Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dumb Lathe Motor Wiring Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2005, 10:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Dumb Lathe Motor Wiring Question...

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I did use the search and could not find an answer. This is the first time that I'm gonna install caps on a motor and on the lathe motor, there are two sets of metal thingy where I can solder things on...Can I solder the caps on one side and the wires on the other? Or... Do I have to solder them on the same side.

Thanks in advance
beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Same side
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Lightbulb

HOW TO ... INSTALL MOTOR CAPACITORS

http://www.teamnovak.com/How_to/mot_cap/Mot_cap.htm

RockDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDragon
HOW TO ... INSTALL MOTOR CAPACITORS

http://www.teamnovak.com/How_to/mot_cap/Mot_cap.htm

I know how to install the caps... I was just not sure if I can Install the wires on the other set of pins instead of the same side where the caps are going.

OK here is another Question? I am going to wire the ESC to the rear motor and from the rear motor to the front. ( This was recommended by UTRCRC to eliminate stalls ) so I figure I'll give it a try......Since I am already installing caps on the rear motor, Do I need to install them on the front also? My theory is that there is already caps in the loop, what ever interferance or spike will be suppresed by them so caps in the front would be redundant. OR am I just CRAZY
Old 03-10-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast
I know how to install the caps... I was just not sure if I can Install the wires on the other set of pins instead of the same side where the caps are going.

OK here is another Question? I am going to wire the ESC to the rear motor and from the rear motor to the front. ( This was recommended by UTRCRC to eliminate stalls ) so I figure I'll give it a try......Since I am already installing caps on the rear motor, Do I need to install them on the front also? My theory is that there is already caps in the loop, what ever interferance or spike will be suppresed by them so caps in the front would be redundant. OR am I just CRAZY
I would reccomend putting CAPs on Every motor you run. They each create radio "noise". Make sure you wire them in PARALLEL.
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Lightbulb

Yes! beast, it's OK to install the wires on the other set of pins instead of the same side where the caps are going. The shorter the wire is, the better. But why do that ??? Novek's recomentation is the best way to go.

For your other question ... by theory, you're right that there is already caps in the loop, what ever interferance or spike will be suppresed by them. This will work well for tripping the power switch on-off in electronic circuit. But for motors, the arking that is created by the comm rubbing the brushes is non stop until the motor stops spinning. Therefore the best is to solder the caps as close as possible to the brushes. Hope this will not confuse you!!!

Just remenber that your ESC and receiver are in the middle of the 2 motors ...
Old 03-10-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDragon
Yes! beast, it's OK to install the wires on the other set of pins instead of the same side where the caps are going. The shorter the wire is, the better. But why do that ??? Novek's recomentation is the best way to go.

For your other question ... by theory, you're right that there is already caps in the loop, what ever interferance or spike will be suppresed by them. This will work well for tripping the power switch on-off in electronic circuit. But for motors, the arking that is created by the comm rubbing the brushes is non stop until the motor stops spinning. Therefore the best is to solder the caps as close as possible to the brushes. Hope this will not confuse you!!!

Just remenber that your ESC and receiver are in the middle of the 2 motors ...

The reason why I wanted to separate the caps and the wires is becasue I'm not to good with a soldering iron and did not want to mess them up. but I guess I will be putting on caps on both motors. I paid 120 for my super rooster and dont want to fry it anytime soon... Thanks for the great explanation and No i did not get confuse...
Old 03-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Lightbulb