Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #41

Default sintered rotor

Where would one pick up one of the newer sintered rotors if you have the original crawler system. Would I be able to replace it myself?
Genis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 AM   #42
Rock Stacker

Unhappy

Just wired mine up today and it has a real bad glitch every 4 or 5 throttle apps. Car was on the bench in pieces with the components spread as far apart as possible. I'm going to try and contact Novak directly and try and get the problem worked out.
OldNube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #43

Genis,

Your local hobby shop should be able to order one for you if they go through normal distribution.

The part number for the 13 mm rotor is 5909.

If you can't find it that way you can buy it through our shopatron setup on our website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genis View Post
Where would one pick up one of the newer sintered rotors if you have the original crawler system. Would I be able to replace it myself?
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Talking G L I T C H Glitch Glitch Roll Crash $#!^

MINE IS ALSO GLITCHEEE BUT ONLY WHEN YOU NEED IT LIKE CRAWLING AROUND A CORNER ON A LEDGE ON THE VERGE OF ROLLING AND THEN-----GLITCH CRASH -5 POINTS

SOUNDS LIKE A ROOSTER PROBLEM I MAY NOT BE SMART BUT THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE THAT ARE.
I BOUGHT THIS ONE AS SOON AS IT CAME OUT. TRIED MOVING ELECTRONICS AND CABLES EVERY WHERE.

HELP BEFORE I GET LAST PLACE AGAIN
flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Default End of Hypocrisy!

I got my GoaT system today (two of 'em, actually) and installed one in Buster, my "daily driver". So now my sig makes sense. Gone is the 55t lathe (my last brushed motor), now I've got all the GoaT features.

I really like the expo throttle profile. Even though I'm using an R-1, which has more than enough expo settings, I tried out the expo in the GoaT, and it's hella sweet. Perfect if you use a cheapass radio.

Set the drag brake to max. I'm not sure how it'll react to the 2/3A cells, but given how my other Novak brushless systems run when the packs are all but dead, I don't think it's going to be an issue. It runs fine now and I haven't charged this pack in two weeks

Here's a pic. Gonna go crawl some before it gets dark.

Thanks Novak!

EDIT: While it drove okay with the Mini-T pack, it runs a whole lot better with a fullsize 3300 in there. My CG went to hell, but I'm such an awesome driver I can live with it
Attached Images

Last edited by microgoat; 10-10-2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added battery info
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Default Novak Crawler 21.5 Brushless Motor

As more and more drivers head toward rugged terrain instead of the smooth track, the need for more specialized crawler equipment has increased. With this in mind, Novak has created the Crawler 21.5 Brushless Motor (#3420). Though Novak’s 21.5 Brushless Crawler has many of the same great features as the Crawler 18.5 Brushless Motor (#3419), it has one key difference: It is even slower. With its super low-speed drivability and explosive torque, the Crawler 21.5 Brushless Motor is more equipped to tackle the harshest environments.

Novak's 21.5 Crawler Brushless Motor
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

I want to give Novak a big hand. I got my crawler system back from some warranty work and got a free sintered rotor upgrade and wanted to say thanks guys.
I posted in feedback but wasn't sure if yall saw it.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Default release

When can we expect see the goat 21.5's available Steve? , just checked the Novak home site and just says pre-order.

getting the AX-10 after the 16th of this month and would realy like to have that motor for it.
Gyyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
yep been building motors for over 13 years, not new to it. used hood alignment tool from Dan's and meter to set zero. was about 1/2 degree off mark on can. scratched a new mark on it.... even tried several other motors from an old reedy 13t to a brand new axiom 55t. all work the same way. stuttery forward and smooth as a baby's butt in reverse

Any chance you can give me some info on these tools?
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster View Post
I want to give Novak a big hand. I got my crawler system back from some warranty work and got a free sintered rotor upgrade and wanted to say thanks guys.
I posted in feedback but wasn't sure if yall saw it.
Thor, keep your old rotor. They're fantastic at magnetizing screwdrivers!
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

They kept it, but, I have a sintered rotor to replace my other Crawler System. The sintered rotors are seriously magnetic, they'll grab screws from several inches.
Yeah, glad you mentioned that Stu, all my screwdrivers are either non-magnetic or have de-magnetized. I got some magnets out of hard drives too I've stripped down at work, theyr pretty strong also.

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 10-05-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post

As more and more drivers head toward rugged terrain instead of the smooth track, the need for more specialized crawler equipment has increased. With this in mind, Novak has created the Crawler 21.5 Brushless Motor (#3420). Though Novak’s 21.5 Brushless Crawler has many of the same great features as the Crawler 18.5 Brushless Motor (#3419), it has one key difference: It is even slower. With its super low-speed drivability and explosive torque, the Crawler 21.5 Brushless Motor is more equipped to tackle the harshest environments.

