Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Looking for some input to sway radio choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Looking for some input to sway radio choice

Need to get a radio for my Summit based project I'm working on. Torn between getting the OE radio, or a FlySky FS-GT5 I found on Amazon.
Both are about the same price, but a little dubious of FlySky but the extra channels would be nice.
OE does have some kind of BT/telemetry module available, could be nice but doesn't matter too much to me. Plus being an extra buy lessens my interest.

Anyone have some input on one over the other, or experience with this specific FlySky radio?
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Looking for some input to sway radio choice

The G53C is 'good', but in the lowest-end of mid-range radios. The GT5 is definitely better...but, even it isn't all that great. If you want to consider a FlySky, I'd HIGHLY recommend checking out their Noble NB4. When originally released, it only supported 4 channels...but, with the latest firmware, it supports up to 12 channels. Plus, it has telemetry options available.

My neighbor bought one, and it's amazing. It has almost all the functionality you'd find in the top-tier offerings from Spektrum & Futaba, as well as outstanding build quality (aluminum & high-quality plastic, as opposed to the "cheap" plastic used in the GT3C & GT5), at approx 1/3 the price. Like the Futaba 7PX, it has a touch screen. Retail price is typically around $200-250, depending on whether it's packaged with 1 or 2 receivers (and which). Additionally, they will be releasing a new "Pro" variant on 10/10/21, although no information about it has been revealed (or even leaked).

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I’ve used a bunch of rtr radios (including Traxxas), and finally broke down and bought a Flysky gt5. I highly recommend it, it’s worked well for me, receivers are cheap, setting end points is simple and quick. Plus it feels nicer to use than all the rtr radios I’ve had.

I haven’t used any of the big name brand radios though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

GT5 is an easy recommendation. I have 4 of them. Not high end, but definitely not cheap either. Can’t beat it for the money.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
The G53C is 'good', but in the lowest-end of mid-range radios. The GT5 is definitely better...but, even it isn't all that great. If you want to consider a FlySky, I'd HIGHLY recommend checking out their Noble NB4. When originally released, it only supported 4 channels...but, with the latest firmware, it supports up to 12 channels. Plus, it has telemetry options available.

My neighbor bought one, and it's amazing. It has almost all the functionality you'd find in the top-tier offerings from Spektrum & Futaba, as well as outstanding build quality (aluminum & high-quality plastic, as opposed to the "cheap" plastic used in the GT3C & GT5), at approx 1/3 the price. Like the Futaba 7PX, it has a touch screen. Retail price is typically around $200-250, depending on whether it's packaged with 1 or 2 receivers (and which). Additionally, they will be releasing a new "Pro" variant on 10/10/21, although no information about it has been revealed (or even leaked).

Does look like a pretty nice radio, but more than I'm looking to spend. No real plans for something long term or multi model so just looking for something cheapishly decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’ve used a bunch of rtr radios (including Traxxas), and finally broke down and bought a Flysky gt5. I highly recommend it, it’s worked well for me, receivers are cheap, setting end points is simple and quick. Plus it feels nicer to use than all the rtr radios I’ve had.

I haven’t used any of the big name brand radios though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the recommendation vote. I've had Futabas in the past, and my first non-frequency radio was a Nomadio. But with no real plans for doing much else with RC, just looking something on the lower $$ side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
GT5 is an easy recommendation. I have 4 of them. Not high end, but definitely not cheap either. Can’t beat it for the money.
Thanks, sounds like it's just what I'm looking for.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:27 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

What's the issue here? Many people, including myself, use the GT5 & you can't beat it for the price. It's been around for a few years now & it's proven to be a good, reliable radio. Not sure where your hesitancy is coming from. You won't do better for the price.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:59 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

GT5...hands down winner for your choice. Better feel, more channels, much easier to program endpoint and channels.
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

When I was in a similar situation, I ended up going with the GT5. No regrets. Great radio as mentioned many times above. That said, they've supposedly teased about a new radio coming out soon. Think they plan to release the info on Oct 10th. You may want to wait if you're not in a hurry.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:08 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
When I was in a similar situation, I ended up going with the GT5. No regrets. Great radio as mentioned many times above. That said, they've supposedly teased about a new radio coming out soon. Think they plan to release the info on Oct 10th. You may want to wait if you're not in a hurry.
The new radio is supposedly going to be a "pro" version of the Noble NB4 (which, itself, is already better than the GT5).

