Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX6 DIG made easier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Default DX6 DIG made easier

First thing, This setup is designed for a clod based truck running separate front and rear ESC's with drag brakes. (IE) Mamba 25's, Max or similar..
Using a DX6 that has had the throttle return mod done

Works well with brushed motors works better with brushless

I originally did this setup on Unimogers Clod after we had used JIA's method and decided it wouldn't work with the new setup that included a winch down system. This method is also easier to drive for those who are not good at multi tasking or are finger retarded like me.
What it does is mix you're front and rear throttle to one stick then places dig on a 2 pos. switch

You're stick setup in the end will be: front and rear throttle on the left in the "normal" throttle pos., front steer is on the right with the left/right gimbal and rear on the up/down gimbal, which is what is most comfortable for us
you're left left/right gimbal will remain unused unless you with to place a winch or whatever on that channel

step 1: With you're radio off press both of you're scroll, increase buttons up and turn on the radio on, this will put you into you're sub menu.
step 2: Press scroll till "TYP" shows on you're screen, then press increase till "HE" appears
step 3: Restart you're radio
Step 4: With you're radio on press the scroll, increase buttons up at the same time to enter the sub menu
Step 5: Press scroll until "HLD" shows on the screen, then press decrease to -50%
Step 6: Press scroll till "CCP" shows then press increase till "off" shows, without that the truck will be impossible to drive.

Programming you're ESC's ( ours were done on Mamba Max's)
you will want to program the ESC's individually

Flip the throttle hold button (top right) toward you
plug front esc in and run setup as normal, unplug, then repeat for the rear.

Front setup. 60-75% drag
Rear setup 100% drag. you need this to be at 100% or you will not get the full effect of the dig
All other settings

Plugging in the servo's to the RX in the correct locations

Front throttle=AUX
Rear throttle=throttle
front steer=AILE
Rear steer=ELE

RUD: unused unless you want a winch or lights or whatever
Ger: unused

To activate dig

With the throttle hold (top right) in the away pos. the truck should have dig enabled and when its towards you it should be "normal"

We find its best to run the Mambas with the BEC disabled, simply pull the red wire from the RX harness on each and tape out of the way, don't cut them, and run a RX pack to prevent the Bec's from fighting each other and to provide maximum power to you're servo's

This program should work with DX7's and most any other 6+ channel computer radio w/ helicopter programming

Last edited by slobin3d; 09-16-2007 at 05:06 PM.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
06 Super National Champ

My setup is an A14 mix at 100% programmed to a (elevator dual rate) switch where I can turn the mix on or off.

Throttle channel is rear axle throttle
Rudder channel is front axle throttle
Front steer is ailerons
Rear steer is elevator

If I want a front dig I just move the throttle stick dead left with the mix on. Tthis drives the front only and the rear drag brake holds things in place.

For a rear dig I turn the mix off and move the throttle stick forward. Drag brake on the front holds the front in place and the rear pushes...I can make the truck pivot on a front tire.

Both ESCs are programmed for 100% drag brake.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 09-17-2007 at 03:26 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
I'm a stupid C U N T!

with my setup you lose the ability to control the rear separately like you can with yours but then you can't use the winch down on the suspension, because the DX6 doesn't have a 3pos switch. plus to move forward and reverse you only have to move one stick instead of 2 in a diagonal.

Both methods work, just for me I can't train my finger to operate like that
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
06 Super National Champ

I'm pretty sure that I could still use of the unused channels for a suspension winch. It'd just entail programming EPAs on that channel for each switch position.

When the DX6 is properly configured the way I run you don't need to move the throttle stick in a diagonal to go forward...just move it forward.

I've seen several folks get confused on that part of the mix. With the mix on, when I move my throttle stick forward both axles are driven forward.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I run JiA's way and like it a lot.

I'll give this a shot too.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I can tell you how to use the aux and the gear channel to controll a winch in and out......
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Go ahead! I'd like to know...
yelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

nice info.
earmarking this to help with my DX6i moa
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
Got Worms?

I have my dx6 setup to where when i have my mix on both axles go forward with the left up/down stick. My channels are set up to where the left stick is my rear esc and my right stick is my front esc and my front steering. So when the mix is on my rear esc is mixed with front but i still have complete control of the front esc via the right up/down stick so this will allow to cancel out unwanted stalls, also it is easy to dig, while i turn i just push up on the stick and the way i want to turn. Now if i turn off the mix i have complte control of both front (right stick) and rear esc's(left stick). Also when i mentioned earlier that my front esc is till active with the right stick when the mix is on i have it setup on the d/r i think to where i can shut that stick off but doesn't affect the mix, so i'm not accedintally affecting the front esc while i'm turning. Hope this makes sense its kinda hard to explain.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Default A nice trick

A nice trick i found is that I bound the Rudder (left stick, left/right) to the throttles with two separate mixes. Left runs the front motor forward, and right runs the rear motor forward. This gives you the ability to do front or rear dig and by pushing diagonal you can mix your throttles separately. Example: push stick up at 11 o'clock and you will have 80% front power and 50% rear power. Or if you really want to go crazy push it to 7 o'clock you will have front motor running forward and the rear motor pulling in reverse. This is sick for zero radius turns, but alas it will cost you 1 reverse point :p

This is on my DX7, as long as the DX6 gives you the option for 3 mixes this is a breeze.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brid96 View Post
This is sick for zero radius turns, but alas it will cost you 1 reverse point :p
I was told that i couldn't do that, but the way it turns is awesome, just spins in a circle like a top, lol
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #12

Default Re: DX6 DIG made easier

Ok so reading through this I seem to understand that no one has independent throttle set up everyone is using mixes. All I want is each stick to run the trucks motors independent. The left stick for front motor and front steering servo. And right stick for rear motor and no steering servo for the front. if there is a post on how to do this plz help and show me I may have missread one or two of the post it seems like this may be easy to do but I am have a hard time programming the dx6i that I have. Any help or hints would be very helpfull.
Satanicfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanicfly View Post
OK so reading through this I seem to understand that no one has independent throttle set up everyone is using mixes. All I want is each stick to run the trucks motors independent. The left stick for front motor and front steering servo. And right stick for rear motor and no steering servo for the front. if there is a post on how to do this plz help and show me I may have misread one or two of the post it seems like this may be easy to do but I am have a hard time programming the dx6i that I have. Any help or hints would be very helpful.
I would think this is easy.

Plug the front ESC into the channel handled by the left stick.
Plug the rear ESC into the channel handled by the right stick.
Set both sticks to "full forward" on the travel, EPA's to 100% (if you have them) trims to 0.
With the TX on, power up the rig & complete the calibration of the ESC's (you could do one at a time).
The ESC's should see "mid travel" as "stopped" and then forward or reverse depending on which way you move the sticks.

This is not "dig", but independent control of each motor.

BTW, what ESC's do you have??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #14

I am using 2 teken fxr's and how is it not dig? The stick in neutral will have the motor full lock up and the other stick Will have power to move rather the front or rear depending on what I would like the truck to do. If that makes sense and thank you I think I might have a chance but if I am wrong about the dig plz tell me
Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #15

Tekin*
Old 09-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

It's easy if you want independent drive.

I've tried driving like this but im hand retarded. I have a mix that I turn on and off depending when I need to.

Most of the time I use the one stick, I'm slowly getting better at driving separate.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #17

Ok, good to know hope I can operate it like I think I can but heres to hopeing