Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ESC choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default ESC choices

Hello, let me start by saying: I bet money that I have read more posts on this forum than anyone has in a 2 week period! I'm talking several hundred posts and several hours (I know over 20). So there is no way that I can retain all of that info, but I'm trying.

Now, from what I have read:
You guys hate a reverse delay. And I'm assuming that double pump reverse is out of the question, but not mentioned much (from the ESC choices that yall make).

I have:
Novak Super Sport - Push brake once then return to nuetral to go to reverse. Yall would use this for a trail rig but not climbing.
Novak GTB - Same type of reverse operation
LRP Sphere - Push brake and it applies breaks, then when tires come to a complete stop, it enters reverse. I think this is the perfect setup for climbing and trailing. Or do yall prefer it to go directly into reverse & not hold brake when you first mash them?
1- Am I on the money? Has anyone used any of these ESC's with thier rig? I think the Sphere is going to do great. I ordered 2 Axial Scorpions and Hope they come in tomorrow. Just been reading my self to death trying to see what yall like and the different problems you all encounter.
2- I love the 4 wheel steering idea. Being able to turn it off and on by modding a TQ3. But I remember reading about someone with a JR XS3 that said that would not do this with it's third channel (to many threads read to go back and look now-I have used the search tool until my monitor is indented on that spot!) Can someone elaborate on the XS3 being able to turn the rear stearing on & off?
3- I want to be able to use this, but I want the rear to center before turning off. I like the new "Rock Crawler Dual Steering Computer" but don't want to buy one right now... BUT! I definately want one, if you guys have had good luck with it (coments on this thing please).

Thanks in advance (still reading, but I need to get back to my other non RC life )

Last edited by NitroStar; 08-22-2007 at 08:38 AM.
NitroStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Do any of those ESCs run brushed motors? For some reason I remember reading the lrp does.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

straight to reverse will allow you to save a rollover if you're verticle. the delay will kill you.
You also want something with a programable drag brake. also look at what voltage the bec allows and if it will run BL or brushed sensorless or sensored.
I just switched to a mamba max and do not regret it one bit. great esc!!!!
vypr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The TQ3 mod dosn't turn the rear steer on or off but controls the rear steering, left/center/right.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vypr2002 View Post
straight to reverse will allow you to save a rollover if you're verticle. the delay will kill you.
You also want something with a programable drag brake. also look at what voltage the bec allows and if it will run BL or brushed sensorless or sensored.
I just switched to a mamba max and do not regret it one bit. great esc!!!!
All three will run brushless/brushed, but I'm sticking with my brushless motors for now. I can adjust drag brake on the Sphere & GTB (when using a BL motor), and only Minimum brake on the Super Sport. I'm thinking that I can adjust the drag brake to 100% on the Sphere and when I let off the throttle, it will start stopping quickly. Then slightly hit reverse and it will instantly go into reverse (this is the one that goes into reverse as soon as the motor stops going in forward - to protect gear train I guess). The only parameter it has to meet to go in reverse is for the motor to stop turning forward. And the Sphere has wicked breaks. I think this is the going to be the better one (instead of the GTB & SS).

I've got all these because I have raced off road trucks and buggies since 1990. I've got a Mamba Max coming in a RC10T4 that I am going to put in one of my Scorpions, but I'm just figuring out which other ESC I've got is going to be the best one for the other Scorpion (mine or my sons).
Old 08-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You might want to consider the Novak Rooster Crawler. It's designed specifically for rock crawling.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
You might want to consider the Novak Rooster Crawler. It's designed specifically for rock crawling.

2nd that! I got mine from RCP Crawlers and I love it so far, I dont know how I didnt have a ESC without drag brake before. Makes a huge difference

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStar View Post
I'm sticking with my brushless motors for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
2nd that! I got mine from RCP Crawlers and I love it so far, I dont know how I didnt have a ESC without drag brake before. Makes a huge difference
Don't you guys read?
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Yea, I'm sure I will wind up with Novak Brushless Crawler rigs eventually. I've been in the process for the last 3 months selling off most of my racing stuff so I can get into this crawling/trail riding stuff. My son and I are stoked. I can't wait until our Scorpions come in (maybe today). But I need to use what I've got for the time being. Just the best usable items of what I have right now. Don't even have any high turn motors yet, but if you can race a 2wd buggy, you've got plenty of throttle control! Just gonna play and have fun and see what else we need (motors, ESC's, tires, servos, 4w steering computer).

Still curious about the "Steering Computer" any of you use this yet? Sounds awesome.