Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Perfect Combo ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Perfect Combo ?

Okay, I've been doing some digging and can't find a straight forward answer that I want. So, when time comes to build the crawler that I want there are two things that I want to do with it. Firstly, it will be based off WK axles, and if I have to up their strength, so be be it, but here is what I'm looking for.

1: Be able to crawl up some steep inclines and have all the torque that I need to get up them and over all the boulders in my area.

2: My property is flat and is mainly composed of crushed granite, real loose stuff. So if I want to, I'd like to be able to hammer on the throttle and have some high speed fun in the dirt and weeds.

So is there a Motor & ESC combo that I can put together that would give me these abilities? And suggestions and help is greatly appreciated!
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Thats a tough combo, the 2 usually dont exist together. maybe one of the novak crawler systems. maybe a RC4WD 2 speed tranny in the mix
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well, I was thinking the 2 speed tranny would play a role... and I don't wanna have to switch controllers every time I wanna open up the throttle.

What about the Mamba Maxx? Having 2 seperate profiles, one for crawling and then another for speed?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Well, I was thinking the 2 speed tranny would play a role... and I don't wanna have to switch controllers every time I wanna open up the throttle.

What about the Mamba Maxx? Having 2 seperate profiles, one for crawling and then another for speed?
the motor is what give you your punch or torque, an esc just controls what is available.

typically speed motors dont like to crawl and visa versa
Old 09-18-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yah thats true... maybe I'm asking too much then, its a big comprimise one way or the other.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Hand wound 35t's. And A 3 cell lipo.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:

IMHO,The Mamba Max is one of the best options for a crawling ESC out there. As far as having 2 separate profiles,I do believe you'd have to hook up with your PC to switch profiles.

Honestly,there's no way to have a set up that'll be great and crawling and speed bashing. There's different set up's that'll pack a mean punch and have plenty of wheel speed for a crawler. Like Jeff's 35t and 3 cell lipo or a 3025-8 outrunner and 10-11 cells. These set up's and a few others would be a bit much for a 2.2 crawler,but it'd be fun none the less. For a speed machine though,they'd suck.

IMHO,I think you'd be better off building a good set up for your WK as a crawler with a good amount of torque and wheel speed. Something like a Mamba Max/Crawl master set up from Holmes Hobbies(click the sig or PM JRH's) on a 3 cell lipo. If you want to bash around in the gravels or tear the flower beds up,get you a Stampede or something. There's several little bashers on the market that are cheap to get into and will provide hours of fun. Especially when you apply liberal amounts of HPI"stunt spray"
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

raptorman - thanks for the info! I was just talking to a friend and he said that I should look elsewhere for the "speed demon" in me, even suggested an E-Savage or Stampede... so I think I'll have to look into those later and put most of my effor into the crawler first.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

If you want the ultimate power source,PM JRH's. He's got some great options for crawler electronics. From just enough power to stupid 8mm shaft snapping power,he's got your set up.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

you could always just save your stock WK motor (27T) and use that for bashing and get a 55T-65T motor for crawling. If you solder on bullit conectors to the motor/ESC, changing them should only take a minute or two...

OR....

build two trucks!

2x Trucks = 2x the fun, right?
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I tried doing this a few years ago. I suggest having two vehicles as well. You can't have a good performing crawler that goes fast too.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
I tried doing this a few years ago. I suggest having two vehicles as well. You can't have a good performing crawler that goes fast too.

maybe your new cobalt puller motor?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #13

It does have both slow speed control and high top speed, but setting suspension up for great crawling and bashing can be difficult too.

I should put one in my WK and see what happens.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It does have both slow speed control and high top speed, but setting suspension up for great crawling and bashing can be difficult too.

I should put one in my WK and see what happens.
true.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
If you want the ultimate power source,PM JRH's. He's got some great options for crawler electronics. From just enough power to stupid 8mm shaft snapping power,he's got your set up.
I was reading about it(crawlmaster) somewhere on here and seems to be one of the motors to put on my list. The CrawlMaster or a Integy55t paired with a Mamba Maxx.

Once I get the WK and see where it is performance wise around here before making any decisions. But John seems to be the guy I talk to when time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
OR....

build two trucks!

2x Trucks = 2x the fun, right?
Theres a though!
Old 09-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #16
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
How long do you reckon my R2 would last behind that with a 10 cell pack?

Quote:
But John seems to be the guy I talk to when time comes.
Tru Dat!!
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
How long do you reckon my R2 would last behind that with a 10 cell pack?
I was running the 5 turn on a 3 cell lipo at the nats (not recommended) R2 held up fine. Since the throttle control is so fine, there isn't any jarring or jamming of the tranny as long as the vehicle isn't just driven pedal to the metal.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #18
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Since the throttle control is so fine, there isn't any jarring or jamming of the tranny as long as the vehicle isn't just driven pedal to the metal.
But that's exactly what I had in mind. :-( Maybe I'll just keep it slow.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #19

I wouldn't trust the current r2 tranny with any motor driven pedal to the metal. You have another one you can use?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #20
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
Thats what I was running at the nats.

IMHO,these are AWESOME little motors. These things have a huge comm and brushes. On top of the cobalt magnets,these things deliver a big level of power with a VERY smooth throttle curve. Didn't seem like overkill power like my 3025-8 but had more than enough to power out of the tightest of binds.

The one I was running was a 5 turn 7 pole motor. Being a 5 turn,it would get a bit warm pushing my porky super around. I think it would be better suited for a lighter 2.2. The 7 turn cobalt would probably be better for a super.