Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics
Loading

Notices

Thread: Charger question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Easthampton
Posts: 747
Default Charger question

i searched and didn't find a definitive answer.

i just bought a new charger to use with my boat. when it asks you to set the threshold whats that mean(3mv-20mv)? I'm using a 6 cell NIMH 3600 pack

what should it be set at? I've never really dealt with good chargers before

any help?
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Superior wi
Posts: 172
Default

if you really want to get techincal waht kind of pack is it? is it a cheap stick pack or a high quality matched cells, do you equaliise? but for 3600's you should go with 3mv
Silverdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Easthampton
Posts: 747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdirt View Post
if you really want to get techincal waht kind of pack is it? is it a cheap stick pack or a high quality matched cells, do you equaliise? but for 3600's you should go with 3mv
thanks for the info.as for the pack , i bought 2 packs from Cheapbatterypacks.com.the cells say Elite 3600
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Superior wi
Posts: 172
Default

another question are you discharging before you charge? otherwise leave at 3mv and dont worry about
Silverdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Official Cook of the ECC
 
Scattman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hawthorne, Florida
Posts: 2,653
Default

3mv is probably a tad bit low. Most likely won't even get warm there. You can start there but you will find that 5-7mv will be best.

You want the batt. warm at the end of the charge. Not hot, just warm.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Superior wi
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattman View Post
3mv is probably a tad bit low. Most likely won't even get warm there. You can start there but you will find that 5-7mv will be best.

You want the batt. warm at the end of the charge. Not hot, just warm.
he was asking about peak thresehold not charging amps, totally different
Silverdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Easthampton
Posts: 747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdirt View Post
he was asking about peak thresehold not charging amps, totally different
ya my first charge was a 10 hour charge at .3mah, then normal charge is 3 amps and fast charge is 5.

thanks for your help
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
Official Cook of the ECC
 
Scattman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hawthorne, Florida
Posts: 2,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdirt View Post
he was asking about peak thresehold not charging amps, totally different
No kidding Einstein. I don't see once where I say anything about the charging amps. He asked about the mv setting and thats what I said. You told him 3mv, and I said that 3 was a little low, may end up being 5 or 6. You don't know a definate number till you see what the pack likes best.

So if you wanna correct somebody, make sure you know what the hell you're talking about.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Columbia TN
Posts: 6,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattman View Post
No kidding Einstein.
So if you wanna correct somebody, make sure you know what the hell you're talking about.
BURN!!!!!!
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Easthampton
Posts: 747
Default

thanks scattman. the pack worked perfect set at 5mv.
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC
 
JohnRobHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Volt up! Gear down!
Posts: 20,258
Default

Nimh peaks at about 140f. If they are not getting that hot you are not getting a full charge.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #12
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Easthampton
Posts: 747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
Nimh peaks at about 140f. If they are not getting that hot you are not getting a full charge.
i was keeping an eye on them with my temp gun throughout the charging, they highest temp i got was like 132f. that should be good right?
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:00 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Superior wi
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattman View Post
No kidding Einstein. I don't see once where I say anything about the charging amps. He asked about the mv setting and thats what I said. You told him 3mv, and I said that 3 was a little low, may end up being 5 or 6. You don't know a definate number till you see what the pack likes best.

So if you wanna correct somebody, make sure you know what the hell you're talking about.
do you even own a high end charger? do you even know what peak thresehold is? dont be a A$$ your talking charge rates and yes your right on those. and i was only recommending what my similar packs use. and vould i ask what charger your using exactly

Last edited by Silverdirt; 05-21-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Silverdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave
 
TLTCrawlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 2,489
Default

5-7mv is right, thats what I told him on AIM, and yes I sold him the charger, so im pretty sure im right on this one. I charge all my packs at 1.5-2.5amps on 5-7mv. The amps so low because more runtime then punch (punch goes down fast, so myswell go for runtime)


Ill be sending you a letter with the manuals/setup guide, I forgot to send with you, I found them yesterday. You want em?, if so pm me with ur addy.
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #15
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC
 
JohnRobHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Volt up! Gear down!
Posts: 20,258
Default

132f is close enough if you dont care about a bit more runtime. If you want a higher voltage or fuller charge just bump up the mV a bit more.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com