Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Reef's RC Triple 5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2023, 10:05 PM   #1

Default Reef's RC Triple 5

I tried to do some digging the other night and came up with little to no good info. Perhaps somebody here can help answer some of my questions. I bought a Triple 5 some years ago when I built my bomber. Sticker on the front says "titanium gears". I've noticed all they have now on the website is the Triple 5 V2 & the front is labelled "Steel Gears". Reef's website doesn't say anything about how the V2 is different, or if it really matters.

So anyways, I'm bumping the T5 over to my Capra. The anal side of me wanted matching servos for the front & rear. I ordered a new servo off eBay - Triple 5, titanium gears... Except the servo that showed up says "steel gears" on the servo & on the back of the plastic case it says they are "titanium coated gears".

I checked Reefs website as they have an image of the back card which just says "steel gears". I dug up the case my old servo came in & it says "all titanium gears". It seems there have been a few revisions over the life of these gears.

The pic on the eBay listing represents a different servo but the description lists "titanium coated gears". My fault for missing that. It is a little annoying but I don't think it's worth making a stink about it. Didn't pay any more for this one than I would have another Triple 5 listing.

What do you guys think? Anybody know of any other changes? I imagine they'd be negligible...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Siq6Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2023, 04:58 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Reef's RC Triple 5

I doubt they where ever all titanium. Not cost effective and they don't make good gears. If they did I would bet they would be in every F1 car because cost isn't a option. They do a coating with titanium but it's not pure titanium to reduce friction, but it doesn't last forever and your left with the base metal eventually. Better off starting with hardened steel to begin with.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:28 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Aloha I use mostly reefs servos and they are not titanium gears and never have been only the servos that state titanium gears only have a a coating of titanium over the steel gears for improved rigidity and wear and tear! I hope this helps
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxus View Post
I doubt they where ever all titanium. Not cost effective and they don't make good gears. If they did I would bet they would be in every F1 car because cost isn't a option. They do a coating with titanium but it's not pure titanium to reduce friction, but it doesn't last forever and your left with the base metal eventually. Better off starting with hardened steel to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman108 View Post
Aloha I use mostly reefs servos and they are not titanium gears and never have been only the servos that state titanium gears only have a a coating of titanium over the steel gears for improved rigidity and wear and tear! I hope this helps
Ok, so they likely updated their packaging to be more accurate with their description from the early runs of the servos... I figured that much anyway. Something I just saw this morning, Reef's only sells their V2 replacement gears now as well. They link to Exocaged's video where he's talking about the gears, specifically. Apparently the V2 gears are stronger.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:51 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siq6Six View Post
Ok, so they likely updated their packaging to be more accurate with their description from the early runs of the servos... I figured that much anyway. Something I just saw this morning, Reef's only sells their V2 replacement gears now as well. They link to Exocaged's video where he's talking about the gears, specifically. Apparently the V2 gears are stronger.
That is correct and they are
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:16 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

You can probably get gears from AGFrc...they make those servos for reefs
themountain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:53 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The 555 is a slow turd. I've broken a few of them in various ways but the most fun was popping the splines off of the output gear and being told it was my fault for running a screw that wasn't long enough. Love hearing that it's my fault for using the supplied hardware and not knowing to use something else.

There are way better servos out there at the same price points as reefs overpriced, way over hyped junk.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
The 555 is a slow turd. I've broken a few of them in various ways but the most fun was popping the splines off of the output gear and being told it was my fault for running a screw that wasn't long enough. Love hearing that it's my fault for using the supplied hardware and not knowing to use something else.

There are way better servos out there at the same price points as reefs overpriced, way over hyped junk.
It is slow that's why I'm putting them on a Capra! The bought an NSD RS800 for the Bomber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
You can probably get gears from AGFrc...they make those servos for reefs
I read somewhere that these servos are all pretty much made from the same couple companies & Reefs/NSD/Shift buy & brand the servos that meet higher tolerance requirements.. and the ones that don't go to the NoName Amazon sellers. Not surprising, computer companies do the same with motherboard's, RAM, SSD's.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2023, 10:20 PM   #9

So I had about 15 minutes in the garage before the woman got home and started bickering. Enough time to pull the body off the Capra & mount the servos.. Looks like their 3x10 screw thats recommended for this servo bottoms out about 3mm too soon. I’m a bit leery to force the screw deeper into the servo mount. Are these known to have gunk or something else built up at the bottom of the threads? The screw threads down nice and smooth, until it doesn’t… No issues w/ on my old Triple5.

Reef's RC Triple 5 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on Reef's 777 DCD Axial Capra 4 07-02-2020 12:46 PM
Reef's micro servo Traulus Axial SCX10 III 6 05-05-2020 04:41 AM
NEW Reef's RC Items - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 08-28-2019 12:01 PM
NEW Reef's RC Items - Coming Soon! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 08-26-2019 04:23 PM
New Items from Reef's RC Products! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-31-2019 03:06 PM