Novak's 21.5 Crawler Brushless Motor
Aghhh! More stuff to buy, i can't wait for them to come out, and i haven't even installed the 2 goats i have, but i will definetly get the newer motors also
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #53

My ongoing saga.

My first goat failed within 4 or 5 battery packs. I sent it in on the 17th and have not received it back yet. Without an esc and motor I decided to purchase another goat. I have put a dozen or so battery packs through it without any issues, until today. Everything was working fine during the morning and early afternoon. I was showing a few of my buddies the tuber I had just built as they were quite impressed with its performance on the rocks today. So we were all looking at the truck when my buddie Shane said he smelled burning electronics. The truck was switched off and sure enough the heatsink was very warm to the touch. Mind you that the battery was connected and everything switched off for over 30 minutes. I disconnected the battery and packed everything up and went home.

Not 10 minutes ago I connected everything up like normal and unplugged the rx connector. I figured that I would try to protect all of the other electronics since the symptoms I had earlier were exactly what I experienced on my first failed goat. So turned on the switch and the esc let loose a fury of the magic white smoke.

Ive written an e-mail to Steve at Novak explaining my issues so far.

What is strange is that I have not changed a single thing with the electronics setup in my truck. Honestly I can only come to 2 conclusions: either I am doing something wrong, or there is a design flaw with the goat. I'm running regular Ni-Cd batteries, Futaba PCM RX and a Hitec 5955 servo. I cannot find a single thing incorrect with the installation, heck if I did do something incorrect I would expect an immediate failure, not one after a dozen battery packs.

My intent of this post is to not bash Novak. We should all feel fortunate that a company such as Novak, who has decades of experience in the RC racing industry, would spend the resources to develop a product that is specialized for our very small segment of the industry. I am very pleased with the feature set that they have given us on both the Goat and the Rooster Crawler (got one of these too). But these failures are completely unacceptable.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt on the first failure that I had with the Goat, but the second time around has really annoyed me.

Please feel free to respond with your issues, comments, etc. Take my opinion as just that, my opinion and nothing more. I will post up again when I have more information.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Unhappy

same here... i have the rooster crawler in my AX 10, it has always glitched... when i first built the truck, i had the esc, reciever, and antenna all mounted on top of the aluminum (radio) plate.. it glitched a bit, every now and then.. i was told by some people on here to mount the esc as far away from reciever and motor as possible, and keep al motor wires and signal wires seperate.. they are, now my truck glitches so bad and hard that it will sompletely (lock up) does nothing,... when you hit the trigger on the remote.. just the red light comes on on esc.. give it about 15 secs or so.. its good. then it will go for awhile.. .. now, when it glitches, it will freeze, but when it comes back on.. my truck will jump almost as the throttle was opened all the way...this is really hard on my drive train, i have already broke a drive shaft... if you want to see ics of my setup, i will post them if needed...
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #55

The best course of action for those of us having problems is to contact Novak. I just got my replacement Goat in the mail today. If it turns out bad, you guys will be the first to know.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I'm not having this issue with mine, it's smooth as silk forward or reverse. Power seems equal as well. I do get the occaisonal glitch but nothing too annoying (caps are installed) The drag brake with an Integy 55t is incredible.

Best esc I've ever tried...
That's true for me as well. Very smooth both forward and reverse and no glitching. My motors are Integy 75 V10 and, as Big said, the drag brake is even too powerfull.

Bye.
andreazinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Okay, heres the deal...I ran my Goat for about 5 min, turned it off, then I turned the *&@!!ing thing back on and it fried my $50.00 Lipo...Plugged another lipo in and found out it decided to short itself out...Nothing was touching metal or shorting on my end...

Thanks Novak for convincing me to stick with the Mamba Max because i KNOW they will warranty their products...

Stay Away...And yes I am a little pi$$ed...
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9popo View Post
Okay, heres the deal...I ran my Goat for about 5 min, turned it off, then I turned the *&@!!ing thing back on and it fried my $50.00 Lipo...Plugged another lipo in and found out it decided to short itself out...Nothing was touching metal or shorting on my end...

Thanks Novak for convincing me to stick with the Mamba Max because i KNOW they will warranty their products...

Stay Away...And yes I am a little pi$$ed...
Please contact charlie@teamnovak.com for assistance. Novak will take care of any problem with your system.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

well my novak crawler rooster decided to stop working for no reason
was told by novak there's no major issues with there crawler esc's, but after reading post here it appears thats not the case. was hoping to run my super next weekend at the GSRCRC comp but now that won't happen. should have gotton a proven crawler esc (M.M)
offlander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Please contact charlie@teamnovak.com for assistance. Novak will take care of any problem with your system.
Even though I shortened the 12'' motor wires and soldered on a Deans connector???
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/85567-official-novak-crawler-products-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
novak rooster crawler edition This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:16 PM