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The GT5 is a superb radio at the pricepoint-- which happens to be lower than what I typically pay for a decent servo. I would never hesitate to recommend one. I foolishly have 4 rigs hooked up to a single Spektrum DX5C and I dislike it so much (the power button and the scroll wheel are enough to make a person want to throw the transmitter off of a bridge) that I'm gradually adding GT5s until the DX5 will be removed from the fleet.

GT5 > any OEM radio, and absolutely GT5 > DX5C.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:01 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I ended up getting an FS GT5, haven't used it yet but just looking it over out of the box I'm impressed for the price point.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I have no complaints at all with my GT5.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:23 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Just to follow up, having used my GT5 now and set it up on my Capra, I am exceedingly happy with it.
Perfect for setting up both dig and rear steering, and survived a complete dunk in the drink after I slipped on some rocks and made a splash.
Only thing I wish it had was a button to switch 4WS steering type instead of having to go into the menu. I set the rear steer up on the knob channel just above the steering wheel.
I also just noticed recently a small plug in the battery compartment, looks like it's ready to accept a TX pack.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:41 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
I also just noticed recently a small plug in the battery compartment, looks like it's ready to accept a TX pack.
Yep, you can plug in any 2S LiPo that will fit in the battery compartment (and has a JST plug on it.) I used to use some 1000mah super-cheap packs from Amazon (Urgenex) but found that the QC on those batteries is... not consistent. Have had one puff in the radio, and one blow up on the charger. So if you're looking for LiPo, look elsewhere.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:28 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Yep, you can plug in any 2S LiPo that will fit in the battery compartment (and has a JST plug on it.) I used to use some 1000mah super-cheap packs from Amazon (Urgenex) but found that the QC on those batteries is... not consistent. Have had one puff in the radio, and one blow up on the charger. So if you're looking for LiPo, look elsewhere.
I was actually thinking of using a couple of Vapecell 14500(AA size) cells in parallel and rewiring the battery tray so I can easily pop them in and out and charge on my regular cell charger.

On another note, I was just noticing a button on the TX, ST. DR. Little mention other than identifying it in the manual as "Steering D/R"
I'm guessing this is Dual Rate, but hoping it may be direction as in like when 4WS is activated it can be a button controlled switch between same/opposite steering F&R. Can anyone confirm or deny?

On another nother note, I also recently found the RX has a built in gyroscope! While useless as far as I can think in crawling, I do want to go in and check the settings and disable a few of the settings with it that look like they may be enabled.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:03 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

For price it's hard to beat Radiolink, plus their receivers are incredibly tiny and cheap at only $17. less than an inch and .1oz
Transmitter is Comfortable for lager hands as well

https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Rec...50&sr=8-8&th=1

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 01-31-2023 at 12:12 PM.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:03 PM   #17
RCC Addict

GT-5 Is a nice radio. I prefer the Radiolink RC6GS mysefl. While the Flysky is more user friendly in terms of radio layout, I much prefer the adaptability and programming options that come with Radiolinks.
But you wont be bummed at all with the GT5. Is a pretty capable radio.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:04 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Also running a gr5 here, has been great. Just ordered a radiolink rc4gs to use with my trx4, was about $30 cheaper than the gt5, and seems to be well reviewed as well.
islandlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for some input to sway radio choice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want input for hh brushless motor choice ssdub33 Electronics 0 02-27-2014 12:58 AM
Radio choice WAM Axial XR10 42 02-19-2012 05:10 PM
Radio choice - please help DiggyStyle Electronics 7 10-17-2011 12:17 AM
Radio of choice? Jeephead Tamiya CR-01 4 12-24-2008 10:07 AM
radio choice zach Electronics 8 12-08-2008 09:11 PM