Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: switch to brushless...worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default switch to brushless...worth it?

I am running a 2.2 TLT, 12.5" WB, with a Tekin Rebel 2, Integy 55T, and 7 Energizer 2500 mah AA batteries. Is the switch to brushless with a Mamba 25 and a recommended motor worth the switch? I have not driven a rig with this setup, so I am not familiar. But, there is a truck that trail rides with our group of friends, and his truck has crazy torque with that setup.

Is a brushless setup more prone to rolling on a hill/ slant, or can the speedo be programmed or adjusted? Also, will NiMH get the job done, or is Li-Po essential?

I want to build a rig for my son, and I may pull the speedo and motor from my crawler and replace with a brushless.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The biggest reason I went with brushless is the drag braking. On a hill the vehicle will not run away, like it does with a brushed setup.

Here's a clip of my 2.2 with a Mamba Max and GWS motor:

A good setup, if you don't want to completely jump into brushless, is to just get a Mamba Max and run a brushed motor. The Mamba Max can run either a brushless or a brushed motor and be completely programmable with both. Meaning you can use drag braking on a brushed motor. The Mamba Max can be programmed using a computer and the included usb cable.
The Mamba 25 requires a separately purchased Castle Link to be programmed with a computer. And is brushless only.

NiMH will work just fine as long as you use high quality batteries.

Last edited by SVEN; 03-30-2007 at 09:17 AM.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
RCC Addict

do it... i have yet to see a "I hate my brushless" thread.

All the reasons SEVN said plus, no maintenance, lighter body, and that ohh soo cool sound they make.

mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I would say it is worth it, but a nice brushed motor is always good too (especially ran with the mamba max). You will need different batteries, as AA cells wont cut it. Lipo is not needed though.

As far as sidehilling, if you get a lot of torque twist with your rig now, you will get more when you add power.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I missed the AA part. They work ok for brushed, but when I tried them with brushless the performance was terrible.

8 Intellect 1400mah 2/3 A cells from Holmes is about the same price as 8 Energizers from Walmart. I've been using the Intellects for about 1 1/2 months with great results.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

So, is the Mamba 25 and Holmes Revolver the preferred setup?
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You shave weight and add torque, gain drag brake, some make a high pitch sound that can be anoying but I like it.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:39 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks View Post
So, is the Mamba 25 and Holmes Revolver the preferred setup?

It is one setup that works out of many combinations. Preferences vary.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I was ready to bite the bullet and go brushless - before I educated myself a little on how brushed motors actually work and how to tune them. I'm getting really good stall-free performance w/ plenty of power out of my brushed setup now, due to a combination of a more suitable esc and a properly tuned motor.
I'm currently running an Integy 65t lathe w/ a Viper RV15.
Quote:
Is a brushless setup more prone to rolling on a hill/ slant
From what I've read I'd say less prone. It also depends on the esc. The RV15 I'm using now has the best braking of any simpler, cheaper esc I've used. It will sit on quite an incline IF you get it to stop there first. If the motor's already turning, it allows the rig to roll much easier but still has a brake effect. But if I can stop the rig dead on a steep incline, I can sit there indefinitely.
Quote:
or can the speedo be programmed or adjusted?
That is one of the plusses of a brushless system, the esc's are generally a lot more programmable. You can tweak the Mamba's via a link to your pc, and they have a huge range of adaptability.
I'd still go brushless if money was not an issue for me now. A brushless set up sounds so much more versatile, you still get the grunt torque needed for crawling, but the very same set up will be capable of generating much more wheelspeed.
I was able to get the performance I wanted with not too many changes to my current set up and not a lot of cash, so I went that route. I'll go brushless one of these days, though...

Last edited by Big Mike; 03-31-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Abso-friggin-lutely

But you knew I was gonna say that.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:33 PM   #11
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Ive done it twice and love every minute of it, went from a 55t/moped to a MM and hyperion and I have the same wheel speed but WAY more torque, it totally changed the way I drive. I'm putting a RR2/mamba25 combo in my landrover scaler now
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:02 AM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
But if I can stop the rig dead on a steep incline, I can sit there indefinitely.
How steep though? Not very I'm guessing. The braking effect gets a BIG part of it's effect from the power/quality in the magnets in the motor.

I've tried some high end brushed motors that run cobalt magnets with HUGE brushes and coms in them. Powerful,yes they were....braking wise,not really impressed. They might have stayed put on a 45 degree slope.

With the Mamba Max/Hyperion.....I've literally hung my truck on a near vertical ledge while deciding whether to NAIL the throttle or ease down to the bottom.

With me though.....I usually just NAIL IT

Brushless all the way,build bombproof first though

Gobucks,
Even if I was on a budget,theres no question,it'd still have a Mamba Max ESC. I'd probably start with a MM ESC and run a brushed 21-27t motor,then upgrade to a Hyperion later.

Holmes Hobbies can hook you up with everything you need.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

To run a mamba max esc on 2 motor set up do we need 2 esc's, does anyone have pics of a 2 motor setup with a mamba max, and does the mamba need any type of resistors, i might be saying that wrong but those things sodered onto the motor along with the wires

thanks
juan916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
Official Cook of the ECC

Can't run 2 motors with one brushless esc. You need 2.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I was told you can run two motors with a Mamba Max..
Azcats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #16
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattman View Post
Can't run 2 motors with one brushless esc. You need 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azcats1 View Post
I was told you can run two motors with a Mamba Max..

Brushed motor maybe,not brushless.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #17
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Brushed motor maybe,not brushless.
2 brushed motors no limit, but only 1 brushless, there is no brushless esc setup that can run dual motors
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
The biggest reason I went with brushless is the drag braking. On a hill the vehicle will not run away, like it does with a brushed setup.

Here's a clip of my 2.2 with a Mamba Max and GWS motor:

A good setup, if you don't want to completely jump into brushless, is to just get a Mamba Max and run a brushed motor. The Mamba Max can run either a brushless or a brushed motor and be completely programmable with both. Meaning you can use drag braking on a brushed motor. The Mamba Max can be programmed using a computer and the included usb cable.
The Mamba 25 requires a separately purchased Castle Link to be programmed with a computer. And is brushless only.

NiMH will work just fine as long as you use high quality batteries.
That is sweet, dose your gearing combo have anything to do with the braking as well or is that all ESC? I'm curently running a Mamba25/Revolver (1st Gen) combo and would like more braking power.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:57 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I had problems with my brushless, but thats cause I can be special. After FEW Days of tinkerin and asking questions, no more problems.
Nlee111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:21 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
That is sweet, dose your gearing combo have anything to do with the braking as well or is that all ESC? I'm curently running a Mamba25/Revolver (1st Gen) combo and would like more braking power.
Thanks.
Gearing was 12/88 through a Losi triple-X tranny and using a GWS brushless motor in the video. I would say it is more the Mamba Max than the gearing, because I have very similar braking with a Lathe/MM and 15/88 gearing.
However, if I had been using my Hyperion z3013 instead of the GWS, the bug probably would not have been rolling at all. It's a whole different animal than the smaller brushless motors. I have to be careful when driving down a hill, because if I let off the throttle too quick the vehicle will roll forwards.

I have the drag brakes set to 100% whether I use a brushed or brushless. I also have my EPA's on my radio set to maximum. Everyone who drives my rigs say it is too touchy, because I set everything to maximum and let my finger do the controlling. That way I have maximum whatever when I need it.

I don't know, maybe I do gear lower than other people, but I like to gear as low as I can and add cells to get more speed.

Oh, and I still think brushless is worth it.

Last edited by SVEN; 04-02-2007 at 01:31 AM.