Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Let's talk about Reciever packs!!! ASAP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Let's talk about Reciever packs!!! ASAP!!!

Reciever packs.... who runs them and what is your setup, type of batteries, amount of volts, etc. ?????

Need info ASAP as my booty fab reciever pack(x4 AA's) can't supply enough juice to control 2 servos!! Need more power by Saturday night as our Comp is Sunday morning!!
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2004, 04:59 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Let's talk about Reciever packs!!! ASAP!!!

You could solder up 5 x AAs to get 6 volts ........... I think most servos are rated up to that.

I looked for a battery tray that would hold 5 batteries but I had no luck

I to would like a better solution
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
Ace
Rock Crawler

Just run straight 7.2 main battery power to the reciever. I've done this in several rigs with no problems.

You are taking a risk (I think slight) but the torque is awsome.

When you think about it, the recievers are meant to run on 4 AA dry cells which are 6 volt so 7.2 isn't that much more...
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:44 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
Just run straight 7.2 main battery power to the reciever. I've done this in several rigs with no problems.

You are taking a risk (I think slight) but the torque is awsome.

When you think about it, the recievers are meant to run on 4 AA dry cells which are 6 volt so 7.2 isn't that much more...

If running 7.2 through the receiever doesn't hurt it(maybe) what about a pair of digital servos? How well can a set of digital servos handle probably more power than they were rated for?

To many questions!
Old 06-26-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

brett, you know how its been hard for me to run cause of my receiver pack? Well all is good now. I built a pack out of four 3300 nimh cells. It is awesome. Some people are going to say that you need to have 6 volts but I can tell you first hand that the 4.8 volts is plenty of power on my truck it man handles the fronts and has no problem with the rears. I am running the 1/4 servo up front and a super high torque in the back but 1/10. Digital servos suck up a ton of power because you are powering the motor in the servo allof the time it does not return to center on its own that is why you have an unbelievable amount of holding power. If you have any q's let me know. I picked up the 3300's raw from tammies for 5.50 each so for like 20 bucks you can have a killer pack. Ill even help you put it together if you need me too. Give me a call if you need anything for tomorrow sean 503.807.9408
hackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Sean, Thanks for the info. I'll probably just slap together a couple of 5-cell packs for tomorrow... that or just run many AA's to help power it all.

I tested it yesterday with just a simple x4 AA's but after about 10 minutes of crawling around I noticed that if the rear servo and front servo were both trying to turn at the same time under some stress everything would cut out. Just not enough juice to divide up between my digital 1/4 servo, digital 1/10 servo and reciever..... This rig already weighs enough so I guess adding a couple more pounds won't matter

We'll see how it turns out for the Comp... I have tires to groove tonight too, now that my dremel is working again, kinda :?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:54 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Here's a question for those of you who are running reciever packs:

Are any of you using them with a "Super Rooster"? If so, do you need to shut oiff the ESC's BEC, or does the reciever pack automatically overide this?

Any info here would be great.
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:26 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bRIBEGuy
Here's a question for those of you who are running reciever packs:

Are any of you using them with a "Super Rooster"? If so, do you need to shut oiff the ESC's BEC, or does the reciever pack automatically overide this?

Any info here would be great.
I made some 5-cell NiCd packs.... I removed the red wire going into the reciever from the Super Rooster. I have yet to have any problems so far, have about 5 packs through the setup now.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:46 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Red wire = BEC power then? Thanx. I origonally wanted to run the reciever pack so I could get the full 6v to my servos, not realizing that the SR BEC was 6v. Now I'm thinking it still might be a good idea just to lengthen run times. Will a reciever pack have a noticable effect on the running length of a battery?
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 01:30 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Are you guys plugging the 7.2 directly into the RX or are you useing a Y-harness to conect the batt to the servos ?
4XADICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I use a Y harness, an also I have a Venom 1100 mah pack and it alsts me about 1.5 hours of runtime...or about two battery packs...or 45+45...it's summer I can't add
Ultima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 02:13 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx
You could solder up 5 x AAs to get 6 volts ........... I think most servos are rated up to that.

I looked for a battery tray that would hold 5 batteries but I had no luck

I to would like a better solution
You might find some at radio shack? If not they might sell the parts to make a 5 cell pack.

I got a question for you guys with 2 1:4 scale servos:
Do you run one pack into each servo (so 2 packs total)? or
Do you run one pack into one servo and that also powers the other servo?
and while Im at it, is it nessacery to remove the BEC wire or will the packs just cut it out on its own? Thanks
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #13

Does anyone have a diagram of how stuff is supposed to be plugged in??
And I also need to find out if run time would be affected if you did hook it up straight to the battery and leave the AA's out
I'm new to the board and have heard that you guys are the know all tell all here. Thats why I'm here I can't seem to get any info on this subject anywhere else. Thanks in advance by the way the servo I'm trying to hook up is a 805 hiteck bb
rockslider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:30 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

[quote="rockslider42"]Does anyone have a diagram of how stuff is supposed to be plugged in??
I can't seem to get any info on this subject anywhere else.

Anyone????????? So many people talk about the red wire, some say yea, some say nay..........
willyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:32 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I had to remove the red wire from the ESC before everything worked right. I just removed it from the plug, folded it back and put some heat shrink on it. I don`t like cutting wires unless I have to.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:58 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Would switching the ESC's power switch off, and then plugging in a batter pack into the BAT plug on the receiver do the same thing as cutting the red wire?
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:52 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

or do you put a y harness with switch, battery and servo into the steering channel??????????????
willyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 12:10 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Ok , here is a complete rundown of how I have mine set up, I`m sure other people may run theirs different, and this may be the wrong way to run it but it works.

Heres how it works for me : I pluged my Rx pack into a switch harness that is conected to a Y harness for my rear servo. I removed the red wire from the plug for the ESC. So I have 2 switches, one for the ESC and one for the Rx. The Y harnees conects the batt and switch to the servo and plugs in the Rx, the front servo is pluged directly into the Rx on a seperate channel.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:26 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Sounds complicated :(

I tried my method last night, and it worked. I plugged the RX pack into the batt plug. I leave the ESC switched off, and as soon as I plug in the RX pack, the ESC turns itself on. And if I unplug the 7.2 battery, only the servos work, so I know my method is working. Now I will install a switch on the RX pack so I don't have to keep unplugging it to shut it down.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote