Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Flysky G7P the BEST for 4WS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2023, 11:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Flysky G7P the BEST for 4WS.

...based on the location of the VR2 knob, it's in the perfect location to INDEPENDENTLY steer the rear with the throttle hand thumb...with an easy mod, this is super comfortable and smooth to operate.

I used an extra piece included with a steering servo I had laying around....liked this because it had perfectly placed holes for drilling and with a little dremel work...about 15min to make

drilled right into the VR2 knob...fit perfect...the VR2 knob pulls out of the controller, no need for disassembly

super comfy ...crawled with this today and it worked awesome!

obviously there are tons of options to modify the VR2 knob to extend it down a bit...it works great and there is a center notch on the knob so its easy to find the center point when steering.

IMO this is a way better setup then the Flysky GT5 for 4WS Based on the location of the multichannel VR2 knob...give it a go.

Last edited by RustyTaco; 02-04-2023 at 11:12 PM.
RustyTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2023, 01:30 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Flysky G7P the BEST for 4WS.

Nice to see other radios being modified to mimic the airtronics MT4 I've been using for years.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:07 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Also nice to see the G7P for less then half the price....for 80$ its hard to beat.

IMO the position of the moded thumb control on the G7P sits in a more natural comfortable position for the thumb with it being lower down and on the side of the grip...where the rear steer knob on the MT4 looks a high and towards the back putting the thumb in a more awkward position. Im sure it works fine tho.

For a price of 80$ and with ideal location of the 4ws knob on the G7P it is a great option for people looking at a 4WS setup.

Last edited by RustyTaco; 02-05-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:17 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I doubt people seek out an MT4 for rear steer, the beauty of it is in the mixing so it's perfect for MOA use, the lever (is quite comfortable to use) is a fantastic tool for many situations, I used it for winch control on a rig years ago. Made it nice to be able to run the winch at the exact speed in or out.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:35 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

^word, I guess I wasnt considering MOA rigs for this but I know the G7P does have mixing too, but not sure if it as in depth as the MT4....I havent explored MOA style rigs yet maybe someday, they look crazy capable of the lines they can pull.

Im driving a Capra 4WS....so maybe this would work better for non MOA rigs then....anyways just another option.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:52 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking what you've done. The spectrum that comes with the 4ws Capra is fawking terrible.

Recently I've seen the flysky gt5 and spectrum dx5r modified with a thumb lever in the same area for the same purpose of rear steer. I might pick one of them up and give a go to make them work for MOA use. Lots of radios can step mixing front vs rear but the MT4 has fluid mixing between the drive channels. My thumb never leaves the lever, constantly adjusting the mix between the two.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

What's this GT5 mod you've seen? I have mine setup with rear steer on Ch 6, knob right above the wheel.
Not that I've looked but would be curious to see mods peeps are doing on this TX.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:44 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Great job on this conversion, Rusty! Probably one of the least complicated but best ways to do fully independent rear steer on a rig yet.

Hey, do you know if the G7P can work with the receivers that work with the GT5? Not sure if the protocol is different or if the G7P is backward compatible.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

My experience with the G7P has been utterly underwhelming. Big display of nothing, worst steering wheel of all time, dodgy menu navigation,
the two identical cylinders on top where one is a button and the other is a knob (WHY)... I could sadly go on and on. I bought one, and I
will never own more than one.
The RC4GS, on the other hand, I have no complaints. Cheaper, no inactivity beep, knobs and buttons all make sense, and you just slap a
bigger knob atop the VR knob, and it's 4WS time.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:00 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

^not sure about receiver compatibility.

^Regards to the GT5 conversion, they or (he) is relocating the Ch6 knob down to where you can control it with your thumb on the side of the grip. Its a sick conversion and he sells kits to do it...but the down side is it requires A LOT of work, almost 2 hours, and some tedious soldering work....If I already owned a GT5 remote id probably give it a go, seems like a decently challenging project.

his youtube channel is Kool Thing RC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdX2graMqIg

His Videos on the conversion are very well done and worth a watch.

The stock GT5 "works" with the ch6 knob for 4WS, but IMO isnt very ideal to reach with your throttle hand/grip thumb to control the front...then cross over the top and control rear with a small knob...seems kinda awkward but also seems that many get used to it.

The G7P is a much better value out of the box and with an easy 15min mod to extend the VR2 button it works way better then the GT5 stock and just as good if not better then the complicated 2hour GT5 mod. ....my2$

Also baffled on how there isnt a legit 4WS controller out...Completely agree Axial missed the boat on their latest 4WS offering...how do you not at least include an independent rear steer wheel on the grip to be used with the thumb???
Old 02-05-2023, 08:05 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
My experience with the G7P has been utterly underwhelming. Big display of nothing, worst steering wheel of all time, dodgy menu navigation,
the two identical cylinders on top where one is a button and the other is a knob (WHY)... I could sadly go on and on. I bought one, and I
will never own more than one.
The RC4GS, on the other hand, I have no complaints. Cheaper, no inactivity beep, knobs and buttons all make sense, and you just slap a
bigger knob atop the VR knob, and it's 4WS time.
^WOW, nice I like those!!! ....yeah the G7P menu navigation is a bit strange at first but once you get used to it I didnt find it to be an issue. The steering wheel doesn't bother me but I might wrap some foam around it eventually.

What your controllers look like IMO is essentially thats what the big box brands should be making if their going to offer 4WS.

I like not having to reach up with my thumb tho...if the knob/lever can be down lower on the side of the grip in a more natural position for the thumb steer seems like the best spot. My thumb isnt having to reach at all its just chilling in a natural grip position, super comfy.

Thanks for posting your controllers cool to see another option!

Last edited by RustyTaco; 02-05-2023 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:18 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Awesome, thanks RT!
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:43 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Nice work. I'm definitely in the G7p camp, although I do question it's reliability and have had some issue myself. But the functionality is great IMHO.

I admit those RC4GS units that @DrIsotope posted really look nice and polished, but to be honestly, how do you us that? Do you stretch your thumb up around it and somehow push-pull left and right? My big hangup is having to change the position of my thumb between turning right and left - that is unacceptable to me.

idk, if it wasn't for some reliability issues I've had with my own g7p, I'd jump up and down saying "buy this". idk how you can 4ws without mixers so that rules out all but the Radiolink or high end stuff (I mean yeah, your 3x as expensive Futaba is better).

Anyway, here's a lame video I put up showing a super easy super ghetto - yet SUPER effective 4WS on that G7p. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHVfV8k7aJ4
chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:02 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Yup, a few of my buddies and myself have picked this up specifically to run 4WS rigs. It's a good radio!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

Flysky G7P the BEST for 4WS. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FLYSKY FS-G7P how do you like it? m1009cucv Electronics 8 09-25-2022 06:19 PM
FlySky fs it4S setting for 4ws/crab ToxicFire Electronics 2 03-27-2020 10:55 AM
Hacking flysky fsgt3c for 4ws? Help Spence Electronics 14 01-30-2020 04:45 AM
Flysky GT3B Modded for 3-8 channels, Dual Esc & 4WS Mixing, Plus More losikid Vendors Electronics 28 01-03-2017 03:30 PM
modded flysky and 4ws/dual esc help Newfie Electronics 8 06-12-2013 06:25 AM