call back yet by the way. I was thinking of what else I could try and ended up using a multi meter on the receiver to see if there was good current and continuity going through the receiver. Well, while I was probing this and that with everything powered up my dog bumped me just enough to move my hand out of position and the probes got crossed up in the receiver pins and a couple sparks flew and BINGO! All is well. Everything works as it should again. I guess I will have to pack a defibrillator in my r/c tool kit now.

Thanks for your contributions!
Sign of the times I guess.

Seems Everything is going Bass Ackwards.
If something doesn't work, short it out and its like new.
Who Knew.
Lol
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

like the old days when you had to hit the tv in just the right spot to get a good picture
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Sign of the times I guess.

Seems Everything is going Bass Ackwards.
If something doesn't work, short it out and its like new.
Who Knew.
Lol
I always thought sparks were bad but whatever. Maybe it will inspire a new paint scheme.

Last edited by PAUL-E-D; 01-29-2023 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
like the old days when you had to hit the tv in just the right spot to get a good picture
Or the Fonz hitting the jukebox.

Receiver troubleshooting help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial AE-3 troubleshooting day215 Electronics 3 08-26-2019 10:20 PM
HELP! troubleshooting.. SurfinStud Electronics 25 11-10-2017 04:05 PM
Help troubleshooting please Arnel Electronics 5 12-09-2013 01:42 PM
Need help troubleshooting cavecrawler Electronics 6 02-22-2011 10:03 AM
Noob needs some troubleshooting help GOBIG Electronics 2 10-10-2006 05:19 PM