Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: dig servo problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default dig servo problem

well i just got my new truck up and running and i have already screwed up three servos

here is the setup:
quark procar esc
dx3 tx/rx
7 cell 2/3 elite batteries
novak nitro servo regulator to power the steering servo (hitec 5955 and the dig servo)

Where to begin: (I actually have multiple problems)

1) the esc doesnt always want to work. i can turn it one and here the three different beeps (like normal) but it wont respond to the tx. so then i turn it off and turn it back on. i get the same three beeps........sometimes it works and other times i just have to keep turning it off and then on until it wants to respond. wtf?????????

2) for some reason either when i turn it on or when i am just driving it around on the floor, the dig servo suddenly throws one way and just locks up. it locked up my jr st125 servo and just stripped a brand new towerpro995 gears inside. the other servo that i had originally used on my previous 2.2 was a hitec 645. Now this situations is weird. everytime i would pull the trigger to go, the servo would also move and just kick the dig around in all ways.

anyone got any fixes or trouble shooting solutions. also for those of you runnning dig on a dx3, what do you have the f3+ and f3- set at?
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

hmmmm....
sounds to me like you plugged the servo into the wrong channel port on the reciever. Make sure your dig servo is on the 3rd channel. And as far as steering and throttle, I am not sure if steering goes in channel 1 or 2, same with throttle, but just make sure your dig in the 3rd channel port.

Hope this helps some.
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

sounds like you need new esc and rx!
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #4

The f3+ and F3- will probably be set up different for everybody truck. My f3+ is 98 and f3- is 0 and the sub trim is 66.

The 2 servos may be overloading the max amps of the voltage regulator. Have you tried it with a rx pack instead? On my quark I usually have to give it foward throttle before it will do all the beeps. Have you programed it for the first time yet? You'll need about 3-4 hands.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

got programmed up and yeah it took a little while. It is a brand new esc. hopefully it isnt the rx. everything is plugged in the right spots. i havent thought about it overloading the regulator.

what do you think about powering the dig servo from the quark bec and the steering servo from the regulator?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #6

That might work. Try a rx pack and see what happens, if it works with it then you know it's the VR getting overloaded.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

On my last setup I had two 645mg's on my TLT (one steering, one dig) powered by 7 cells through a Novak voltage reg. The regulator would get very hot. It would melt off of the servo tape that was holding it down.
I would not be surprised if the 5955/645 combo would cause problems. Like Joey said, try a reciever pack and if that works then you know it's the Regulator causing the problem.

I haven't had any overheating issues since switching to an HS-81mg Dig servo.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
RCC Addict

okay so I got the servo problem fixed. the regulator was just getting over worked. now i have another problem, the dang esc gets too hot in about a minute or two and goes into failsafe mode and shuts down until it cuts off. anyone got some suggestions.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:46 PM   #9

Weird??? What motor and what gearing? How is the wheel speed? You would thing if 2 would work on my super than 1 would work on your 2.2
The quark sould be super smooth. How long does it shut down? Mine never even get real warm on the super.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #10
RCC Addict

i am using a 13 tooth pinion with a 7 cell pack. it would shut down until it cooled down. i checked my wiring and everything about 50 billion times. i am wiring up a mamba maxx right now and will see how that works. the quark is smooth, it just gets hot as sh!t
Old 08-02-2007, 01:17 AM   #11
RCC Addict

yeah so i just got done wiring up a mamba maxx to the bm16 and drove it around the basement and sure enough, the mamba maxx got hot so i just turned it off and went to bed.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:12 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

did you disconnect the bec wire from the esc, when you added a rx pack!?

that would cause the esc to over heat and over hear in a hurry!
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:31 AM   #13
MWRCA'er

When you turn the truck on you turn the radio on first right? sometimes those spektrum radios need a few seconds to find a signal.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #14
RCC Addict

the radio is one first. i got that problem fixed, but the problem now is the esc getting hot fast. the bec wire is still in to power the reciever and the dig servo. i am not running a rx pack. i am using a voltage regulator for the hitec 5955 and running the dig servo off of the esc. it is weird

Last edited by yukon635; 08-02-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #15

So your running a rx pack and the bec from the esc? Take the red wire out of the esc, run the dig servo off the rx pack. Or take the rx pack out and run the dig servo off the bec of the esc. I bet that the problem having the rx pack and the bec from the esc together.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #16
RCC Addict

woops sorry joey, typo. i am not running an rx pack and using the bec to run the dig servo.

well i just put ol reliable in (OG revolver) to see if it is the motor that is the problem since i have tried two esc's. plus i would like to get some freakin practice driving in before next weekend.

Another thing that i ran into is that the sw3 is not compatible with a R2 and a magnetic mayhem. i was just going to go back to the brushed motor for the smoothness but the dang thing wont fit without some fabbing of another bracket to mount the tranny

Last edited by yukon635; 08-02-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

So is your ESC turned on with the extra BEC plugged in too?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #18
RCC Addict

yeah the esc is on cause i have to power the dx3 reciever and the dig servo. the regulator is just powering the steering servo
Old 08-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Check your dig servo, my bm-16 mamba max combo didn't get very hot and it was in my super, sounds like the only constant in the equasion is the servo, maybe its going bad and pulling to many amps. Also the cool bec from Mr Holmes would be a good upgrade, it would probably run both servos easy, I know it gets my robot servos good and warm and the cool bec is just that.......cool.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #20
RCC Addict

well i spent hours crawling today and the same thing happened except this time it was with my OG revolver and mamba maxx. It lasted longer than the bm16 but still cut off. the dang motor and the R2 got hot as crap. I even tried to run the reciever/dig servo off of a rx pack and it still got hot. I am about frustrated enough to go back to the brushed motor with a mamba maxx.

set up now:
hitec 5955 running off of the voltage regulator
mamba maxx w/ bec wire plugged in for dig and reciever
OG revolver w/ 9T pinion
7 cell elite pack
R2

I was thinking that with gearing the motor down so low and causing the motor to spin a lot more, that that caused the excess heat from the motor and R2 but the dang mamba maxx still got hot. I have been over my setup thousands of times but dont see anything wrong.